Windows 10: Windows Phone is dead

Discus and support Windows Phone is dead in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Windows Phone is dead Windows Phone started off life as a promising alternative to Android and iOS five years ago. Microsoft positioned its... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Cluster Head, Jan 30, 2016.

1. Windows Phone is dead

Windows Phone is dead

Read more: http://www.theverge.com/2016/1/28/10...-phone-is-dead

:)

Cluster Head, Jan 30, 2016

2. I don't want my Windows Phone to sync contacts, calendar, and documents to "the cloud"!

Jay, but the problem is that the personal data is still synced to your main account, which you say you have no control over. I do not want one bit of personal data on any cloud service, let alone with MS/Google/Apple/social media.

Perhaps the solution is to:

1) create an Outlook account. Download all the apps that are desired.

2) under server settings, put random letters in there so the account can't sync to the cloud.

3) then add contacts and calender events.

Privacy is dead, Jan 30, 2016
  3. I don't want my Windows Phone to sync contacts, calendar, and documents to "the cloud"!

This is extrememly frustrating. And if I can't figure it out I will return the phone and get an Android.

I want to be able to download apps (which requires an Outlook account) but not sync ANY contacts, calendar, or documents to the Microsoft cloud. There is NO setting I could find in either my new Lumia 925 or within Outlook webmail account settings. If
    I delete the contacts or calendar from the cloud, then it automatically does this to my phone! This is insane, and a total loss of control over my privacy.

Please tell me there is a solution to this, one where I can download apps (ie be able to use my smartphone fully in ways I see fit) without the auto syncing. I completely understand this syncing of contacts and such is a desired feature for people, and
    that is fine, but give us an option Microsoft!

Privacy is dead, Jan 30, 2016
  4. larc919 Win User

Windows Phone is dead

Windows Phone was too late to the ball. I think MS does better overall when they innovate instead of trying to insinuate themselves into existing successfully established fields. Make others copy you, MS, not the reverse.

larc919, Jan 30, 2016
  5. snoopy51 Win User
    Well, I went to one of Developer Conference in Florida by Microsoft several years ago. Roughly about 80-100 Windows Phones were used at the meeting out of 800 developers.

I was not impressed and never attend the follow up meeting.

snoopy51, Jan 30, 2016
  6. ARC1020 Win User
    "Microsoft only sold 4.5 million Lumia devices in the recent quarter, compared to 10.5 million at the same time last year"

Only? Taylor Swift's album "1989" was the quickest album to climb to 5 million copies sold since 2004 and it took 36 weeks (9 months) to get to the 5 million mark. So according to The Verge, presumably Taylor Swift is also dead and should give up?

But, I agree with the above poster that Microsoft were caught off guard. However, without doubt Windows Mobile is too important for Microsoft to not bother with and they will know that they can't afford to be out of the mobile game for their future as an OS maker. As computing devices get smaller and smaller, without Windows Mobile, Microsoft would be in real trouble in the future.

But of course the other question is, are iOS and Android phones so bad that people need to continuously keep replacing them? *Eek *Biggrin

ARC1020, Jan 30, 2016
  7. sgage Win User
    What an absurd analogy.

sgage, Jan 31, 2016
  8. Winuser Win User

Windows Phone is dead

I'm very happy with my Windows Phone. I for one plan on staying with a Windows Phone for as long as I can. I never had any problems with my Android Phones, I just like my Windows Phone Better.

Winuser, Jan 31, 2016
  9. doorules Win User
    Still to this day I have never seen a single person with a windows phone. I don't think Android or Apple even know they exist, lol.

doorules, Jan 31, 2016
  10. Tony K Win User
    *Ditto except it took 2 or 3 days off and on to set up my Droid X2 the way I like it after an OS update or hard reset. Been out of the loop with Android as of 3 years, but everything on my Lumia is backed up in my MS account to where it takes roughly 45 minutes tops to upgrade. Never had to hard reset it in 3 years. I'll be upgrading to 10 upon final release.

Tony K, Jan 31, 2016
  11. Edwin New Member
    As I mentioned to @Cluster Head earlier, if Windows Phone dies off, I'll have a really nice, sophisticated MP3 player! *Wink

Edwin, Jan 31, 2016
  12. Tony K Win User
    Microsoft Display Dock - Microsoft - USA

I think that's innovative.

Tony K, Jan 31, 2016
  13. PaulGo Win User

Windows Phone is dead

So Windows Phone may follow in the footsteps of Zune!

PaulGo, Jan 31, 2016
  14. WHS
    whs Win User
    This is too bad. I love my Windows phone. This is my computer for on the go. For the $49 that I paid (unlocked) it was the best investment I ever made.

15. doorules Win User
    Samsung has Sidesync app which allows the phone to be run through pc or tablet. Seems to be pretty much the same thing as what MS is showing in that link. Samsung does it with wifi so no cables or anything else needed. Been out since the release of the s6 I think, nearly a year now.

doorules, Jan 31, 2016
Thema:

Windows Phone is dead

1. Windows Phone is dead - Similar Threads - Phone dead

2. Windows 10 - activation without phone and without internet connection

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 - activation without phone and without internet connection: Hello,I would like to automate the process of activating windows without calling the center and without internet connection.So I can use a script to deploy all the devices that I have without doing this **** call.Thanks in advance,Arthur...
  3. Windows 10 - activation without phone and without internet connection

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 - activation without phone and without internet connection: Hello,I would like to automate the process of activating windows without calling the center and without internet connection.So I can use a script to deploy all the devices that I have without doing this **** call.Thanks in advance,Arthur...
  4. Windows 10 - activation without phone and without internet connection

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. In the Windows Phone emulator - hardware gyro/accelerometer controlls?

In the Windows Phone emulator - hardware gyro/accelerometer controlls?: In the Windows Phone emulator I picked up here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=53424I am wonderering if there is a way to use hardware accelerometer controls as opposed to the virtual accelerometer controlls. If there is a way to feed any of this...
  6. Giving life back to a heavily Bricked dead phone

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Giving life back to a heavily Bricked dead phone: HiI have Alcatel Pop 4+ 5056D which is heavily Hard Bricked I'm trying to figure out how how to flash it again It has Qualcomm Snapdragon MSM 8909 CPU I'm trying to use EDL method But I can't find it's rawprogram, patch file on Stock ROM to get through. Is there any solution...
  7. Giving life back to a heavily Bricked dead phone

Giving life back to a heavily Bricked dead phone: HiI have Alcatel Pop 4+ 5056D which is heavily Hard Bricked I'm trying to figure out how how to flash it again It has Qualcomm Snapdragon MSM 8909 CPU I'm trying to use EDL method But I can't find it's rawprogram, patch file on Stock ROM to get through. Is there any solution...
  8. Giving life back to a heavily Bricked dead phone

in Windows 10 Customization
  9. is windows store on windows ten phone dead yet

is windows store on windows ten phone dead yet: is windows store on windows ten phone dead yet https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-windows-store-on-windows-ten-phone-dead-yet/8a33e15f-3c7b-48ce-8291-94ef925eafd2
  10. MS Says Windows Phone Isn’t Dead, All Eyes Now on the Surface Phone

in Windows 10 News
    MS Says Windows Phone Isn’t Dead, All Eyes Now on the Surface Phone: Microsoft Says Windows Phone Isn’t Dead, All Eyes Now on the Surface Phone We continue to support the platform, Windows boss says Microsoft has announced a new round of layoffs impacting its mobile business, but in an email sent to employees this morning, Terry...