Windows 10: Windows.old won't delete after todays update.

Discus and support Windows.old won't delete after todays update. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I selected remove previous versions of windows in disk cleanup and it deleted everything in window.old but one folder chain... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Karizma, Aug 2, 2016.

1. Karizma Win User

Windows.old won't delete after todays update.

I selected remove previous versions of windows in disk cleanup and it deleted everything in window.old but one folder chain C:\Windows.old\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_dispi.inf_amd64_87aa927b5db9eb5e

It tells me I need permission and this account is admin on my pc, how can i delete this?

:)

Karizma, Aug 2, 2016
  2. tdug Win User

if i delete my windows.old file then will i an able to go back to my previous window?

No, you won't.

Even if you keep it, you can't go back after a month period because Windows.old will be automatically deleted.

tdug, Aug 2, 2016
  3. WindowsOS Win User
    Cannot delete Windows OLD using disc cleanup.

Doesn't work. The Windows.old folder won't delete.

WindowsOS, Aug 2, 2016
  4. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there

Try again after a reboot.

If that fails a decent way is to load a Linux Live distro and then delete the file using the Linux file manager. These are called Dolphin, Nautilus, Midnight commander - depending on what Live distro you are using -- Linux Mint is a decently like "Windows" one if you aren't experienced in Linux.

A reboot in Windows though should release the file if it's not being used anywhere.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Aug 2, 2016
  5. swarfega Win User
    swarfega, Aug 2, 2016
  6. I renamed, moved to new location and deleted.

Be4stElectrjc, Aug 2, 2016
  7. swarfega Win User
    Nice solution *Biggrin

swarfega, Aug 2, 2016
  8. mikolajek Win User

It's the drivers issue - some devices still use drivers located in the post-installation folders.

A useful trick is to track the affected device, disable it for a while, delete the folder and re-enable it. It will use the proper driver (meaning located in the correct folder) since then.

mikolajek, Aug 2, 2016
  9. Karizma Win User
    hi guys, thanks for responding. I tried the disk cleanup method and it didn't work, then I tried renaming it and moving it into my downloads folder and now its just saying I require permission from IT/Michael (pc name/my name). I'm willing to try the linux thing suggestion but I don't really understand it, if someone could explain in more detail possibly.

Karizma, Aug 2, 2016
  10. mart44 Win User
    I have a Linux Mint installation disk. I booted up with that and deleted the folder. This worked OK and no ill-effects noticed when booting into W.10 and running it.

mart44, Aug 2, 2016
  11. Karizma Win User
    Alright so I ended up using a program called EMCO MoveonBoot to delete the folder, it worked and don't have any issues to report so far. Thanks again for the replies.

Karizma, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows.old won't delete after todays update. - Similar Threads - old won't delete

2. Windows reset won't delete old user

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows reset won't delete old user: Hi,I am doing a full reset and want a new user account.After the reset screen finishes I get a message saying that there has been a request to change the trusted platform module TPM file, do I want to delete it or not. I click yes. Then it says rolling back changes. Reboots...
  3. Windows reset won't delete old user

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows reset won't delete old user: Hi,I am doing a full reset and want a new user account.After the reset screen finishes I get a message saying that there has been a request to change the trusted platform module TPM file, do I want to delete it or not. I click yes. Then it says rolling back changes. Reboots...
  4. Windows reset won't delete old user

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Windows Updates won't install for the first time today.

Windows Updates won't install for the first time today.: More PC's / Laptop's found as from today on with those issues? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-updates-wont-install-for-the-first-time/48af5c21-db1b-4928-ac9d-8d9ea129dc07
  6. Trying to delete Windows old after update to W11

Trying to delete Windows old after update to W11: Trying to delete Windows old after update to W11 because my c: drive is low on space but my machine can't or won't delete it. Tells me it's doing it but Windows old is still there and I'm still short of disc space. how do I delete the old files to give W11 the space it needs...
  7. Trying to delete Windows old after update to W11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Trying to delete Windows old after update to W11: Trying to delete Windows old after update to W11 because my c: drive is low on space but my machine can't or won't delete it. Tells me it's doing it but Windows old is still there and I'm still short of disc space. how do I delete the old files to give W11 the space it needs...
  8. Windows crashed after today's update

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows crashed after today's update: Hey. I installed an update today and after that it started throwing 0xc0000102 errors when trying to open certain programs, I restarted it, tryed enter safe boot and now I'm stuck in loop. Even the automatic repair is stuck in loop, tryed to boot from an USB to repair, no...
  9. Everything deleted after update, and it continues to delete everything today.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Everything deleted after update, and it continues to delete everything today.: After the Windows 10 update, everything I had saved to my desktop was gone as were all my settings. Restored files, opened Outlook, Quicken, MS Office, etc., again and recreated accounts, configurations, and files. Do a soft or hard reboot and everything is deleted again....
  10. No restart after today's update

in Windows 10 Support
    No restart after today's update: Only spinning dots for 20 minutes now after restart because of update. Should I reset? Or? 71898