Windows 10: Windows password update confusion

Discus and support Windows password update confusion in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I am running Windows 10 on an HP laptop. I admit I am old and slow, but I have been deeply involved with PC's since 1983 so I am not a neophyte.... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by UglyTrk57, Jun 27, 2017.

1. UglyTrk57 Win User

Windows password update confusion

I am running Windows 10 on an HP laptop. I admit I am old and slow, but I have been deeply involved with PC's since 1983 so I am not a neophyte. However, the insistent requirement to change Windows passwords has me confused. It seems as though there are multiple Windows passwords, and I can't determine which I am to change. I have a password for Windows Live, one for my laptop, one for One Drive, and probably more that I can't remember. However the notice I keep getting is to "Change the Windows password".

I guess my question is if a tutorial, written or recorded, that explains a couple of things: first, how do I tell the difference between the passwords, and second, when should I expect to change each of these passwords?

Windows 10 is indeed a different experience, not in operation but in environmental control. I think I will like it when I get an understanding of this new environment. Any recommendations on publications would be appreciated.

:)

UglyTrk57, Jun 27, 2017

2. Nokia Lumnia sync error ti Windows Live

Which password til e-mail account password or the windows Live account password?
    Since neither work on the phone but both on the computer - I get confused?

Marianne AndreasenThygesen, Jun 27, 2017
  3. moiraK Win User
    microsoft v Windows passwords

Just bought new Inspiron 13. Utterly confused between Microsoft password ( have changed several times) and Windows password. Only used one password on previous laptop. Can I use the old password for new laptop and is that the Windows password

moiraK, Jun 27, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

Welcome to the forums. What exactly is asking for you to change the password it's not normal for it to ask to change the password. If you login with a Microsoft account to Windows it normally covers one drive Windows login email etc

Samuria, Jun 27, 2017
  5. Bastet Win User
    I wonder if you have set your MS account to change password every 72 days.
    Check your account to see if this is so.
    If you're using a Microsoft account, the steps we mentioned earlier won't work. However, you can enable an option on your account to make you change your password every 72 days.

Open your browser and sign in to your Microsoft account. On Security & privacy, click on the Change password link. Create a new password.
    Check the Make me change my password every 72 days option.

To undo it just remove the tick from the make me change my password.

Bastet, Jun 27, 2017
  6. UglyTrk57 Win User
    Samuria - I want to believe it is the WIndows 10 on my laptop notifying me to change the password, but I am not certain.

Bastet - I am assuming you are talking about my "master" Microsoft account that links the associated products such as Live, One Drive, etc. I want to believe that is okay, although I did change all of these earlier during a true moment of confusion. I have never been notified by this account manager to change anything. I guess I should have thought of that earlier, but I was pretty hot under the collar earlier.

I really wish the Microsoft message said what software product required a password change, Would make my life much simpler.

Thanks to both of you for the responses.

UglyTrk57, Jun 27, 2017
  7. Bastet Win User
    If you change your Microsoft account password/master password it'll change the password for all MS apps like OneNote, Outlook email, OneDrive etc so my question is are you changing the password for each MS app as you want individual passwords as I don't think that's possible.

Bastet, Jun 27, 2017
  8. UglyTrk57 Win User

Thanks for the reply, Bastet

To be honest, I don't know the exact order in which things happened, but I did change my Windows Live password, then One Drive didn't work so I had to change that one as well, using the same password as MS Live. It is working OK now. I have been thinking on this since the last post, and have to believe the password change prompt was from the laptop, not from Microsoft corporate since that has never happened before.

Also, after looking at a few other posts, I hate to admit it, but the password cannot be eliminated as long as I am listed as the Administrator. I am considering establishing a new account to be used exclusively as the Administration account. After that, the Administration function can be removed from my local account - maybe. We'll see soon, as soon as I read up on it a bit more. This is strange territory for me.

UglyTrk57, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows password update confusion - Similar Threads - password update confusion

2. Confusing approach to windows updates?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Confusing approach to windows updates?: This is both a complaint about, and request for how to fix/recognise, an issue involving confusing update messaging by Microsoft. I'm using windows 10-2004 on a desktop. Migrated from windows 7 4 months ago. Recently there were media advisories about an out-of-band...
  3. Confused about Updates

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Confused about Updates: Hi, I've spent a few hours this morning trying to update Windows then furiously back-peddle after reading horror stories online - throw in a Repairing Disc Errors screen... you get the idea. But I'm confused about what I should do now. Under Windows Update I have: Feature...
  4. Ridiculous update confusion

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Ridiculous update confusion: Why is updating a total clusterfuk? Why doesn't it just update? I have no clue why it has downloaded but doesn't install. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ridiculous-update-confusion/3624abb9-64b5-4815-8406-25b787deb954
  5. Windows Update confusion

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Update confusion: In Windows Update, a scan reports that "It looks like all available updates are installed and your PC is up to date" including 2019-07 Cumulative Update KB4505903. Yet Windows Update also indicates that KB4505903 is available and has links to "download and install now". How...
  6. PASSWORD CONFUSION

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    PASSWORD CONFUSION: Why do I have problems with passwords every few months? I know I put in correct one because if I try to use it again Microsoft want let me. Please tell me what my Screen Password have to do with Microsoft Account Password?...
  7. PASSWORD CONFUSION

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    PASSWORD CONFUSION: Why do I have problems with passwords every few months? I know I put in correct one because if I try to use it again Microsoft want let me. Please tell me what my Screen Password have to do with Microsoft Account Password?...
  8. Windows 10 update confusion

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 update confusion: I'm not tech savvy at all, so I don't know why the Windows updates won't work on my computer. Each time I try to install the updates, a message comes up on the screen saying that doing the update may cause some of my audio and video files to not work correctly. Is it...
  9. Update confusion

Update confusion: I have update KB4034674 (Build 15063.540) successfully install on 8/8/2017. Then on 8/13/2017 KB4032188 (Build 15063.502) failed to install 6 times. Since KB4032188 is an earlier build I assume that's why it failed. However, why would it even try to install at all since it's...
  10. Updates confusion

Updates confusion: In my taskbar, I have a Windows Defender Security Centre shield, constantly showing a red cross over it. I click on it and it takes me to Settings, Windows Update, which shows .. Updates are available • 2018-03 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1709 for x64-based...