Windows 10: Windows only starts in safe mode

Discus and support Windows only starts in safe mode in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Thank you very much. I will look into all these options although it updated a few days ago and there were no prompts about it this time. Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Sntnl, Apr 5, 2018.

1. Sntnl Win User

Windows only starts in safe mode

Thank you very much. I will look into all these options although it updated a few days ago and there were no prompts about it this time.

Sntnl, Apr 5, 2018
  2. Sntnl Win User

Yesterday my pc restarted without prompt or warning and since then it won't load past the blue window and spinning circle. It eventually blue screens stating a page file unknown location error.
    It will start in safe mode so I've been able to check the drivers are up to date, increase the page file size, run a scannow and chkdsk /f /r (7hrs) and finally tried a system restore. The restore failed since as soon as it restarts it gets to the blue window and gets the same error.
    I saw one article state it could be the RAM but if it's visible and intact in safe mode could that still be an issue?

I'm at a loss what else to try, I can't even think what caused it at this stage. My last option is to get a new hdd and get a fresh windows install, although I can't afford that just yet. So if anyone has any ideas in the meantime I'd greatly appreciate it.

:)

Sntnl, Apr 14, 2018
  3. Computer only starts in safe mode

Hi,

To boot in Windows normally, please make sure that your computer is configured to
    Normal Startup in msconfig.

You can check it by following the steps below:

• Click Start, and then click Search.
    • Type msconfig, and then hit Enter.
    • Under the General tab, select Normal startup.
    • Under Boot tab, make sure safe boot is unchecked.
    • Click Apply, and then click OK.
    • Restart your computer.

Let us know how it goes.

Loraine Mon, Apr 14, 2018
  4. Windows only starts in safe mode

Computer only starts in safe mode

Hi, my other laptop started to mess up on me. for some reason when I start my computer, it will not load to the login screen, let alone let me log in. it sits on a purple screen with the loading icon (swirling dots). Unless I boot it into safe mode. I
    am on an HP 15 p0nr I belive, with an amd a8 processor. running windows ten. I cannot use system recovery and I have tried installing a fresh version of windows ten so that it might fix the issue. im trying to avoid losing all my files. I can back them up
    I think, from the system recovery menu using F11, but I do not have a drive big enough. is there any idea on what could be causing it to not start up? hard drive issue? or maybe some of the startup items? I could really use some insight into this matter!!
    thanks!!

De'RonBreece, Apr 14, 2018
  5. Hi Sntnl. Welcome to The TenForums @Sntnl

First I would run the internal memory diagnostics.

https://www.howtogeek.com/260813/how...-for-problems/

I assume this restart was Windows update. Did you see the standard screens about update and not to power down?

If so you could try uninstalling the updates that were recently introduce. I would do it disconnected from the Internet so it just doesn't re-install.

Failing this I would follow the instructions in the BSOD section of forum. These people can decode the info and give you an informed opinion.

BSOD Crashes and Debugging - Windows 10 Forums

If you need to add something and someone hasn't picked up thread edit your original post. Follow the instructions. They need the info.

You might also want to see yourself if there is a pattern, at least a BSOD code using Nirsoft's tool.

Blue screen of death (STOP error) information in dump files.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Apr 14, 2018
Thema:

Windows only starts in safe mode

1. Windows only starts in safe mode - Similar Threads - starts safe mode

2. Cursor only in safe mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cursor only in safe mode: Hello, I've been having problems with my GPU driver. Whenever I download a new GPU driver my PC crashes and doesn't work correctly. The only thing that helps me with this is uninstalling the new driver and installing a stable older one. For that, I need to load safe mode. At...
  3. Cursor only in safe mode

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cursor only in safe mode: Hello, I've been having problems with my GPU driver. Whenever I download a new GPU driver my PC crashes and doesn't work correctly. The only thing that helps me with this is uninstalling the new driver and installing a stable older one. For that, I need to load safe mode. At...
  4. Computer Only Starts in Safe Mode

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer Only Starts in Safe Mode: Hello,Two days ago, when I wanted to start my laptop it didn't start. I tried to see if the num lock and caps lock keys worked and they didn't. So then I shut it down because nothing happened, there was only a black screen. The cursor didn't show up either.Anyways, my...
  5. Computer Only Starts in Safe Mode

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer Only Starts in Safe Mode: Hello,Two days ago, when I wanted to start my laptop it didn't start. I tried to see if the num lock and caps lock keys worked and they didn't. So then I shut it down because nothing happened, there was only a black screen. The cursor didn't show up either.Anyways, my...
  6. Computer Only Starts in Safe Mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. Windows 10 Only Starts in Safe Mode

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 Only Starts in Safe Mode: After an update, Windows 10 does not run. It begins to start up Windows logo appears, but after about 10 seconds the screen goes completely black. Windows Recovery Environment does run and Windows Safe Mode also runs. I would appreciate any help to fix this issue....
  8. Starting in Safe Mode

in Windows 10 Customization
    Starting in Safe Mode: When I attempt to restart my computer via >Settings>Update & Security>Advance Options>Recovery-Restart now when I get to the sign-in screen it does not accept the pin I use when I sign in normally. I even tried my Microsoft password and that did not work. How do I sign in...
  9. Start Menu only works in safe mode!

in Cortana
    Start Menu only works in safe mode!: Hello, So like 2 weeks ago I downloaded a program called Classic Shell which I thought it was safe, but it ruined my start menu and my PC i managed to fix my PC but not the start menu. When I launch into safe mode the start menu seems to work and most Microsoft settings but...
  10. Windows 10 Update - will only start in safe mode

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Update - will only start in safe mode: Ever since the Windows 10 Update (1809) a couple of days ago, my computer will only start in safe mode. Other than that, it freezes immediately after starting. I am at a total loss. Can anyone help?...