Windows 10: Windows permissions for Windows.old directory

Discus and support Windows permissions for Windows.old directory in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; EDIT: So Disk Cleanup is a far better alternative if you are stuck with Windows.old for whatever reason. There are going to be a few straggling files,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by DeathShot, Oct 26, 2016.

1. DeathShot Win User

Windows permissions for Windows.old directory

EDIT: So Disk Cleanup is a far better alternative if you are stuck with Windows.old for whatever reason. There are going to be a few straggling files, but only in the MB instead of the GB, and it wont kill your OS. Still make sure you make a manual restore point before, and then make another one for good measure.

Edit: Don't use third party software to remove Windows.old because apparently it kills your computer, just make sure there is never a Windows.old in the first place by destroying all the old partitions before reinstalling Windows and never doing an upgrade or clean repair install- or go out and buy a new SSD/HDD when your 20GB Windows.old is consuming all your remaining free space. Thanks Microsoft.

I'm running out of room on my System SSD so I figured now would be a good a time as any to deleted Windows.old

Of course my account doesn't have permissions so I went and took ownership, added permissions, all the good stuff. Now about 80% of all the files and directories in the Windows.old directory were removed, the rest give me this error:

https://puu.sh/rXx9B/fd1450b3d6.png

Now just so we are clear, I am ESHKOL\Michael and there is no other account by that name. I also went ahead and tried removing all other superfluous permissions from the file.

This is what they look like now: https://puu.sh/rXyFM/701daf7fd7.png and https://puu.sh/rXyI9/20f6d76d02.png

I have tried restarting afterwards, as well as opening CMD as administrator and running Del /S/F/Q C:\Windows.old and all I got was access denied. I also tried deleting them via bash for Windows, even though I knew it wouldn't work. I would rather not have to boot into a linux install to delete these folders, if possible. Any ideas?

:)

DeathShot, Oct 26, 2016

2. remove windows.old

I have talked to the people in the Philippines, To the people in South America, I have even prayed to GOD and yet the damned Windows.old is still in my system. I bought Windows 10 and installed it over the free ware version. Stupid idea. Windows installation
    put windows 7 into a directory called Windows.old and gave it SYSTEM permissions. Nothing I have as Administrator will affect this Windows.old directory. And if one more clown tells me to run disk cleanup I will puke. You need SYSTEM permissions to affect
    the Windows.old directory at all. I have been trying to get this resolved for four months and I keep getting the same resolutions....don't you people read my letters on the subject? I need help. What is Blamers telephone number or Gates they MIGHT be able
    to help.

Mike

help people!!

Mikey The Magnificent, Oct 26, 2016
  3. remove windows.old

Mikey The Magnificent, Oct 26, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

NavyLCDR, Oct 26, 2016
  5. DeathShot Win User
    I knew I forgot to say something in my original post. Doesn't work in safe mode either.

Edit: I should also add that I tried disabling my anti-virus in case that was the reason, even though it shouldn't be :|

DeathShot, Oct 26, 2016
  6. Bree New Member
    One reason for not being able to delete Windows.old seems to be that a driver is still being loaded from it rather than from the new install. This thread suggests a way to find out which and to disable it so you can complete the delete.

Windows.old quick way to delete

7. I had issues with a Windows Old folder myself in the past. What worked for me was to use Disk Cleanup. I let it do its first scan and then I would click Clean up system files. The program would then do a second scan. Doing that added an option for deleting old Windows installations or something like that. I would just click everything once. Hopefully this works for you.

EricFarmer7x, Oct 26, 2016
  8. TrustMe Win User

I used a Linux live flash drive, took less than 5 minutes. I also read CCleaner has a way to delete it.

TrustMe, Oct 26, 2016
  9. Bree New Member
    The quick way to go straight to the full scan including system files is to 'Run as Administrator'. And the easiest way to find a 'Disk Clean Up' to right-click on is to type 'disk clean up' in the Cortana/Search box.

10. DeathShot Win User
    Well it doesn't matter anymore. I tried to use CCleaner to remove it and now Windows wont boot in anything but safe mode, and it will not finish a system recovery, and CCleaner also removed all recovery points (even though I did not select that option) older than the last one, so I don't have any other fall back. Going to do a clean install of Windows on this desktop, and once everything is settled down, I'm going to give microsoft a piece of my mind.

DeathShot, Oct 26, 2016
  11. DeathShot Win User
    Apparently even when you format all partitions and then delete them in the Windows installer before doing a clean install of Windows it still makes a Windows.old? Well it did for me anyways, so I tried your solution and it worked. There is a driver file left behind still, not Intel Audio because I don't have that but something else, so I'll go see if I can maybe use that thread @Bree linked to see what it is and fix it, who knows. But thank you, at least it's only taking up 13MB now.

DeathShot, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows permissions for Windows.old directory - Similar Threads - permissions old directory

2. Windowapps directory permissions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windowapps directory permissions: I have been trying to install a new update to a program I installed through the microsoft store. Sadly the program doesn't meet the minimum API requirements to be distributed through the store currently but I still want to have the current version I can download through the...
  3. Windowapps directory permissions

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windowapps directory permissions: I have been trying to install a new update to a program I installed through the microsoft store. Sadly the program doesn't meet the minimum API requirements to be distributed through the store currently but I still want to have the current version I can download through the...
  4. Incorrect permissions on Windows Search directories in Windows 11

in Windows 10 News
    Incorrect permissions on Windows Search directories in Windows 11: [ATTACH]In this article, we will talk about some solutions to fix the “Incorrect permissions on Windows Search directories” issue in Windows 11. This error message occurs due to Windows Search permission issues. According to the affected users, many of their newly installed...
  5. unwanted permission restrictions on directory

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    unwanted permission restrictions on directory: I have a directory on an external drive that has become password protected with no read access. We did not create these access restrictions and don't know how they happened. Any attempt to read from the directory gets a message about not having read access. Any attempt to...
  6. Windows Search directory permissions fail

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Search directory permissions fail: My Windows Search bar has stopped responding altogether. It doesn't open at all. I have tried the search & indexing troubleshooter, and it recognizes there's an issue with the directory permissions but fails to fix it. I researched from around the internet the possible root...
  7. Incorrect permissions on Windows Search directories

in Cortana
    Incorrect permissions on Windows Search directories: Hello, Most of the users are facing issue with indexing I tried troubleshooting and i get this error. [ATTACH] I tried to rebuild index, repaired office package, checked the permissions on the windows search folders, Disabled and re-enabled the feature dism...
  8. The permission for "directory" are incorrectly ordered...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    The permission for "directory" are incorrectly ordered...: Good afternoon, Used are Server Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard 6.3.9600 (64bit) / was migrated from Windows Server 2010 Local computer Windows10 ver 10.0.18362.295 (64bit) User have admin rights (on source and destination) Data copied from server to local computer...
  9. problem with directory permissions / installation

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    problem with directory permissions / installation: I run a piece of software called videopsalm. It was working fine for several months, then after a windows update it started having problems writing the temp files it needs. (unable to find/write temp files in documents subfolders) I've uninstalled it and I'm trying to...
  10. Window old directory in C drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Window old directory in C drive: Hi All, After upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10 using the free upgrade program from MS, the old windows 7 installation has been moved a folder call Windows.old. I am not sure if this is for reverting back to Windows 7 in case Windows 10 installation fails or for some...