Windows 10: Windows.old cleanup recovery-amount mystery

Discus and support Windows.old cleanup recovery-amount mystery in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I decided to commit to the Windows 10 upgrade and get rid of the Windows.old folder, which was very large. After I ran the System Files Cleanup option... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by DrHow, Sep 11, 2015.

1. DrHow Win User

Windows.old cleanup recovery-amount mystery

I decided to commit to the Windows 10 upgrade and get rid of the Windows.old folder, which was very large. After I ran the System Files Cleanup option in Disk Cleanup, it reported that I could gain over 18GB by proceeding. So I did, and the Windows.old folder disappeared. However, my free space increased by only about 3GB. I am totally bewildered by this result. I would really appreciate it if someone could provide some insight.

One of my guesses is that Windows 10 was using some of the files in Windows.old, and that, before deleting the files it does not need, it copied the ones it does need over into the Windows folder. Another guess is that the Windows folder was compressed and that is no longer. It is now about 11GB. My vague memory is that it was about 7GB before.

I took a look around with Windirstat, and I could not see anything strange.

This little notebook only has 27.8GB of available on-board flash for bulk memory, of which only 5.3GB remain free. I can account for about 3GB of stuff I have installed; but I was hoping for a bit more head room. I have installed a 32GB SD card; but I would prefer not to have to use that to install programs. (I expect to use it for media files.)

:)

DrHow, Sep 11, 2015
  2. rider89pc Win User

Need to revert from Win10 to Win7 without Windows.old folder

it's been a long time since my Dell PC was upgraded from win7 to win10, so I think I can't do a rollback, and the windows.old folder is gone. Will I need to get the Win7 image on a disk from Dell and do a complete reinstall?

There is a mystery drive D on the machine (that I can't access) which might be a recovery partition or recovery media?

rider89pc, Sep 11, 2015
  3. Windows 10 Disk cleanup is not removing Windows.old

Hello Karthicka,

I am having a hard time finding a solution in Windows 10 for this problem; I upgraded to Windows 10 approximately 8 days ago.

When I open the Disk Cleanup app (by the means you describe or through the other interfaces), my Disk Cleanup's interface shows no options whatsoever related to older versions of Windows, nor is there any checkbox option that amounts to anywhere near as
    much data as my the "Windows.old" folder in my "OS (CWindows.old cleanup recovery-amount mystery :)" disk (which is a ~16.7G folder).

In other words, my Disk Cleanup application seems to be unaware or unable to detect the "Windows.old" folder.

Is there any way I can delete it without using Disk Cleanup?

jesusescudero IV, Sep 11, 2015
  4. Mansome Win User

Clean Reinstall Windows 10 using the compact OS option. That will make it take a lot less space. The compact OS is upgradeable between builds as well. I am running it now on my main PC that has a SSD.

Mansome, Sep 11, 2015
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    Can you explain how to do that, please?

NavyLCDR, Sep 11, 2015
  6. Berton Win User
    That "little notebook" sounds like the Dell Venue 8 Win8.1 Tablet I got several months ago [Upgraded to Win10], came with 32GB internal storage and less than half was available for added programs and data storage. It does have a slot for a MicroSD card and yesterday I received a 64GB card and works fine. The 64GB card is formatted as exFAT instead of FAT32 or NTFS [Windows has issues with over 32GB and FAT32 formatting although can use it if done by other means].

Berton, Sep 11, 2015
  7. DrHow Win User
    You don't have to guess about it, since you can click on "My System Specs". What you will see there is HP Stream 11 X360. It is different in important ways. It has an 11" screen. It has a keyboard with a touchpad pointing device in addition to a touch screen. It will function in pure tablet mode, but I almost always have the keyboard available. Its bulk memory is only eMMC as opposed to SSD. Its list price is comparable. I regard it as quite a bargain. (I got it even cheaper very slightly used on eBay.)

I'm still hoping someone can help explain the discrepancy between the expected bulk memory recovery and the actual result.

DrHow, Sep 11, 2015
  8. DrHow Win User

DrHow, Sep 11, 2015
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    Well, that will compress or uncompress the already installed Windows 10.

How do you set the compact OS option during a clean install?

NavyLCDR, Sep 11, 2015
  10. TrustMe Win User
    Are you sure the windows.old folder was actually deleted? I read even after using disk cleanup and CCleaner some people were reporting the windows.old folder would not delete. Someone posted a way to delete windows.old folder through the command prompt but I can't find it. That's how I deleted it on my computer. I read after 30 days it will delete with no problem.

TrustMe, Sep 11, 2015
  11. DrHow Win User
    Fairly sure. Windirstat was able to account for all the memory in usage, and I could not see any large block that could be attributed to Windows.old.

DrHow, Sep 12, 2015
  12. scm125 Win User
    I have a hp stream 14 with 32gb emmc just upgraded to win 10 home (free upgrade) bought for travelling/watching
    media etc just building up to doing a fresh install/repair to clear some space. have looked at windows old files and disk
    management at system reserved partitions trying to decide best way to go. anybody know how small can the footprint be
    with a compressed fresh install? would also like to know if you can run some software from usb stick/micro sd card if there's
    not enough free hard drive space

scm125, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows.old cleanup recovery-amount mystery - Similar Threads - old cleanup recovery

2. Printer device mysteriously no longer recognized then strange recovery

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Printer device mysteriously no longer recognized then strange recovery: Canon Pixma MX860, multi-printer (print, fax, scan). Was working just fine, connected via USB to my HP laptop running Windows 10 20H2. I printed a document. Next, in order to reach for something I removed the USB cable for the printer, then plugged it back in. After that, no...
  3. Mystery recovery

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Mystery recovery: Three 80Gb 'spinning disk' HDDs that were viable in the PC I'm writing this post from, became undetectable by it. But if connected to another PC, ALSO RUNNING Win10v2004, they were 'viable'. In this other PC, I cloned to one of them, and that one is now visible in this PC...
  4. Mystery recovery

in Windows 10 Support
    Mystery recovery: 80Gb 'spinning disk' HDDs that were viable in the PC I'm writing this post from, became undetectable by it. But if connected to another PC, they were 'viable'. In this other PC, I cloned to one of them, and that one is now visible in this PC again. Can anyone make sense of...
  5. Old devices and driver cleanup (one command)

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Old devices and driver cleanup (one command): Found this little gem of a command today. Wanted to share it with you. Nice to schedule this as a task running once a month? Rundll32.exe c:\windows\system32\pnpclean.dll,RunDLL_PnpClean /DEVICES /DRIVERS /FILES [/MAXCLEAN] For pnpclean output see...
  6. Recovery old file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Recovery old file: Why can't I see files and folders saved to my external HDD. I am download windows Windows 10 withit make my harddisk bootable ? They should be there because I didn't press the deletion button or format the disk. So annoying. Where have they gone? How to make them show up...
  7. Disk Cleanup showing no amount of temporary files?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Disk Cleanup showing no amount of temporary files?: I recently reverted the temporary file location from a secondary drive back onto my main drive. Issue is, windows 10 storage settings and Disk Cleanup isn’t showing me any amount of temporary files anymore.. Does it only show after a set amount of days? I downloaded...
  8. Disk Cleanup cant remove 44GB of old windows installations

in Windows 10 Support
    Disk Cleanup cant remove 44GB of old windows installations: Hey I decided today to cleanup my C:/ drive a bit, and I saw that I have a windows.old file. Its size is 4.52GB on disk. When I started Disk Cleanup, it said I can 44.6GB worth of old windows installations. does not seem right at all since windows.old is at 4.52GB only. Is...
  9. Recovery Drive Mystery

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Recovery Drive Mystery: I prepared a large capacity USB flash drive formatted with NTFS ready to create a Recovery Drive. The first two attempts took a long time before reporting there was a problem. The third attempt also took a long time but everything looked like it had worked OK. However, when I...
  10. Old Recovery partition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Old Recovery partition: Hi there! My question is about the Windows Recovery Environment partition(s). Looks like I have one too many! Starting at an offset of 1,024KB, diskpart sees the following. Partition 1 EFI SYSTEM 100 Mb Required: No (hidden) FAT32 (Volume #3) Partition 2 "old" WIN RE...