Windows 10: Windows old

Discus and support Windows old in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I've just installed build 14367 and is seems like only yesterday that I had put on the previous one. After yesterdays one, I got rid of all the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by tinmar49, Jun 16, 2016.

1. tinmar49 Win User

Windows old

I've just installed build 14367 and is seems like only yesterday that I had put on the previous one.
    After yesterdays one, I got rid of all the Windows old and associated stuff as the ssd is only 120gb. Also, I don't rely on this version of Windows so if it turns up it's toes, no great loss, I would just put on a fresh one.
    What I would like to know, is what would have happened to earlier Windows old, do they accumulate, or are they limited to one iteration?

:)

tinmar49, Jun 16, 2016
  2. d0gknees Win User

Old Windows old overwritten?

It's not going to help now, but a "backup" on the same drive is not a backup. If the stuff is important, you need at least one copy in another location. Assume your home will burn to the ground and plan accordingly.

d0gknees, Jun 16, 2016
  3. Coherency Win User
    Old Windows old overwritten?

The backup image that I made after upgrading from windows vista to 7 was erased apparently, I'm assuming after reinstalling windows 7 a 2nd time.

Why does Windows discriminate against Windows.old alone?

Who thought up the idea of deciding to make a folder - specifically designed to protect our files during an update - the very target of deletion after an update? If it was designed to protect our old files, and Windows desperately wants to make it their
    target during an update, could Windows at least let us know ahead of time? It was protecting these files for me only days ago; why did Window's treatment of these files take such a 180 degree turn to the point to where they became the only targeted files during
    an update?

Why advertise in a fashion which could really be taken to court as a bad faith case by blatantly lying when making the claim:

"The partition you have selected might contain files from a previous installation.
    If it does, these files and folders will be moved to a folder named Windows.old."

The partition I selected did contain files from a previous installation, these files and folders
    were not moved to a folder named Windows.old. - instead they were deleted entirely including the backup image file.

These files were very important to me, I entrusted their safety to Microsoft because I thought Microsoft was a respectable company that means what it says. I have found that that is not always the case.

This is literally lawsuit material, if what this whole ordeal took from me was more than simply heartbreaking and had actual dollar value to it, then I would sue Microsoft. Still, It had value to me... Windows old :(

I'd pay some tech guru upward of 200k to restore them sooner than buy myself a lambo; but even if I had that kind of money, I understand that they're gone now... I didn't even know they were at risk of being lost, so I didn't back them up a 3rd and 4th time
    or however many different times and ways I have to back them up before they're actually backed up.

I've kept some of those files safe and transferred them from computer to computer for nearly 10 years... the most I can do now is have my old laptop fixed and recover a very small fraction of them, maybe a 1/10 at most if I'm lucky, I really only used it
    for school.

It was around 25gb worth of select data, not just a sloppy quick save-all type thing... I predict that I will be bitter toward Microsoft for several years over this.

Coherency, Jun 16, 2016
  4. galaxys Win User

Windows old

From what I've seen so far, I don't think they accumulate...

galaxys, Jun 16, 2016
  5. tinmar49 Win User
    I've just got rid of the old files and installation files from 14367 and it doesn't quite add up.

39.8gb after 14367
    -19.1gb clean up
    =20.7gb
    Actual left on disk is 25.7gb.
    So there is more left on the disk than was promised.

tinmar49, Jun 17, 2016
  6. EdTittel Win User
    If you go into cleanmgr.exe and select the "Cleanup system files" option you will see entries that include "Windows Update Cleanup," "Delivery Optimization Files," "Device Driver Packages" and "Temporary Windows Installation Files." All of these can add up and don't fall under the Old Windows Installations headings. I just upgraded to build 14367 and ran CCleaner with the cleanup option to flush Windows.old, and cleanmgr.exe still shows nearly 4GB of stuff to clean out on that system -- of which, as shown, 3.62 GB is the final item on the foregoing list.

Windows old [​IMG]

--Ed--

EdTittel, Jun 17, 2016
  7. tinmar49 Win User
    The 19.1gb is the sum of all the files that Windows promised to remove, but after the cleanup, only 14.1gb were actually removed.
    This has happened before.

tinmar49, Jun 17, 2016
  8. CmmTch Win User

Windows old

Used to be 30 days and windows old was automatically deleted, that was supposed to be long enough for a user to determine whether to keep W10 or go back to their previous OS.

I'm not sure about what happens to windows old if an upgrade/update to a new version is done before the 30 day limit is reached. Somebody probably knows whether you'd have two windows old or not. I'd think not.

CmmTch, Jun 18, 2016
  9. lx07 Win User
    You'll get a Windows.old.001, Windows.old.002 etc if you don't clear them out and they aren't automatically deleted.

I wouldn't worry about the numbers given by disk cleanup - they are not very accurate. They don't take any compression into account for example.

10. tinmar49 Win User
    With two new builds within a few days, I was too quick to remove the old files to find out if there was an 001 and 002.

tinmar49, Jun 18, 2016
  11. Winuser Win User
    I just looked and all I have is a Windows.old folder.

Winuser, Jun 18, 2016
  12. EdTittel Win User
    I just let the Windows.old from 14352 persist after installing 14366 and then 14367 and I still had only one Windows.old after the second upgrade. This appears to show that only one Windows.old is allowed to persist over time.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Windows old

1. Windows old - Similar Threads - old

2. Can I erase all files from my windows partition, then paste all files from old windows...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I erase all files from my windows partition, then paste all files from old windows...: Recently I found myself regreting that I did reset my windows 11 since I had lots of usefull software on it and I configured it to the last detail. I have an older ssd that has the backup windows install I was copying my old ssd partitions to the new one. But there is a...
  3. Can I erase all files from my windows partition, then paste all files from old windows...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can I erase all files from my windows partition, then paste all files from old windows...: Recently I found myself regreting that I did reset my windows 11 since I had lots of usefull software on it and I configured it to the last detail. I have an older ssd that has the backup windows install I was copying my old ssd partitions to the new one. But there is a...
  4. can't get into windows 11 with my old pc

in Windows 10 Gaming
    can't get into windows 11 with my old pc: so my surface pro 8 broke down and i needed some data from the device and i took the nvme ssd out. I then decided to put it in my old desktop pc to recover the data and that succeeded after putting the bit locker key in. Anyways I can't log in... I remember my password but I...
  5. can't get into windows 11 with my old pc

can't get into windows 11 with my old pc: so my surface pro 8 broke down and i needed some data from the device and i took the nvme ssd out. I then decided to put it in my old desktop pc to recover the data and that succeeded after putting the bit locker key in. Anyways I can't log in... I remember my password but I...
  6. I can't factory rest my brothers old work PC!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't factory rest my brothers old work PC!: My brother used to work in sales for a cell phone company. He had a very nice computer that he handed down to me because he's recently changed jobs. I've factory reset a PC once before, but whatever I try with this laptop, it just simply won't work which basically was just...
  7. I can't factory rest my brothers old work PC!

I can't factory rest my brothers old work PC!: My brother used to work in sales for a cell phone company. He had a very nice computer that he handed down to me because he's recently changed jobs. I've factory reset a PC once before, but whatever I try with this laptop, it just simply won't work which basically was just...
  8. I can't factory rest my brothers old work PC!

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  9. Deleting accounts on old laptop.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Deleting accounts on old laptop.: I have two accounts on my original laptop. I have transfered one of these accounts onto my new laptop. I now want to delete the transfered account from my original laptop. My problem is; if I delete the account from my original laptop will it delete all the files that i...
  10. Deleting accounts on old laptop.

Deleting accounts on old laptop.: I have two accounts on my original laptop. I have transfered one of these accounts onto my new laptop. I now want to delete the transfered account from my original laptop. My problem is; if I delete the account from my original laptop will it delete all the files that i...