Windows 10: Windows.old on my SSD

Discus and support Windows.old on my SSD in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a question about the folder of Windows.old on my Solid State Drive where Windows program are. Can I move this folder to flash drive or backup to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by imcanadian, Sep 3, 2018.

1. Windows.old on my SSD

I have a question about the folder of Windows.old on my Solid State Drive where Windows program are. Can I move this folder to flash drive or backup to another drive. The date of Windows.old is on August 31, 2018. The reason why I want to move is so I can have more room on my SSD.

John

:)

imcanadian, Sep 3, 2018

2. windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, Sep 3, 2018
  3. topgundcp Win User
    Cloning to SSD then swapping drive letters

@SamHobbs
    What you want done is very simple and can be done in short period of time. Here's my suggestion:
    There's 2 modes that Windows can be installed: UEFI and the old legacy MBR. Open Disk Management, look at the disk where your C drive is, if there's a
    1. EFI System Partition, your Windows was installed using UEFI.
    2. System Reserved partition, your Windows was installed using MBR
    Next, Connect your SSD to an available Sata port (no need to format or do anything). Download: Macrium Reflect Free . Install and run. Follow the steps below:
    1. From Macrium, click on image this disk under your C drive and save it to either an Internal or External Drive. This will create a single backup image of the whole disk containing your C drive.
    2. Again, from Macrium, click on Restore tab and select the image created from step 1, Select your SSD as the destination drive, click Next->Finish
    3. Exit Macrium. If your Windows was installed using MBR, Open disk management and make sure the SSD is marked "Active" else go to next step.
    4. Shutdown your PC. Disconnect the HD containing Windows C drive then connect your SSD to it.
    5. Reboot. Your PC should boot and the Windows should have C as the drive letter.

NOTE: The procedure above is to backup your Windows to an image file then copy it back to the SSD. This ensures proper cluster size aligment for the SSD. In addition, Macrium also perform Trimming for the SSD. This is more preferable than cloning.

topgundcp, Sep 3, 2018
  4. WesKlatt Win User

Windows.old on my SSD

Upgrading HP SSD drive on HP 750-524

I purchased an HP Envy tower with a 128Gb SSD which is where Windows is installed, I have purchased a new 1TB SSD drive that I would like to replace the 128 GB drive with. My machine did not come with the Windows 10 Media, what steps do I need to take before
    I install the new drive and install windows.

• Where do I get the Windows 10 install
    • What steps are needed to create an Install disk
    • Do I have to deactivate my old install before removing the old drive.
    Please let me know if there are any other considerations.

Best Regards,

Wes

WesKlatt, Sep 3, 2018
Thema:

Windows.old on my SSD

1. Windows.old on my SSD - Similar Threads - old SSD

2. Windows 10 boots only from old SSD, EasyBCD shows logical drive error

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 boots only from old SSD, EasyBCD shows logical drive error: I got a new PC with m2 nvme SSD and I also took my old SSD from the old PC. Now after installing WIndows on the new SSD it does not boot when I select the new SSD in boot menu, only when I select the old SSD (which is labeled as Windows Boot Manager in UEFI) and select one...
  3. Added SSD to Old Laptop

Added SSD to Old Laptop: I purchased an Samsung 860 EVO SATA 500GB SSD and installed it in my old ASUS X53U laptop. Cloning the drive was very straightforward and it boots up nicely and seems to be working ok but I have a couple of questions. The BIOS reports LEGACY BIOS but UEFI is an option....
  4. reinstalling windows 10 on a new SSD hard drive from my old hard drive. i have no...

reinstalling windows 10 on a new SSD hard drive from my old hard drive. i have no...: reinstalling windows 10 on a new SSD hard drive from my old hard drive. i have no installation disk https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/reinstalling-windows-10-on-a-new-ssd-hard-drive/499e6420-936f-446c-a65a-9c590dfb6e3b
  5. I had my windows copied over to my new SSD and now I can't delete the old one

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I had my windows copied over to my new SSD and now I can't delete the old one: I went to a computer shop to have my windows copied over to my new SSD card and I saw that one of my drives still has windows on it, even though I'm not using it anymore but it won't let me delete all the files, there's still a few left, it says that I don't have permission...
  6. Connecting old SSD to a reset Windows drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Connecting old SSD to a reset Windows drive: I had a SSD (E:) and a Windows drive (C:) before resetting my computer. These were connected and had the same names of users (Admin, MyName, Public), and the actual SSD was functioning with the drive. I just reset my computer (using safestart) and the SSD (now D:) has still...
  7. Couldn't re-activate with new motherboard and old SSD

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Couldn't re-activate with new motherboard and old SSD: HI there, Recently I upgraded my PC with new motherboard, new CPU and new RAM. I plugged back my old SSD to the new motherboard. However, when I logged into the Windows (it is win10 pro, offer from win7 free upgrade). The activation of windows became invalid and keep...
  8. Moving old HDD(win 10 pro 64bit) to newer upgraded laptop with an SSD HDD already installed

Moving old HDD(win 10 pro 64bit) to newer upgraded laptop with an SSD HDD already installed: I am trying to move the HDD or Data (win 10 pro 64bit) from my old laptop to a new laptop that I have installed an SSD drive in with a Win 10 iso already on it. Could someone outline the process for me to transfer the data to the new drive but keep the integrity of my data...
  9. Can`t get my laptop to boot from m.2 SSd instead of old HDD

Can`t get my laptop to boot from m.2 SSd instead of old HDD: Hi fams, so basically today I recieved my order for my 240 Gb M.2 SSD, all nice and fancy. Everything alright with the installation, I own an 2018 HP OMEN-15, removed the battery, installed the ssd, cloned OS to ssd via Macrium Reflect, shut down the laptop, removed the...
  10. Old system died, moved SSD to new system, cant reactivate windows 10

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Old system died, moved SSD to new system, cant reactivate windows 10: I have a windows 7 I've had for at least 8 years and when Win 10 came around, I took the free upgrade. But my old Pc finally died on me and I bought myself a ryzen 5 2600 and everything in order to get back at it. But now I cant seem to reactivate windows 10. I really don't...