Windows 10: Windows Password Forgotten but Netplwiz was activated--PW not required

Discus and support Windows Password Forgotten but Netplwiz was activated--PW not required in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I want to find out what my forgotten Windows logon password is. I am not locked out of Windows because I had run Netplwiz and unchecked the box... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by Jambe, Jul 20, 2016.

1. Jambe Win User

Windows Password Forgotten but Netplwiz was activated--PW not required

I want to find out what my forgotten Windows logon password is.

I am not locked out of Windows because I had run Netplwiz and unchecked the box requiring password to log on.

Can it be found in the registry?

(I hesitate to use Change windows logon tutorial in case it asks for old password and I get locked out. Is one of those 6 appropriate to use when I don't know old password? I am the only user/administrator.)

:)

Jambe, Jul 20, 2016
  2. DrInfoman Win User

Windows 10 Home - 2 Users - 1 ALWAYS Prompted for Windows Login Password...

...despite the fact that all of the usual suspects have been checked...

NETPLWIZ unchecked - CHECK.

Power / sleep option for user pw set to NEVER - CHECK.

Screensaver set to not require pw - CHECK.

Yet, for one of the two users, one user is always prompted for a login password. I can't seem to find anything other than people talking about the above items. Been there, done that - pw prompt STILL occurring.

And no, I'm not going to do a sfc /scannow or reinstall Windows 10.

Hopefully, someone out there has the magic solution to this.

Thanks!

Andy

DrInfoman, Jul 20, 2016
  3. sofspra Win User
    UEFI password work around

Not real sure of your exact password issue.

As already suggested, there is a way to avoid the PIN and Password on a new load. I have done this to my little fleet of W10 Pros.

In the search box, I search for netplwiz and netplwiz.exe is found and loads. I then select the option to avoid both PW and PIN. However, to do this you need to the current of value of these items.

Just curious here. Does the Lenovo use passwords beyond the PW that is required to log in on a new start/load?

Hope this helps.

sofspra, Jul 20, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Jul 20, 2016
  5. LMiller7 Win User
    Like any secure operating system, Windows does not store login passwords. Only data needed to verify passwords is stored, and that in a location not normally accessible to even an elevated admin account. Methods of verifying a password without comparing it to a stored copy have been known for a long time. An administrator can change any password without knowing the original password but cannot view them. Storing login passwords would be a serious security risk.

LMiller7, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows Password Forgotten but Netplwiz was activated--PW not required - Similar Threads - Password Forgotten Netplwiz

2. Lost Windows Hello PW and Pin. Forgotten PW W-Hello asks for Pin. Forgotten PIN W-Hello...

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Lost Windows Hello PW and Pin. Forgotten PW W-Hello asks for Pin. Forgotten PIN W-Hello...: I can login to my laptop. I cannot login to activate MS365 as Windows Hello asks for the PW or Pin, https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/lost-windows-hello-pw-and-pin-forgotten-pw-w-hello/5242002d-1b1e-437d-b656-6617e6b92a3a
  3. Lost Windows Hello PW and Pin. Forgotten PW W-Hello asks for Pin. Forgotten PIN W-Hello...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Lost Windows Hello PW and Pin. Forgotten PW W-Hello asks for Pin. Forgotten PIN W-Hello...: I can login to my laptop. I cannot login to activate MS365 as Windows Hello asks for the PW or Pin, https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/lost-windows-hello-pw-and-pin-forgotten-pw-w-hello/5242002d-1b1e-437d-b656-6617e6b92a3a
  4. Lost Windows Hello PW and Pin. Forgotten PW W-Hello asks for Pin. Forgotten PIN W-Hello...

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Forgotten windows password

Forgotten windows password: I forgot my windows password. I only sign in using Windows Hello PIN, but cannot sign in using password option because I forgot the password. How do I reset my password?...
  6. Windows forgotten password

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows forgotten password: Hi I need help I forgot my Microsoft password this is a new acc I made pls help I can't login into my PC https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-forgotten-password/5df5c2a6-269c-4a3f-9650-1d8bdc7cfaef
  7. Forgotten windows password

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Forgotten windows password: Hello, I have forgotten my password that I need to sign-in to my computer. I automatically sign-in when I start my computer so I have no problem accessing my computer but anything that requires my windows password I can't do. And when I try to reset the password it says I...
  8. How to change forgotten password if netplwiz enables access

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    How to change forgotten password if netplwiz enables access: I have used netplwiz so I don't have to give a password to use the computer. I would like to be able to change the forgotten password in case some future update requires it. I just installed 1903 and it asked for a password. Fortunately, when I rebooted it didn't ask again...
  9. Password for windows if forgotten

Password for windows if forgotten: How do you get into your computer if you forget the password to windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/password-for-windows-if-forgotten/e28ee3e9-9674-470c-8f5a-791999a02837
  10. Forgotten Password Wizard - Current PW incorrecct

in Windows 10 Customization
    Forgotten Password Wizard - Current PW incorrecct: I'm trying to create a forgotten password disk for an assignment in class. However, the Forgotten Password Wizard will not accept my current user account password. I've even reset my password to ensure it is correct. The password works for everything else, just not this...