Windows 10: Windows Photo Viewer - one-by-one VS slideshow...the colors change!

Discus and support Windows Photo Viewer - one-by-one VS slideshow...the colors change! in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I used instructions from this forum to get Windows Photo Viewer back on my Windows 10 machine, thank you. When I 'page through' a folder with photos... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by ClarePenn, Aug 29, 2016.

1. ClarePenn Win User

Windows Photo Viewer - one-by-one VS slideshow...the colors change!

I used instructions from this forum to get Windows Photo Viewer back on my Windows 10 machine, thank you. When I 'page through' a folder with photos the colors are back to matching (as close as I can tell anyway) the colors I saw in photoshop when I made the file. I put Photo Viewer in because this was not the case in the Photos program that comes as the default with Windows 10.

But wait! The slideshow colors inside Photo Viewer are so obviously completely different from the one-by-ones, I'm hoping you can help me get the slideshow working too. I apologize if this is an old story and I just missed the fix. Thank you!

:)

ClarePenn, Aug 29, 2016
  2. Dave46a Win User

Windows10 Photoviewer Problems

The new photo viewer in Windows 10 does not work properly. If I choose "slideshow" in viewer, the photos are viewed full screen and display one at a time. The viewer steps through the photos one at a time, beginning with the one it was on when "slide show
    was selected. It progresses through the photos until it suddenly flips back to where it first started. It refuses to go through all of the photos in the current directory. I thought Windows 10 worked. Not so. Is there a better app for working with photos
    that works?

Dave46a, Aug 29, 2016
  3. hanksrw Win User
    Slideshow settings in Photo app on window 10 adjusting duration

This app is also flawed compared to the Windows 7 Photo Viewer in that when playing the slideshow the photos are not maximized to the edge of the screen. Also you cannot set the slideshow to loop or be random. I guess MS would know this however, as they
    are pretty damn obvious omissions. So it's back to Windows Photo Viewer for me (the registry edits are out there if you need them).

Hope you sort it out one day.

hanksrw, Aug 29, 2016
  4. Fafhrd Win User

Is it because the slideshow is full screen, but the one-by one view is scaled-down fractionally?

The scaled-down versions will show pixels that are colored to average values of more than one pixel, and may appear a little washed-out, smeary, and the edges of objects and text will appear slightly poorly defined or blurry.

If it's the other way around as your post appears to imply, then are you running at native resolution for your Monitor? - or at some increased scale like 125% - which may make fullscreen images appear slightly "wrong".

EDIT - Then I got distracted and forgot to mention the built-in color calibration functions in the Windows 10 Advanced Display Settings reached by right clicking on the desktop, and following the menu choices, which may lead to a more uniform experience if all your display hardware settings work in harmony.

Fafhrd, Aug 29, 2016
  5. ClarePenn Win User
    Thank you!

Yes, it's the slideshow that is wrong, faded badly as the Photos program that came with Windows 10 did, and the one-by-one view in Photo Viewer fixed.

The one-by-one is scaled down ever so slightly from the slideshow because I run the one-by-one at full screen too so the difference is a small heading and footer. My display is one of those mega-pixel guys which I cannot begin to read at 100% so I run it normally at 175%. I just put it to 100% to test that idea and the slideshow was still very faded.

I did go through the display settings and everything looked ok. My photoshop is ok I think and hence the one-by-one that looks like the photoshop version, because the pictures generally look fine on other people's displays - computers, tablets, phones, etc.

If you have any other ideas I'm happy to try them!

ClarePenn, Aug 29, 2016
  6. Fafhrd Win User
    Even though you have tried all reasonable avenues, I feel that Microsoft will not be very helpful regarding full rehabilitation or offer better support for the Windows Photo Viewer - which they seem to feel is legacy software (although it has functionality beyond their chosen successor - the Photos App, which many feel is not a worthy successor) - although we users can continue to complain via the Feedback Hub in our droves - I try to complain with each Insider update that the old functionality is not present in the latest builds - perhaps there will be some bending of resolve.

One problem is that the Windows Photo Viewer is not a standalone application - it is an executable .dll file called via rundll32.exe by primary applications - originally the Windows Fax driver to view fax images, and later by Explorer.exe, as a general image file previewer and springboard to image manipulation programs - which emphasises it's evolution and legacy provenance.

In these cases third party image viewers seem to be the only alternative - if you can find a suitable one.

Wikipedia offer a comparison page: Comparison of image viewers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Fafhrd, Aug 29, 2016
  7. At last on my new laptop I was able to put Windows Photo Viewer Back by following the instructions,
    I do not have any of what you are getting

hTconeM9user, Aug 29, 2016
  8. ClarePenn Win User

Thank you all!

Since your pictures were looking ok in both modes hT, I saved a random picture off the internet, opened it with Photo Viewer, and it did look much more, if not entirely the same in one-by-one and slideshow mode. Now I'm worried that I'm saving my pictures wrong...or something...I wonder how could that happen?

Any ideas most welcome!

ClarePenn, Aug 29, 2016
  9. Fafhrd Win User
    For years I thought Microsoft might take the route of "One App To Show Them All" to paraphrase LOTR, because it came close with Internet Explorer being able to shift to (File) Explorer, MSOffice apps almost seamlessly and with the ability to show graphic images too.

EDGE defaulted to PDF reader too, but was poorly featured, and when a file location was typed in, it reverted to File Explorer, so no progress there.

Google Chrome can take a path to a folder and open various image files (among other data types), but cannot offer a slideshow mode, so there's little competition there for MS Developers to seamlessly view various filetypes, or the same filetype in a page-by-page or slideshow format. Shame.

Fafhrd, Aug 29, 2016
  10. ClarePenn Win User
    Thanks for the Chrome idea! Feel free to skip down to IN SUMMARY below...

I tried Chrome and the NEF (Nikon's raw) wouldn't display but the JPEGs saved from photoshop (both 'save as' and 'save for web') looked fine.

From Windows Photo Viewer displaying one-by-one, NEF and JPEGs all look fine.

I downloaded FastStone (a 3rd party slideshow option) and the NEFs looked fine. The JPEGs where I used 'save as', the color looks faded, but where I used 'save for web' the color looks fine. It's the same for them in one-by-one or slideshow.

From Windows Photo Viewer Slideshow, it acts the same as FastStone where the 'save as' JPEGs are faded but 'save for web' color-wise is ok. One thing, I 'save as' first then make the picture much smaller for 'save for web' so 'save for web' is already a JPEG before it gets saved...and that double process might have something to do with it?

In summary! JPEGs created in photoshop with 'save as' from NEF files display properly in Chrome and Windows Photo Viewer one-by-one and display faded in Windows Photo Viewer Slideshow and FastStone.

If you have any recommendations of what else I can test, what slideshow software might work, a photoshop expert in case I'm saving these files wrong...any help at all would be great!

ClarePenn, Aug 30, 2016
  11. shimshom Win User
    shimshom, Aug 30, 2016
  12. ClarePenn Win User
    Thank you shimshom, I had a look at the link but since a color cast is not my problem I didn't go through the process of deleting profiles unsure of unintended consequences BUT in the process of clicking around from that site I found this, from what a guy wrote in 2012, but it does sound like it might have something to do with me, which looks like there is an embedded profile in my JPEGs which would make one-by-one work and slideshow fail:

"(1.) Windows Photo Viewer by default honors embedded profiles in images and displays them accordingly to that profile and if an image is untagged (no profile embedded) it will default to sRGB IEC 61966-2.1 - always ignoring the specified system default profile.
    (2.) Windows Photo Viewer in Slideshow Mode does the exact opposite. It ignores embedded profiles and displays all images via the specified system default profile."

I went to FastStone's settings, CMS, Enable Color Management System (it was disabled by default) and the JPEGs in their slideshow are definitely now better than Windows Photo Viewer Slideshow. I couldn't find a similar setting in Windows Photo Viewer.

(the big hint: Windows Photo Viewer And ICC Profiles)

ClarePenn, Aug 30, 2016
  13. Fafhrd Win User

Interesting finds on the way Images are processed to look different in WPV - thanks for that info.

Google's Picasa is still around in V.3.9 - Picasa - It does a similar range of things like slideshows and image by image as in WPV, but it is a total image organizer if you want - and will back up images to Google Drive cloud storage, I think, and has a range of image modification effects, transforms, and other manipulations. Free to use.

Crazy - after having downloaded from the link above, and installed and opened Picasa I get taken here:

What's happening to Picasa Picasa Web Albums? - Picasa and Picasa Web Albums Help

Of which the gist is Picasa is retired - it will work but is unsupported, so possibly a no-go -sorry - while in the background it is busy cataloging all my pictures hmpf!

Fafhrd, Aug 31, 2016
  14. ClarePenn Win User
    Too bad about Picasa - people like it. Now that I understand about the embedded profile not being read by some programs (MPV Slideshow it seems!), I feel much better! At least the 10s of 1000s of JPEGs I've saved with photoshop are not ruined...and the free and easy FastStone is running slideshows a-ok with decent color.

So thanks to all who participated, for walking with me down this particular path. See you next time I get stuck!

ClarePenn, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows Photo Viewer - one-by-one VS slideshow...the colors change! - Similar Threads - Photo Viewer slideshow

2. Photos app vs Windows 8 Photo Viewer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Photos app vs Windows 8 Photo Viewer: So I recently made the final switch to Windows 10 (was still using 8.1 simply because there was no need to switch, new PC obviously came with Win 10 now). One thing I miss is the Photo Viewer from Win 8.1, as the new Photos app is lacking a lot of small features that added a...
  3. Is there a way to use the accent color on just one program (Windows Photo Viewer)?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there a way to use the accent color on just one program (Windows Photo Viewer)?: I recently updated to 1903 and now Windows Photo Viewer has a very distracting bright white bar on the top and bottom. It used to be gray or something neutral before the update, not bright glaring white. That sticks out like an eyesore on the bottom, where it's so large. I...
  4. "Windows Photo Viewer" cropping images in slideshow

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    "Windows Photo Viewer" cropping images in slideshow: I prefer to use "Windows Photo Viewer" for viewing images since like forever, and since I upgraded to windows 10 I have been facing some issues. I recently upgraded to Windows 10, but when I use the same it shows all the images cropped whenever I enter the slideshow mode. Is...
  5. Windows photo viewer keeps changing the color

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows photo viewer keeps changing the color: Hi! I have issue that windows photo viewer (the hidden program, not the app) changes colors of photos. I heard it has something to do with color profiles. So I opened Colour Management and removed all profiles for all monitors. Didnt notice any effects on monitors themselves...
  6. photos vs photo viewer

photos vs photo viewer: If I double click on a .tif file in File Explorer it opens in Photo Viewer whereas if I double click on a .jpg file it opens in Photos. I much prefer using Photo Viewer because you can run a slide show from there & with a right click adjust the speed or duration to Fast,...
  7. How to Change Color of Windows Photo Viewer Menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to Change Color of Windows Photo Viewer Menu: I am looking for a way to change the color of Windows Photo viewer's menu options. Is it possible to customize it via a custom theme, Or can it be done by registry or by modifying photo viewer dll file. [img] 116199
  8. Change Windows Photo Viewer Background Color

in Windows 10 Customization
    Change Windows Photo Viewer Background Color: I would like to change the default background color in the Windows Photo Viewer program, not the new app, the original Photo Viewer. I have tried the registry key fix but it does not seem to work with Windows 10. (Create new DWORD 32bit value in...
  9. Windows Photo Viewer - wrong colors?

Windows Photo Viewer - wrong colors?: Greetings. When watching photos in Windows Photo Viewer all colors are added a "yellow" look. How do I change that so it looks normal? If I resize the window so there are borders, they are yellow allso! Look at attached eksample. 4251
  10. Change Windows Photo Viewer Background Color in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Windows Photo Viewer Background Color in Windows: How to: Change Windows Photo Viewer Background Color in Windows How to Change Windows Photo Viewer Background Color in Windows [img] Information You can use Windows Photo Viewer to view your image files in a variety of ways, print, order prints, attach pictures to an...