Windows 10: Windows only sees 8GB but CPUZ sees 12GB

Discus and support Windows only sees 8GB but CPUZ sees 12GB in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi all, I've recently upgraded to w10 but weirdly now windows only sees 8GB. When I had w8 it saw all 12GB of ram but now only 8GB. I've checked... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by blekk, Jun 26, 2015.

1. blekk Win User

Windows only sees 8GB but CPUZ sees 12GB

Hi all,

I've recently upgraded to w10 but weirdly now windows only sees 8GB. When I had w8 it saw all 12GB of ram but now only 8GB.

I've checked CPUZ and it can see the 12GB fine but windows still only sees 8GB (and not '8GB usable', it actually only sees 8GB).

Windows only sees 8GB but CPUZ sees 12GB [​IMG]

Windows only sees 8GB but CPUZ sees 12GB [​IMG]

I've already looked to see if I should update motherboard BIOS but it's an Asus Rampage Extreme III and the last BIOS was released in 2011 (I have that one installed).

Does anyone have any idea what I should do?

Thanks for your time!

:)

blekk, Jun 26, 2015
  2. [SeeS] Win User

Windows 10 is breaking my Hard Drives

So I've been using my pc for a long time now but since I've updated to windows 10 my old WD hdd 1 tb drive just broke. I thought was a case of old HDD so i replaced it with a seagate one. Two months later the same thing happends to the drive, well I thougt
    was a malfunctioning drive so I replace it in the shop (was on warranty) but two months later the drive is broken again.

I've read it in the web that it could be because of the way windows 10 manages the startups of the drives. And that with UEFI bios (mine is uefi with an i7 3rd gen cpu) doesn't work well with it.

My question here is, is this posible? that windows 10 is stressing my drives till the point it breaks?

Is it a problem of my motherboard?

Do I downrade to windows 7 or change some hardware?

If you could help me that would be great

[SeeS], Jun 26, 2015
  3. Airport express only sees Apple devices

1) the first thing that i tried was the troubleshooter. It didn't work. I tried this long ago.

2) Where do i find the setup file for the driver?

GrntHlcmbSmth, Jun 26, 2015
  4. Windows only sees 8GB but CPUZ sees 12GB

Speccy uses GPUz so that would probably tell you the same thing.

See what System Information tells you about the memory (Run msinfo32.exe).

It could be a bug in the way System reports the memory or it could be a memory configuration issue.
    http://www.intel.com/support/motherb...965.htm#triple
    Make sure the memory is matched and seated per the above Intel page.

Board reference: ROG | RAMPAGE III EXTREME | ASUS Global

Slartybart, Jun 26, 2015
  5. Mystere Win User
    In Search, type "msconfig" and hit enter. In the dialog that opens, choose the Boot tab, then click Advanced Options, and see if the Maximum Memory checkbox is ticked. If so, untick it then click Make all boot settings permanent and click ok and reboot.

If that's not the problem, then not sure what it would be.

Mystere, Jun 26, 2015
  6. blekk Win User
    Thanks for the reply Mystere.

I had a look at those settings and it was unticked, I ticked it just to have a look at how high I could set it but it's capped at 8192MB so it still seems like Windows can only see 8GB.

Does anyone know how CPUZ gets its information? I assumed it would be through some Windows API and so how can it see 12GB but Windows only sees 8GB?

Thanks.

blekk, Jun 27, 2015
  7. Winuser Win User
    I would submit this in the Windows Feedback. It may be a problem with Windows 10.

Winuser, Jun 27, 2015
  8. Mystere Win User

Have you checked your bios? Some BIOS's have a setting which reserves memory for the video card. Not sure if 4GB can explain that, but there might be something else there.

Mystere, Jun 27, 2015
  9. batlhilz Win User
    • If you have a integrated/onboard graphics chip on your motherboard and are using a graphics card instead, then double check your BIOS settings to make sure that you do not have any memory allocated to the integrated/onboard graphics chip (ex:hardware reserved) so that it will be used by Windows instead.
    • If you are using a integrated/onboard graphics chip on your motherboard to display your monitor from, then part of your memory (RAM) will be allocated to it as set in the BIOS.
    • Double check to see if you have a memory mapping option in your BIOS settings. If you do, enable it.

batlhilz, Jun 28, 2015
  10. Dump the boot code (elevated command prompt - bcdedit) to see if any memory settings are defined (PAE, NX, 4GT)

This might have shown up in the msconfig or perhaps not.

I'd still like to see what msinfo32 reports

Slartybart, Jun 28, 2015
  11. LMiller7 Win User
    I think it highly likely that Windows and CPUZ are using different methods.

CPUZ is obtaining it's information from the hardware. The purpose is to obtain memory size and specifications. But note that CPUZ has no way of knowing that all memory modules are fully compatible or usable.

Windows has no interest in memory technical specifications, only in how much memory is available for use. This is likely obtained from the BIOS during bootup by means of a simple memory test. This is destructive to memory contents so cannot be done while Windows is running. This is not a fully reliable memory test, just a quick test to see what is present.

As different methods are used the results can differ if there are memory issues, not necessarily bad memory.

LMiller7, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows only sees 8GB but CPUZ sees 12GB - Similar Threads - sees 8GB CPUZ

2. DVD NOT WORK , NO SEE ICON IN MY COMP, NO SEE IN DEVICE MANAGER , ONLY SEE IN BIOS ,,, ,...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DVD NOT WORK , NO SEE ICON IN MY COMP, NO SEE IN DEVICE MANAGER , ONLY SEE IN BIOS ,,, ,...: DVD NOT WORK , NO SEE ICON IN MY COMP, NO SEE IN DEVICE MANAGER , ONLY SEE IN BIOS ,,, MSI XX470 gaming plus , Ryzen5 3600, corsair vengeace lpx2x8gb 3200mhz , Corsair rm850w gold, samsung 970 evo plus 1tb m2 sata, dvd TEAC DV-W524GSD, video- sapfire radeon rx5700xt , OS...
  3. DVD NOT WORK , NO SEE ICON IN MY COMP, NO SEE IN DEVICE MANAGER , ONLY SEE IN BIOS ,,, ,...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    DVD NOT WORK , NO SEE ICON IN MY COMP, NO SEE IN DEVICE MANAGER , ONLY SEE IN BIOS ,,, ,...: DVD NOT WORK , NO SEE ICON IN MY COMP, NO SEE IN DEVICE MANAGER , ONLY SEE IN BIOS ,,, MSI XX470 gaming plus , Ryzen5 3600, corsair vengeace lpx2x8gb 3200mhz , Corsair rm850w gold, samsung 970 evo plus 1tb m2 sata, dvd TEAC DV-W524GSD, video- sapfire radeon rx5700xt , OS...
  4. DVD NOT WORK , NO SEE ICON IN MY COMP, NO SEE IN DEVICE MANAGER , ONLY SEE IN BIOS ,,, ,...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Compare performance between 12gb ram 8gb + 4gb and 8gb ram 4gb x 2

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Compare performance between 12gb ram 8gb + 4gb and 8gb ram 4gb x 2: Hi everyone who read this post, I have a question about compare performance about ram. Please say which is better choice 12gb ram 4+8 gb or 8gb ram 4x2 gb about gaming, work like office, coder, virtual machine, etc. Thank you so much. All the ram is same as about speed bus,...
  6. My computer only see 4GB of my 8GB RAM stick

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My computer only see 4GB of my 8GB RAM stick: Hey!I have a Lenovo Yoga 500, and it is running Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, 21H2. I have checked the specs, and it should be able to run 8GBs RAM. I have one 8 GB stick not 2 x 4GB and I have double checked that the RAM works on another machine, and that it is mounted...
  7. My computer only see 4GB of my 8GB RAM stick

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My computer only see 4GB of my 8GB RAM stick: Hey!I have a Lenovo Yoga 500, and it is running Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, 21H2. I have checked the specs, and it should be able to run 8GBs RAM. I have one 8 GB stick not 2 x 4GB and I have double checked that the RAM works on another machine, and that it is mounted...
  8. My computer only see 4GB of my 8GB RAM stick

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  9. Camera sees only black and white

in Windows 10 Customization
    Camera sees only black and white: Hello there!Recently when it's night outside and the lights are opened my camera is just seeing black and white.The only method i know to make it see normaly it's to put the color yellow or orange in the background.Any ideas?...
  10. Installed 8gb RAM, windows detects 12GB?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Installed 8gb RAM, windows detects 12GB?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/MarkWeberca [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hkqh4e/installed_8gb_ram_windows_detects_12gb/