Windows 10: Windows.old question

Discus and support Windows.old question in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; So, I'm a little worried about doing the upcoming upgrade from win 8.1 to win 10. Because during upgrades it creates a windows.old folder which is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by bobsagetfullhou, Jun 9, 2015.

1. Windows.old question

So, I'm a little worried about doing the upcoming upgrade from win 8.1 to win 10. Because during upgrades it creates a windows.old folder which is almost has a complete backup of your C: drive. My only problem is, I have a 120gb SSD and 100gb is already being used. I'm worried that during the upgrade there won't be enough room for my windows.old folder to be created and some folders might just be discarded into the nether.

Does anybody have any info on what will happen in this case?

:)

bobsagetfullhou, Jun 9, 2015

2. Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library - Runtime Error! Explorer.exe crashes!

sir I have a question, I have 2 "Windows.old" which is "Windows.old" and "Windows.old(1)" should I delete them both?

Martin JamesCorpuz, Jun 9, 2015
  3. Questions regarding Windows.old Folder

I'm sorry but I was not able to delete the folder windows.old. I just cela the disk but only recover 5 GB.

The message received was that I don't have the autorization. I need to recover some space in my disk, as I have before with windows 8.1

thanks and regards

MaurizioBonacchi, Jun 9, 2015
  4. BunnyJ New Member

Windows.old question

You can delete it and there will be no issues if you decide that you don't need to roll back. Shawn has instructions but one way to get it done is to use Disk Cleanup.

BunnyJ, Jun 9, 2015
  5. I know I can delete it. My issue was I was not sure windows would have enough space on my HD to create it in the first place. Since I only have 20gb and windows.old is sometimes larger than that.

bobsagetfullhou, Jun 9, 2015
  6. BunnyJ New Member
    It should help out to remove it and see what happens. But, you many want to get a separate HDD and move some of the things you can to that drive. That would free up space. I use an SSD for programs/OS and a separate HDD for data.

BunnyJ, Jun 9, 2015
  7. Wynona Win User
    Three of my machines have an external drive for files. I keep everything over there except for Windows and my programs.

Wynona, Jun 9, 2015
  8. batlhilz Win User

Windows.old question

win 10 build 10135 is roughly 14,4Gb installed

batlhilz, Jun 9, 2015
  9. I'm not sure anyone but MS can give you a definitive answer - you might want to check the Insider community forums to see if that question has been asked & answered. If you don't find the question, ask for more information from MS.
    Windows Insider Program - Threads

There might be information in the wiki pages too
    Windows Insider Program - Wiki

I suspect that the installer does a pre-check for disk space and bails if there is not enough

The easiest thing to do is move data off the SSD by creating folders on a different drive for Documents, Music, Pictures, and Videos. Then add those folders to the respective Libraries. You might also want to make the folder on the 2nd drive the default save location for each type.

I think you can move the Downloads folder in Win7 by right clicking the folder
    select the location tab
    press move and pick or create a new folder on drive 2
    then press ok
    answer Yes to do you want to move the files

You might also want to move your temp folder %TEMP%
    See if there is a lot of space consumed in temp - clean up what is not needed (probably most of it can be removed)
    Then decide if you want to store temporary files on the 2nd drive
    This location is defined in Environment variables
    Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\System > Advanced system settings > Advanced tab > Environment Variables
    Change the upper pane (user vars)
    Select each var , edit and provide a new folder location
    Note: this only defines the location, it does not move any files
    This change takes affect after a logout or restart

Moving folders to a 2nd drive implies that the 2nd drive will always be available.

You cannot, unfortunately, move your entire profile - the upgrade will complain (at least it sued to complain) and tell you to move it back to C:

Slartybart, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Windows.old question

1. Windows.old question - Similar Threads - old question

2. Old Question: Why am I getting notification of microsoft account problem to continue using...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Old Question: Why am I getting notification of microsoft account problem to continue using...: why am I getting notification of microsoft account problem to continue using apps between devices. Manson - MSFT Replied to this question on October 18, 2023. I can not find the "Accounts > Email & accounts" shown in the response How do I fix this problem NOW?...
  3. Old Question: Why am I getting notification of microsoft account problem to continue using...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Old Question: Why am I getting notification of microsoft account problem to continue using...: why am I getting notification of microsoft account problem to continue using apps between devices. Manson - MSFT Replied to this question on October 18, 2023. I can not find the "Accounts > Email & accounts" shown in the response How do I fix this problem NOW?...
  4. Old Question: Why am I getting notification of microsoft account problem to continue using...

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Curious question about Old OEM Keys on Windows XP

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Curious question about Old OEM Keys on Windows XP: My first PC was in October 2002 I as a curious question about OEM Keys I basically got my question answered I understand there tied to the motherboard and doesn’t matter often you use the PC or how long you leave the PC off for you’ll still receive updates. But this time its...
  6. Curious question about Old OEM Keys on Windows XP

Curious question about Old OEM Keys on Windows XP: My first PC was in October 2002 I as a curious question about OEM Keys I basically got my question answered I understand there tied to the motherboard and doesn’t matter often you use the PC or how long you leave the PC off for you’ll still receive updates. But this time its...
  7. Unfortunately MY laptop is broken now and i am unable to access the old Windows.my question...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unfortunately MY laptop is broken now and i am unable to access the old Windows.my question...: Hello guys, I have purchased my laptop that came with a preinstalled windows key some years ago. my windows was updated to windows 10 later.unfortunately the laptop is broken now and i am unable to access the old Windows.my question is it possible to get the windows key...
  8. Unfortunately MY laptop is broken now and i am unable to access the old Windows.my question...

Unfortunately MY laptop is broken now and i am unable to access the old Windows.my question...: Hello guys, I have purchased my laptop that came with a preinstalled windows key some years ago. my windows was updated to windows 10 later.unfortunately the laptop is broken now and i am unable to access the old Windows.my question is it possible to get the windows key...
  9. Unfortunately MY laptop is broken now and i am unable to access the old Windows.my question...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  10. Not really a new question as I recently upgraded my old Sony Vaio Duo 13 to W10 & now BT...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Not really a new question as I recently upgraded my old Sony Vaio Duo 13 to W10 & now BT...: Seems to be a theme regarding no bluetooth on here regarding these older machines. I checked out the Sony web site but no help there so a bit stuck. Ideally I would like to get this sorted without resorting to an external bluetooth dongle so if anyone has a link to a driver...