Windows 10: Windows.old - how to prevent the upgrade backup?

Discus and support Windows.old - how to prevent the upgrade backup? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hello people, I was wondering if there's any way to prevent Windows 10 from saving the old build in Windows.old when upgrading to a new one. I know... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by dexsk, Jul 29, 2016.

1. dexsk Win User

Windows.old - how to prevent the upgrade backup?

Hello people,

I was wondering if there's any way to prevent Windows 10 from saving the old build in Windows.old when upgrading to a new one. I know about backup being a safety measure if something goes wrong, but I have more faith in Microsoft doing it right than in my SSD surviving the extra write load on it compared to Win 7 for very long. For backup purposes I have a regularly updated system image that I store on a normal HDD that's gonna last way longer with the same write operations count than any SSD, so I technically don't need the build backup and I'd like to get rid of it, tell Windows not to do it.

Any thoughts?
    Thanks

Dex

:)

dexsk, Jul 29, 2016

2. I just upgraded to W 10. How can I prevent W 10 from deleting my C:\Windows.old ?

I just upgraded to W 10. Is there a way to prevent W 10 from deleting my C:\ Windows.old ?

EunicePaulett, Jul 29, 2016
  3. Installation media & ISO conversion

Creating the ISO for another computer overwrites nothing. Nor does upgrading. Only removing the windows.old folder does prevent rolling back

ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP), Jul 29, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Jul 29, 2016
  5. Ztruker Win User
    I don't think you need to be concerned about wearing out your SSD. What make and model number do you have. Unless it's really old it will last a looonnngggg time *Smile

My SSD is maybe 5 years old now (Samsung 840 EVO 250GB) and has written 6.79TB of data to date according to Samsung Magician.

Ztruker, Jul 30, 2016
  6. Mystere Win User
    You cannot stop it, because the backup is a vital part of the upgrade process. By that, I mean that Windows does not make a copy of Windows , then upgrade over your original files. Instead, it renames the folders (this is a simple operation that does not involve copying the files) and then installs the new OS clean. After the OS is installed, it migrates files from your Windows.old (including registry entries) to the new OS folder.

So, without Windows.old it's not possible to perform an upgrade.

Mystere, Jul 30, 2016
  7. Ztruker Win User
    There has to be some copying of files going on since the \Users directory tree is also contained under Windows.old.

I don't have one I can look at any more, but what about the Program Files, Program Files (X86) and ProgramData directories. Aren't they also copied under Windows.old?

Ztruker, Jul 30, 2016
  8. dexsk Win User

Samsung 840 120GB here, looks like it's gonna hold a good long time then *Smile and Mystere, thanks for the explanation, that summed it up nicely *Smile

dexsk, Jul 31, 2016
  9. Mystere Win User
    Yes, that's what I meant by "migrate". It copies files, as well as registry entries from the Windows.old users folder to the new one. The point being that the copy can't be stopped if you are doing an upgrade, because the copy is used as part of the upgrade process.

Mystere, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows.old - how to prevent the upgrade backup? - Similar Threads - old prevent upgrade

2. How to Remove Old Windows Backups from Cloud

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to Remove Old Windows Backups from Cloud: Ok, this seems to be a simple question without a straight answer. I have re-imaged my computer due to soooo many issues as of late that I have over 15 reinstalls. How do I remove the backups from the cloud? I want to delete them all. I have no reason or purpose to keep these,...
  3. How to Remove Old Windows Backups from Cloud

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to Remove Old Windows Backups from Cloud: Ok, this seems to be a simple question without a straight answer. I have re-imaged my computer due to soooo many issues as of late that I have over 15 reinstalls. How do I remove the backups from the cloud? I want to delete them all. I have no reason or purpose to keep these,...
  4. How to know what is preventing the upgrade ?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to know what is preventing the upgrade ?: I'm stuck on w10 1909. Sometimes I see the auto update to upgrade and it just disappear when selected and I get that it's not ready yet. I checked on the ms web page for known issue but found no mentioned incompatibilities. Is there a tool, switch or anything that could tell...
  5. Bitlocker preventing backup

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Bitlocker preventing backup: My OS Win10 is not letting me use an external HDD as a backup drive without using bitlocker to encrypt it. I do not want to encrypt this drive and need a workaround so my OS will allow me to backup my files to this drive without enabling bitlocker encryption....
  6. Prevent windows from upgrading

Prevent windows from upgrading: How can I prevent Windows from automatically upgrading. I have an older HP laptop which is currently running Windows 10 1709. And this machine works flawlessly. However, any update past 1709 i.e. 1803, 1809, 1903 or 1909 causes the machine not to work. The most common...
  7. Restoring an old backup

Restoring an old backup: in 2009 I backed up my wife's data onto discs before she got rid of her laptop. I now want to restore the data to my Windows 10 laptop but cannot find any software. Any ideas please....
  8. Backup from old windows

Backup from old windows: I recently had my computer serviced and windows was changed from 7 to 10. All my music and such was backed up and placed in a folder on my desktop. Now I don't know how to remove the items. Is there a simply solution to complete this task at my wits end....
  9. How to backup Windows 10 upgrade

How to backup Windows 10 upgrade: I purchased windows 8.1 and got free upgrade to Windows 10. Now my question is if I want to reinstall my OS then I only have Win 8.1 disk with me, what should I do ?. Is there any way to backup the Windows 10 upgrade or else I will have to spend long hours downloading the Win...
  10. How prevent the upgrade?

How prevent the upgrade?: Hi guys, I reserved the upgrade from win 7 to win 10 now I don't want to download it anymore (I keep on having the boot.wim issue) is there a way to prevent the upgrade? thanks in advance 9534