Windows 10: windows.old crashed my harddrive on my desktop

Discus and support windows.old crashed my harddrive on my desktop in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I deleted window.old and rebooted it would not start. I get past spinning wheel and the windows logo and then it goes black. I tried to reinstall and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Jimaz, Sep 2, 2015.

1. Jimaz Win User

windows.old crashed my harddrive on my desktop

I deleted window.old and rebooted it would not start. I get past spinning wheel and the windows logo and then it goes black. I tried to reinstall and it doesn't even see my harddrive anymore. I'm seriously thinking of just buying a new HDD. Is there anyway to fix this?

:)

Jimaz, Sep 2, 2015

2. windows.old deletion crashed my harddrive

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

• Have you made the USB a bootable device?
    Please follow the steps as below and check.

Step 1: Remove any external devices connected to the computer.

Step 2: Download the Windows 10 ISO (using another computer)

Refer to the article below and download Windows 10 ISO using Media Creation Tool.

Download Windows 10

Step 3: Make a USB flash drive bootable

Refer to the article to download Windows USB/DVD Download Tool to transfer ISO to USB flash drive to make it bootable device.

Windows USB/DVD Download Tool

Important: Ensure there is no data in USB flash drive before making it bootable device. If you have any data, back it up accordingly.

Step 4: Refer to the sectionUse installation media to troubleshoot or re-install Windows
    from the article below.

Recovery options in Windows 10

Hope this information is helpful. Please feel free to reply in case you face any other issues with Windows in future.

Niranjan Manjhi, Sep 2, 2015
  3. cazador31 Win User
    windows.old deletion crashed my harddrive

When I deleted windows. old my computer will not start up anymore. I tried using a repair dish, and a windows 10 ISO disk. It kept telling me there was a boot error and cannot be repaired.. Is there anything I can do to get it back?

cazador31, Sep 2, 2015
  4. mrpumpkin Win User

Is there an error when installing, or just nothing? Do you have a USB or DVD listed as a boot device before the hard drive?

mrpumpkin, Sep 2, 2015
  5. Jimaz Win User
    When I tried to reinstall all I got was a black screen. It with USB and DVD..Neither worked

Jimaz, Sep 2, 2015
  6. mrpumpkin Win User
    Go into the BIOS, and make sure that either your USB and DVD are set to the 1st and second boot device, and that the hard drive is 3rd. If your HD is 1st, then your system will just keep trying to boot the corrupted OS and not your install media. Also, while you are checking the boot order, see if your bios is UEFI.

mrpumpkin, Sep 2, 2015
  7. mrpumpkin Win User
    If you can get your USB or DVD to boot, here are some instructions on how to perform a clean install.

mrpumpkin, Sep 2, 2015
  8. windows.old crashed my harddrive on my desktop

How did you remove windows.old? After many times I learned that the way was using the Disk Cleanup utility and check the remove system files options. No problems rebooting and a few GB of disk space saved.

martyfelker, Sep 2, 2015
  9. Jimaz Win User
    I used disk cleanup also I have tried all the posts from above and still no luck..I can get into the bios, but I do not see UEFI anywhere

Jimaz, Sep 2, 2015
  10. mrpumpkin Win User
    Well, I did it with CCleaner. My BSOD said 'Critical process died'. I had never seen a form of the word "death" in an actual BSOD until that moment. Kind of took me off guard.

mrpumpkin, Sep 2, 2015
  11. Jimaz Win User
    looks like a new HDD is on the horizon

Jimaz, Sep 2, 2015
  12. mrpumpkin Win User
    mrpumpkin, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. windows.old crashed my harddrive on my desktop - Similar Threads - old crashed harddrive

2. OneDrive files on my desktop, I want only my harddrive files on my desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OneDrive files on my desktop, I want only my harddrive files on my desktop: I recently purchased a new PC with Windows 11. As a default, the desktop consists of all OneDrive files, folders, docs, pdf's, etc. Although I want all items that I save to my PC to also be saved on OneDrive, I want my Desktop to consist of files, folders, icons, docs, etc....
  3. OneDrive files on my desktop, I want only my harddrive files on my desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    OneDrive files on my desktop, I want only my harddrive files on my desktop: I recently purchased a new PC with Windows 11. As a default, the desktop consists of all OneDrive files, folders, docs, pdf's, etc. Although I want all items that I save to my PC to also be saved on OneDrive, I want my Desktop to consist of files, folders, icons, docs, etc....
  4. canot see my harddrive in the window

canot see my harddrive in the window: i have "Assus proart x570 motherboard ,window 10 op 64 bit system. I have install hard drive. i canot see this hard drve in window or in motherboard startup page.. Please help me to resolve this problem. Thanks....
  5. Fonts won't in my folders windows/fonts from my old harddrive.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Fonts won't in my folders windows/fonts from my old harddrive.: hi sir/madam,I take all fonts 640 from my old PC to my new PC in windows/fonts but 463 fonts, should be 640.I can't find how to fix to added fonts on my windows/fonts.Windows 11.I'm grateful if anyone help.thanks...
  6. Fonts won't in my folders windows/fonts from my old harddrive.

Fonts won't in my folders windows/fonts from my old harddrive.: hi sir/madam,I take all fonts 640 from my old PC to my new PC in windows/fonts but 463 fonts, should be 640.I can't find how to fix to added fonts on my windows/fonts.Windows 11.I'm grateful if anyone help.thanks...
  7. Recover an old Harddrive with Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Recover an old Harddrive with Windows 10: Hello there!I hope you can help me for I didn't find a discussion with the same problem as mine.The situation: Some days ago my Laptop 4-5 years old Acer 5 Nitro Black Edition died. The reason seems to be a broken main-board. So I bought a new Laptop, also an Acer 5 Nitro. I...
  8. Windows 10 Will not Boot on my SSD unless the old Harddrive is plugged it.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Will not Boot on my SSD unless the old Harddrive is plugged it.: So, I fresh installed Win 10 last night on to a new SSD Everything was peachy. This morning I turned on my computer to a window error unable to boot. I checked Bios settings, Priority is set to try booting from the new Install on the SSD first. Other drives 2nd 3rd and...
  9. My old desktop

in Windows 10 Customization
    My old desktop: I got Windows 10 when it first came out, i had some updates a while ago and this morning it took for ever for my desktop to appear and when it did it was not my original desktop that i had before. How do i get my old desktop back????...
  10. Is my harddrive faulty?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Is my harddrive faulty?: I got a seagate 1 terabyte desktop sshd that i have been using in my computer for storing music and movies. But after swapping my motherboard to asus h81m-k, my computer no longer registers it. Is faulty? 114895