Windows 10: windows old

Discus and support windows old in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have upgraded twice to 9879, starting with a clean install, and looking through C, I find Windows Old. This refuses to uninstall, any tips? 2917 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by tinmar49, Nov 13, 2014.

1. tinmar49 Win User

windows old

I have upgraded twice to 9879, starting with a clean install, and looking through C, I find Windows Old. This refuses to uninstall, any tips?

:)

tinmar49, Nov 13, 2014
  2. d0gknees Win User

Old Windows old overwritten?

It's not going to help now, but a "backup" on the same drive is not a backup. If the stuff is important, you need at least one copy in another location. Assume your home will burn to the ground and plan accordingly.

d0gknees, Nov 13, 2014
  3. Coherency Win User
    Old Windows old overwritten?

The backup image that I made after upgrading from windows vista to 7 was erased apparently, I'm assuming after reinstalling windows 7 a 2nd time.

Why does Windows discriminate against Windows.old alone?

Who thought up the idea of deciding to make a folder - specifically designed to protect our files during an update - the very target of deletion after an update? If it was designed to protect our old files, and Windows desperately wants to make it their
    target during an update, could Windows at least let us know ahead of time? It was protecting these files for me only days ago; why did Window's treatment of these files take such a 180 degree turn to the point to where they became the only targeted files during
    an update?

Why advertise in a fashion which could really be taken to court as a bad faith case by blatantly lying when making the claim:

"The partition you have selected might contain files from a previous installation.
    If it does, these files and folders will be moved to a folder named Windows.old."

The partition I selected did contain files from a previous installation, these files and folders
    were not moved to a folder named Windows.old. - instead they were deleted entirely including the backup image file.

These files were very important to me, I entrusted their safety to Microsoft because I thought Microsoft was a respectable company that means what it says. I have found that that is not always the case.

This is literally lawsuit material, if what this whole ordeal took from me was more than simply heartbreaking and had actual dollar value to it, then I would sue Microsoft. Still, It had value to me... windows old :(

I'd pay some tech guru upward of 200k to restore them sooner than buy myself a lambo; but even if I had that kind of money, I understand that they're gone now... I didn't even know they were at risk of being lost, so I didn't back them up a 3rd and 4th time
    or however many different times and ways I have to back them up before they're actually backed up.

I've kept some of those files safe and transferred them from computer to computer for nearly 10 years... the most I can do now is have my old laptop fixed and recover a very small fraction of them, maybe a 1/10 at most if I'm lucky, I really only used it
    for school.

It was around 25gb worth of select data, not just a sloppy quick save-all type thing... I predict that I will be bitter toward Microsoft for several years over this.

Coherency, Nov 13, 2014
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

windows old

Brink, Nov 13, 2014
  5. tinmar49 Win User
    Success! I had forgotten disk cleanup, at first it refused to run, second attempt was fine. I removed about 3.6gb. I had tried to delete directly from a right click on the highlighted Windows Old.

tinmar49, Nov 13, 2014
  6. rmonroe36 Win User
    There are issues being reported about Disk Cleanup:
    https://www.tenforums.com/general-dis...0-bugs-42.html

rmonroe36, Nov 13, 2014
  7. tinmar49 Win User
    The Windows 10 bugs thread spans more than one build, over 400 replies. My problems are on build 9879. I think the bugs should be carefully segregated by build or they are meaningless.

tinmar49, Nov 14, 2014
  8. rmonroe36 Win User

windows old

CCleaner will also do the job:

windows old [​IMG]

Rich

rmonroe36, Nov 14, 2014
  9. linw Win User
    Agree.

linw, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

windows old

1. windows old - Similar Threads - old

2. How to mail reconfigure in outlook and not showing old mail how to resolve problems

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to mail reconfigure in outlook and not showing old mail how to resolve problems: Mail reconfigure outlook and received mail and not showing old mail how to resolve problems https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-mail-reconfigure-in-outlook-and-not-showing/b511a897-cb8f-456a-a096-110279ee22a8
  3. How to mail reconfigure in outlook and not showing old mail how to resolve problems

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to mail reconfigure in outlook and not showing old mail how to resolve problems: Mail reconfigure outlook and received mail and not showing old mail how to resolve problems https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-mail-reconfigure-in-outlook-and-not-showing/b511a897-cb8f-456a-a096-110279ee22a8
  4. How to mail reconfigure in outlook and not showing old mail how to resolve problems

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. wanted to multi boot win 10/11 with NVME ssd drive on an old PC with legacy BIOS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    wanted to multi boot win 10/11 with NVME ssd drive on an old PC with legacy BIOS: I have a Dell OptiPlex 780 that I upgraded to windows 10 pro and is working fine. Now I have an NVME ssd drive in a USB enclosure that has windows 11 pro, and I wanted to boot to it from a usb port but my BIOS will not recognize the NVME external drive. Is there a way to...
  6. wanted to multi boot win 10/11 with NVME ssd drive on an old PC with legacy BIOS

wanted to multi boot win 10/11 with NVME ssd drive on an old PC with legacy BIOS: I have a Dell OptiPlex 780 that I upgraded to windows 10 pro and is working fine. Now I have an NVME ssd drive in a USB enclosure that has windows 11 pro, and I wanted to boot to it from a usb port but my BIOS will not recognize the NVME external drive. Is there a way to...
  7. Is there any way to use the old version of Notepad in Windows 11 and fix "New > Text...

Is there any way to use the old version of Notepad in Windows 11 and fix "New > Text...: Ok, here's the situation. I use Windows 11 and I've been trying to restore the old version of Notepad because I like how it's more simple and it opens faster than the new one. Eventually I found out that you can just uninstall the new Notepad through the start menu and...
  8. Is there any way to use the old version of Notepad in Windows 11 and fix "New > Text...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is there any way to use the old version of Notepad in Windows 11 and fix "New > Text...: Ok, here's the situation. I use Windows 11 and I've been trying to restore the old version of Notepad because I like how it's more simple and it opens faster than the new one. Eventually I found out that you can just uninstall the new Notepad through the start menu and...
  9. How to use old notepad and restore "New > Text Document" button?

How to use old notepad and restore "New > Text Document" button?: Ok, here's the situation. I use Windows 11 and I've been trying to restore the old notepad because I like how it's more simple and opens faster than the new one. Eventually I found out that you can just uninstall Notepad through the start menu and Windows will open .txt files...
  10. How to use old notepad and restore "New > Text Document" button?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to use old notepad and restore "New > Text Document" button?: Ok, here's the situation. I use Windows 11 and I've been trying to restore the old notepad because I like how it's more simple and opens faster than the new one. Eventually I found out that you can just uninstall Notepad through the start menu and Windows will open .txt files...