Windows 10: Windows own recovery tools doesn't work, need a better solution

Discus and support Windows own recovery tools doesn't work, need a better solution in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Yesterday after playing a few games on steam, i rebooted my pc and windows got stuck in a loop trying to load my desktop without any error messages. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Cerawy, Jan 17, 2018.

1. Cerawy Win User

Windows own recovery tools doesn't work, need a better solution

Yesterday after playing a few games on steam, i rebooted my pc and windows got stuck in a loop trying to load my desktop without any error messages. I tried system restore which didn't work. I previously spent a whole weekend trying to fix system restore, and microsoft didnt have a working solution on microsoft answers. It didn't help, and windows kept creating system restore points that didnt work, without offering a solution.

I tried reseting windows, but got an error message saying that it didnt work, which isn't very helpful. I tried booting in safe mode which didn't work as well. So i had to wipe my ssd and install windows again, which has now created another issue with my genuine product key not being genuine, the same key that i have been using for over a year without any problems.

That's when i realized that none of microsofts own tools are able to get windows working if theres a problem, so if windows refuses to work for whatever reason, you are pretty much screwed.

TL;DR: I am sick and tired of windows causing problems. I only use my computer for gaming on steam, browse the internet with firefox and that's about it. Yet windows is giving me issues. What I need is a non-microsoft program that can restore my PC to where it was when it worked. I would prefer something that is easy to use for beginners.

:)

Cerawy, Jan 17, 2018

2. Can't turn on my Lumia 520

Before Going for Nokia Recovery Tool better try Soft Reset(no data will be deleted) , if this also doesn't work out then go for hard reset( all data will be erased)

PS: Performing any of the above better to take back up of your data and perform at your own risk.discretion.

rocky459---01, Jan 17, 2018
  3. agcrm Win User
    Updated to Windows Phone 10 build, couldn't unlock phone...tried a reset...now I just get gears and sad face

"Find my phone" doesn't show up. So, the solution published and explained in the forum is useless.

How about you add a feature so the user can unlock the phone using your Windows Device Recovery Tool.

It would work as the follow:

The user open the Recovery Tool.

The Phone detects that is connected to a Windows device.

The Recovery Tool recognize the phone.

If the user wish to unlock the phone he/she have to login.

Login will bring the information of all the devices that person owns.

Is the phone in that list? Fantastic! We can start the process of unlocking the phone.

agcrm, Jan 17, 2018
  4. Word Man Win User

The one widely discussed and recommended here at TenForums is explained here: Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect

You can use it as simply or with as many bells and whistles as you want. It's well supported here and at the Macrium forum and is highly reliable.

Word Man, Jan 17, 2018
  5. agent99 Win User
    I am not a beginner, but had the same type of experience. It turned out to be caused by an update forced on us by MS that broke computers running AMD processors. I had to do a clean install to overcome the problem after wasting weeks. It was only later that MS understood problem and stopped sending that update to AMD users.

Macrium or any other backup program might have got you back to some point that worked, but at least in our case, it would have just got broken again until MS stopped sending the Update. But to use those backup programs you have to make some decisions on how you will use them. The free versions don't have all the features you might need and I find that I use them so infrequently that when a problem arises, I have to re-learn how program works *Sad

agent99, Jan 17, 2018
  6. Cerawy Win User
    I have tried macrium already, it was so complicated that i had to give up trying to get it to work, despite members being helpful in assisting me with the program.

Cerawy, Jan 17, 2018
  7. RolandJS Win User
    Relearning those programs is bad enough, however, how bad will it be if all the data is gone and/or the OS along with all 3rd party stuff has to be reinstalled from scratch?

RolandJS, Jan 17, 2018
  8. Cerawy Win User

Which is exactly why i want to take back up, but i dont have the knowledge to use a program like macrium.

Cerawy, Jan 17, 2018
  9. agent99 Win User
    It's easy enough to use a cloud storage like Dropbox, GDrive or Onedrive or others to store all data. Then it is never all "gone". Copying the operating system just gets you back to an OS that may have errors and may have been cause of failure. Often better to do clean install. 3rd party stuff? Depends on how much is used, but doesn't take that much effort to re-install. If system is tested after each 3rd party program is installed, it might narrow down cause of failure. Email should be set up as iMap and it will also magically all be back on the new install *Smile

I have just been through this twice and just wish I had gone to clean install immediately on both computers.

agent99, Jan 17, 2018
  10. Mooly Win User
    How about AOMEI ?

I've become a big fan and find it simple and effective to use. Little more than one click to back up your system. Macrium is fine but I agree its over complicated for an average user when all you want is a simple interface.

Mooly, Jan 17, 2018
  11. SIW2 Win User
    I suggest Aomei Backupper. It is very simple to use. The free ( standard version) will be fine.

Under the backup Tab, click System backup, then at Step 2 , browse to the location you want to save the backup image. Then click "Start Backup"

Windows own recovery tools doesn't work, need a better solution [​IMG]

Download it from here:

Best Windows Backup and Restore Software | AOMEI Backupper

12. Cerawy Win User
    I have downloaded it and set it to run.. will come back with the results.. hope this works

Cerawy, Jan 17, 2018
  13. Cerawy Win User

OK so it completed the backup, and it has created a 56GB backup file.. what now?

Cerawy, Jan 17, 2018
  14. cereberus Win User
    Look at tutorial section. It is easy to use.

cereberus, Jan 17, 2018
  15. Word Man Win User
    @Cerawy , I gave you the link to the tutorial in my prior post. We can discuss here if you have a look and report any questions you may have.

However, if you're happy with AOMEI Backupper, good on you.

Word Man, Jan 18, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows own recovery tools doesn't work, need a better solution - Similar Threads - own recovery tools

2. Snipping tool doesn't works

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Snipping tool doesn't works: Hi, I have new laptop and I can't save image cropped in snipping tool app. When I'm clicking on save button app crashes. It is some cloud or directory issue? how can I resolve this problem? Thanks...
  3. My nextbook need recovery tool

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My nextbook need recovery tool: Need recovery tool https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-nextbook-need-recovery-tool/e2935752-f252-4746-98f0-28108167143a
  4. My nextbook need recovery tool

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My nextbook need recovery tool: Need recovery tool https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-nextbook-need-recovery-tool/e2935752-f252-4746-98f0-28108167143a
  5. My nextbook need recovery tool

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  6. Windows 8 recovery tools not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 8 recovery tools not working: Opened an old computer and want to re-install everything. I managed to create a recovery usb stick and went to recover the default settings. BUT it still says Some files are missing, and I need to plug in the usb. Do I try another usb or what to recover the computer?...
  7. Windows 8 recovery tools not working

Windows 8 recovery tools not working: Opened an old computer and want to re-install everything. I managed to create a recovery usb stick and went to recover the default settings. BUT it still says Some files are missing, and I need to plug in the usb. Do I try another usb or what to recover the computer?...
  8. Windows recovery tool did not work

Windows recovery tool did not work: I downloaded the recovery tool and tried a system image recovery but it could not find the recovery partition. what next? Is choosing install windows 10 my only option? i am assuming that all of my personal files and settings would be lost if i performed a windows 10...
  9. Media Creation Tool needs to handle downloads better

Media Creation Tool needs to handle downloads better: Not a question, because there is no solution beyond Microsoft itself fixing a vitally-important yet horribly broken piece of software. Since I tried fixing my corrupted copy of Windows, only to find my official Windows 10 USB had also been corrupted, I now have to download...
  10. Better search tool for windows

Better search tool for windows: Hi, I work on windows and have to search in text files, and wonder if there is little better tool support ... I would like to have it: - search in many text files (best filtered by file extension / name / pattern) - search for texts / patterns - there should be some support...