Windows 10: Windows.old on my SSD

Discus and support Windows.old on my SSD in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a question about the folder of Windows.old on my Solid State Drive where Windows program are. Can I move this folder to flash drive or backup to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by imcanadian, Sep 3, 2018.

1. imcanadian Win User

Windows.old on my SSD

I have a question about the folder of Windows.old on my Solid State Drive where Windows program are. Can I move this folder to flash drive or backup to another drive. The date of Windows.old is on August 31, 2018. The reason why I want to move is so I can have more room on my SSD.

John

:)

imcanadian, Sep 3, 2018
  2. exodusprime1337 Win User

windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, Sep 3, 2018
  3. topgundcp Win User
    Cloning to SSD then swapping drive letters

@SamHobbs
    What you want done is very simple and can be done in short period of time. Here's my suggestion:
    There's 2 modes that Windows can be installed: UEFI and the old legacy MBR. Open Disk Management, look at the disk where your C drive is, if there's a
    1. EFI System Partition, your Windows was installed using UEFI.
    2. System Reserved partition, your Windows was installed using MBR
    Next, Connect your SSD to an available Sata port (no need to format or do anything). Download: Macrium Reflect Free . Install and run. Follow the steps below:
    1. From Macrium, click on image this disk under your C drive and save it to either an Internal or External Drive. This will create a single backup image of the whole disk containing your C drive.
    2. Again, from Macrium, click on Restore tab and select the image created from step 1, Select your SSD as the destination drive, click Next->Finish
    3. Exit Macrium. If your Windows was installed using MBR, Open disk management and make sure the SSD is marked "Active" else go to next step.
    4. Shutdown your PC. Disconnect the HD containing Windows C drive then connect your SSD to it.
    5. Reboot. Your PC should boot and the Windows should have C as the drive letter.

NOTE: The procedure above is to backup your Windows to an image file then copy it back to the SSD. This ensures proper cluster size aligment for the SSD. In addition, Macrium also perform Trimming for the SSD. This is more preferable than cloning.

topgundcp, Sep 3, 2018
  4. WesKlatt Win User

Windows.old on my SSD

Upgrading HP SSD drive on HP 750-524

I purchased an HP Envy tower with a 128Gb SSD which is where Windows is installed, I have purchased a new 1TB SSD drive that I would like to replace the 128 GB drive with. My machine did not come with the Windows 10 Media, what steps do I need to take before
    I install the new drive and install windows.

• Where do I get the Windows 10 install
    • What steps are needed to create an Install disk
    • Do I have to deactivate my old install before removing the old drive.
    Please let me know if there are any other considerations.

Best Regards,

Wes

WesKlatt, Sep 3, 2018
Thema:

Windows.old on my SSD

1. Windows.old on my SSD - Similar Threads - old SSD

2. Adding a SSD keeping old HD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Adding a SSD keeping old HD: Putting and SSD in the system and will just do a fresh install of windows 10 and make it C:\. I know about going to settings, system, storage, and changing the destinations. But will everything be found OK, or do I need to reinstall all the programs?...
  3. New Computer with boot from SSD & old computer's boot HDD as secondary

in Windows 10 Support
    New Computer with boot from SSD & old computer's boot HDD as secondary: Greetings. I just built a new computer with an SSD boot drive and the boot HDD from the old computer as a second drive. Both drives have Win10-1803 on them, and each is bootable in the new PC. In the interest of conserving space on the SSD, I want to install programs on both...
  4. Replacing old HD with SSD - product key question

Replacing old HD with SSD - product key question: The hard drive in my laptop is dying. I am upgrading to an SSD this weekend. I have a couple of hopefully quick questions. My laptop originally came with Windows 8.1. As soon as I was able to I did the free upgrade to Windows 10. I really do not want to purchase a copy of...
  5. Use for old SSD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Use for old SSD: I have a new computer coming with an SSD and HDD. I have an old 256GB SSD from the old system that is in good condition and I have an external box with a SATA/USB connection. Is there any good use for the old SSD? 109554
  6. Windows 10 installed on old HDD and new SSD, willl it cause problems ?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 installed on old HDD and new SSD, willl it cause problems ?: I have recently bought a Samsung 250G SSD and installed windows on it and still have my old harddrive, it was kind of in a spur of the moment thing and I did not export some settings from certain applications dont have conf files that I can copyto the new SSD and require me...
  7. Allocation of new SSD and removal of old after cloning.....

Allocation of new SSD and removal of old after cloning.....: Hi guys Would really appreciate some help here, and hopefully I'll be able to explain in as simplest terms as possible so as not to confuse. It may be a bit long winded but I think for someone to be able to help me they need to understand the why's and wherefore's lol - so...
  8. Clear Old SSD Files?

Clear Old SSD Files?: so i upgrade to a 250ssd samsung from my old 120gb kingston, how to clear the old 120gb kingston files? i dont have another sata but i have a Orico Enclosure 85855
  9. Format old SSD with Windows 10

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Format old SSD with Windows 10: Hi All.... I recently upgraded to a PCI SSD and want to format the SSD with the old installation files on it and use it for storage. What would be the proper way to go about this with both versions on those drives being Windows 10, and the new PCI SSD Windows 10 Creators...
  10. Booting from cloned SSD, removal of old installation

Booting from cloned SSD, removal of old installation: Hi all, I'm in a bit of a situation of my own causing here. I had a lot of trouble opening up my new laptop to install an nvme drive (HP among others has begun using locktite like solutions to render maintenance and repair of devices difficult), so I installed the nvme...