Windows 10: Windows Photo Viewer next/previous arrows

Discus and support Windows Photo Viewer next/previous arrows in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hey all, I switched to Windows 10 a few weeks ago and have been trying to find a solution to a problem with the Windows Photo Viewer. If I open... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Enteen, Oct 21, 2015.

1. Enteen Win User

Windows Photo Viewer next/previous arrows

Hey all,

I switched to Windows 10 a few weeks ago and have been trying to find a solution to a problem with the Windows Photo Viewer.

If I open a folder full of my photos, I am unable to advance to the next or previous pictures using the arrow keys on either side of the 'Play slide show' button, or the directional keys on my keyboard (as I was previously able to do in Windows 8). Windows Photo Viewer is set to be my default viewer for all extensions as well.

Am I missing something?

Thank you for your help!

:)

Enteen, Oct 21, 2015

2. Why do you prefer the Windows Photo Viewer over the Win 10 Photos app?

1,) Because the windows 10 photos app delete and previous/next arrows in that black box block part of the viewing area!

2.) Scroll wheel is set to previous/next, and it was better in the previous windows photo viewer when it was set to zoom.

SemperAye1, Oct 21, 2015
  3. Windows 10 photo app doesn't scroll to next photos

Original Title: Photos app

Hello!

How can I select the next / previous image in Windows 10 Photos App like in the "Windows Photo viewer" that has Windows 7?

I don't want to create an album, I just want to be able to select the next image by pressing the right arrow key.

PatrickGöbels, Oct 21, 2015
  4. Ztruker Win User

Not sure what to suggest as it works fine for me.

Ztruker, Oct 23, 2015
  5. Joergi Win User
    I know that problem.

For me, this is not present always, but sometimes, depending on situation:
    It seems to depend on the sorting in the folder from which you open the program: When next to the image file you open there is another image file, then you can go to that direction. However, if the next file cannot be opened by Photo Viewer, then you can't.
    This behaviour is rather annoying, because if the arrow did work for the first time (because the next file was an image file), then it will also work for the following files - even if there are some files between, which Photo Viewer cannot open. It then just jumps to the next image. But if the first file to switch to cannot be viewed, then the arrow doesn't work.

I hope the problem got more clear now. I would like to have a solution for that one as well!

Joergi, Oct 23, 2015
  6. I find that opening all images in a folder works. CTRL+A then ENTER if all you have in the folder are images. If it's a mix of files, CTRL +A then right click an image and click open.

Extra steps = UX Fail! Common Microsoft... we just want to navigate images in a folder like in older versions.

NateoftheSouth, Jan 17, 2016
  7. skiahh Win User
    Here's some more info. I've been trying to research this one for a little while now; it must be something with a new update.

New photos I copy to a picture folder will not show the left/right arrows, but old pictures previously in the folder will work just fine. I tried an experiment where I copied all photos from one folder to another and then back. Originally, some worked and new ones did not. When I copied them back, none will show the advance/go back arrows.

This is a new development; I noticed this a couple of weeks (or so) ago and have been trying to find a solution since then.

And to throw a wrench into things, I copied the same folder to a NAS drive and then opened the pictures through Explorer and they give the arrows, new and old. Weird.

I'm at a complete loss on this one!

skiahh, Feb 6, 2016
  8. nbrook12 Win User

I encountered this problem when I ordered my photos by date. When I reverted back to order by title the problem resolved itself.

You can change the order of your photos by changing the view to 'details'.
    Then click on the heading 'Name'.

nbrook12, Apr 27, 2016
  9. rezablade Win User
    I had the exact same problem. I checked the properties of the folder containing the photos, and noticed it was "Read Only". I unchecked the box, and that solved the problem for me.

rezablade, Oct 21, 2016
  10. Steve C Win User
    I've set the Photos App as my default viewer for quick viewing of Photos in preference to Windows Photo Viewer or Photo Gallery. The Photos App is one of the few Apps I actually find useful.

Steve C, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows Photo Viewer next/previous arrows - Similar Threads - Photo Viewer next

2. Next and previous arrow missing from email

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Next and previous arrow missing from email: Next and previous arrow missing from email from outlook.live.com. Not the Microsoft 365 version. Using Crtl < will do previous, but Ctrl > will not show next. PLEASE Microsoft fix this issue. And no, I do not want to purchase Microsoft 365 unless it is free....
  3. Next or Previous arrows missing in the Photos App of Windows 11/10

in Windows 10 News
    Next or Previous arrows missing in the Photos App of Windows 11/10: [ATTACH]This post features different solutions to try if Next or Previous arrows are missing in the Photos App. The latest Windows OS comes with a complete revamp and a new photo viewing application called Microsoft Photos. It is a great upgrade over its predecessor and...
  4. No next/previous arrows in Photos App

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No next/previous arrows in Photos App: Since updating to Windows 11 the Photos app is no longer letting me arrow through my photos in a folder. They just aren't there anymore. Not on the photo or using the keyboard. It is very frustrating to open the photos individually....
  5. No next/previous arrows in Photos App

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No next/previous arrows in Photos App: Since updating to Windows 11 the Photos app is no longer letting me arrow through my photos in a folder. They just aren't there anymore. Not on the photo or using the keyboard. It is very frustrating to open the photos individually....
  6. Photos App viewer, No Next or Previous buttons

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Photos App viewer, No Next or Previous buttons: Hi,Photos App ver 20H2 since a few month do not have the Next - Previous buttons. It seems folders related!This PC has an external drive attached to it with lots of photos as well the normal "Pictures" folder in the C: drive.Opening or viewing photos in the External drive is...
  7. Windows Photo viewer won't show 'next/previous' arrows when file is launched in Powershell

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Photo viewer won't show 'next/previous' arrows when file is launched in Powershell: I have a folder with four '.jpg' files and a '.mp4' video file. When I double click one of the files, the Windows Photo viewer displays the photo, with the 'next/previous' arrows available. When launching one of the files using Powershell, the Windows Photo viewer...
  8. Windows Photo Viewer - next/previous picture...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Photo Viewer - next/previous picture...: How can I go to the next picture? Left-Right, or PgUp-PgDn does only work if the zoom is set to the default. I want to zoom and still be able to switch to other pictures without having to reset to default first. submitted by /u/Lausiv_Edisn [link] [comments]...
  9. No arrow to advance to next photo

No arrow to advance to next photo: Hi, There is no arrow to advance to the next photo in a folder. The arrows were there a week ago. Now I have to close the present photo and open the next. That is very tedious and time consuming. I have tried to reset and remove the app. That hat worked either. Does anyone...
  10. Photos app next / previous arrows not showing up.

Photos app next / previous arrows not showing up.: I'm not getting any previous / next arrows in the Photos app when opening a photo within a folder full of photos. The folders have only images in them. The folder optimization is set to "Pictures". Still no arrows in the Photos preview. These folders are linked to my...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. win 10 photos 2020 shows no arrow to advance to next photo

2. do not see arrow to view next photo windows

3. windows photo viewer next previous

4. windows photo viewer next/previous arrows