Windows 10: Windows.old will NOT delete with Cleanup option!

Discus and support Windows.old will NOT delete with Cleanup option! in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi, I did a Reset PC and I want to remove the Windows.old folder but the popular method of using System Cleanup is not working for me. I had originally... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by orlando1974, Aug 18, 2018.

1. Windows.old will NOT delete with Cleanup option!

Hi, I did a Reset PC and I want to remove the Windows.old folder but the popular method of using System Cleanup is not working for me. I had originally tried to just delete it before discovering that I couldn't get rid of it all, so my folder if approx 36.6 MB but it's stubborn and is persisting despite the Cleanup method. And just deleting won't work either. Which is why I'm escalating here to see if someone can offer me help - there must be a way to do it that is beyond my knowledge. Maybe a command prompt?

:)

orlando1974, Aug 18, 2018

2. Cannot delete Windows OLD using disc cleanup.

Hi Peter,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.

• What happens when you run disk cleanup? Do you get an option to select previous OS?
    • Do you receive any error message when you run disk cleanup?
    • Why you want to remove Windows.old folder?
    You may follow the below steps and check if it helps.

• In search type disk cleanup and hit enter.
    • Click on cleanup system files.
    • Under files to delete select previous operating system and click
      OK.

Note: Windows.old folder contains all the important files (user data, Program Files, Windows files, etc.) from the older version of Windows that was installed on your computer. However, before deleting it, I would suggest you to browse through
    the folder and make sure you don’t have any important files in there. Having done that, you can go ahead and delete the folder.

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

ThofikhAhamad, Aug 18, 2018
  3. Windows old files deleting

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query at Microsoft community. I will be glad to assist you.

I suggest you follow this steps and check if it helps.

• Open Disk Cleanup by clicking the Start button. In the search box, type Disk Cleanup, and then, in the list of results, click Disk Cleanup.

• If you're prompted to choose a drive, click the drive you just installed Windows on, and then click OK.

• In the Disk Cleanup dialog box, on the Disk Cleanup tab, click Clean up system files.

• If you're again prompted to choose a drive, click the drive you just installed Windows on, and then click OK.

• Select the Previous Windows installation(s) check box, and any other check boxes for the files you want to delete, and then click OK.

• In the message that appears, click Delete Files.
    Hope this helps.

For further assistance, you can post your query in Microsoft Community.

Thank you.

Rakesh Narayanaswamy, Aug 18, 2018
  4. DaveM121 Win User

Windows.old will NOT delete with Cleanup option!

deleting old windows file

Hi Ramon, your best option is to use Disk Cleanup (run both ways as shown below) to remove any old Windows Installations, old Updates . . . etc.

Open File Explorer

Click on your hard drive

On the Manage Tab, click Cleanup

Let Disk Cleanup do its initial scan

Select Everything in the list and choose Delete

Start Disk Cleanup again

Let Disk Cleanup do its initial scan

This time in the resulting dialog, click 'Cleanup System Files'

Let Disk Cleanup run another scan

Select Everything in the list and choose Delete

DaveM121, Aug 18, 2018
Thema:

Windows.old will NOT delete with Cleanup option!

1. Windows.old will NOT delete with Cleanup option! - Similar Threads - old delete Cleanup

2. Delete in disk cleanup windows update cleanup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Delete in disk cleanup windows update cleanup: Hello all!I''ve a question, in pratically i do all the possible for trying to delete the "Windows Update cleanup" from my disk, but anything resolve the issue and still display that there are 1GB of cache of WUC, some fix to this mess? The last thing that i could do is do the...
  3. Delete in disk cleanup windows update cleanup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Delete in disk cleanup windows update cleanup: Hello all!I''ve a question, in pratically i do all the possible for trying to delete the "Windows Update cleanup" from my disk, but anything resolve the issue and still display that there are 1GB of cache of WUC, some fix to this mess? The last thing that i could do is do the...
  4. windows update cleanup does not delete

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows update cleanup does not delete: I can not delete this. I have tried so many optionsthey are: 1] Delete contents of SoftwareDistribution folder manually2] Delete contents of Windows.old folder manually3] Run Disk Cleanup in Clean Boot State or Safe Mode4] Run the Windows Update Troubleshooter5] Run DISM to...
  5. Cannot delete the windows cleanup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot delete the windows cleanup: for some reason this previous windows update cannot be cleanup, i run remove files a few time still cannot get rid of this file,is there anyone have this problem before? what step i should take for get rid of this file?...
  6. Cannot delete the windows cleanup

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cannot delete the windows cleanup: for some reason this previous windows update cannot be cleanup, i run remove files a few time still cannot get rid of this file,is there anyone have this problem before? what step i should take for get rid of this file?...
  7. Cannot delete the windows cleanup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Can't delete Window Update Cleanup

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't delete Window Update Cleanup: My Windows Update Cleanup is 10.9GB and Disk Clean-up doesn't delete it, even though it says it does. I can't find the Windows.old folder in the file explorer and any solutions I can't find any post about this issue. Does anyone know what could be causing this and how I could...
  9. windows update cleanup does not delete

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    windows update cleanup does not delete: [ATTACH] [ATTACH] I can not delete this. I have tried so many options they are: 1] Delete contents of SoftwareDistribution folder manually 2] Delete contents of Windows.old folder manually3] Run Disk Cleanup in Clean Boot State or Safe Mode 4] Run the Windows Update...
  10. Windows.old will NOT delete with Cleanup option!

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows.old will NOT delete with Cleanup option!: Hi, I did a Reset PC and I want to remove the Windows.old folder but the popular method of using System Cleanup is not working for me. I had originally tried to just delete it before discovering that I couldn't get rid of it all, so my folder if approx 36.6 MB but it's...