Windows 10: Windows PowerShell acting weird?

Discus and support Windows PowerShell acting weird? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, After updating from insider to 15063 and 15063.11 RTM powershell seems to be showing random symbols, but when I try to copy paste these... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by GioXmen, Mar 31, 2017.

1. GioXmen Win User

Windows PowerShell acting weird?

Hello,

After updating from insider to 15063 and 15063.11 RTM powershell seems to be showing random symbols, but when I try to copy paste these symbols somewhere else they show up as normal text.

In powershell I see this:

Windows PowerShell acting weird? [​IMG]

After copy paste I get this:

Windows PowerShell
    Copyright (C) 2016 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32>

I also had this issue in 15058 (not in 15048) and also all of my apps were gone and did not function( fixed that by doing manual resets in settings app).

The issue is probably with powershell's data since most other apps had issues with that and needed a reset, but there is no option to reset powershell in the settings app :/

:)

GioXmen, Mar 31, 2017
  2. 'Mike P Win User

Photo app will not stay open in windows 10

Often just uninstalling then reinstalling fixes apps that have the disappearing act.

Command Prompt (admin) two commands;

PowerShell

Get-AppxPackage *photo* | Remove-AppxPackage

then Restart the computer and search the store for Microsoft Photo

'Mike P, Mar 31, 2017
  3. mobile hotspot not staying

Hi ghost1982,

I agree with you but this is a Windows setting. The mobile hotspot remains active as long as there is at least one connected device, if after 5-6 minutes no device is connected to the mobile hotspot, the system will disable it
    automatically.
    I do not know if this default setting can be changed by acting on the registry or through the commands in PowerShell.

I'm not aware of it.

Updating Update Creators is an important update, and as it is important, Windows will always try to install it.

franco d'esaro, Mar 31, 2017
  4. bro67 Win User

That looks more like a GPU driver problem. Does this happen with any other programs? What GPU do you have on your computer and are you using a second or external screen?

bro67, Mar 31, 2017
  5. Berton Win User
    I'm using Insider Preview Version 1703 Build 15063.11 and don't see that problem. Haven't seen an official RTM Version 1703 Build 15063.11 yet.

Berton, Mar 31, 2017
  6. GioXmen Win User
    I have a GTX 1070, and I have updated my graphics driver, did not fix the issue. I do not have any similar issues with other applications.

The only thing I could try is doing a complete clean driver install with DDU.

Might be because I am still an insider, shouldn't be an issue, since I had this problem with 15063 too.

GioXmen, Mar 31, 2017
  7. Pyprohly Win User
    Pyprohly, Mar 31, 2017
  8. GioXmen Win User

Thanks for the suggestion! Sadly it did not work( option two looked promising) , done option two and ran the batch file as administrator in option three, did not help :/

P.S Seems like Powershell ISE does work, but the default Powershell does not. [GREEN] - works, [RED] - does not work.

GioXmen, Mar 31, 2017
  9. bro67 Win User
    Should not be doing that at all. Try uninstalling device and driver and reboot to let windows install the default microsoft version. If no, you will have to do a clean install of windows.

bro67, Apr 1, 2017
  10. GioXmen Win User
    Just removed my GPU and it is still broken with intel HD graphics, well if fixing it means doing a clean install of windows then that just means it will have to stay broken :/

GioXmen, Apr 1, 2017
  11. lx07 Win User
    It sounds like either something is corrupt in %localappdata% so a new account would fix it or something is bust with powershell and a repair install would most likely fix it.

Try a new account - if that doesn't work a repair install only takes half an hour (assuming you have the ISO already) and you get to keep all your programs/documents etc.

12. GioXmen Win User
    It is VERY likely that something in powershell's data is corrupt, since most apps after upgrading to this build did not work, and only started to work after doing resets( deleting the data and starting fresh) from settings.

Is there any ways to delete the stuff that powershell uses and just make it regenerate everything?

Going to try making a new account and see if powershell is fixed

GioXmen, Apr 1, 2017
  13. bro67 Win User

No sadly not. You may be able to do a hide in Windows programs in the Windows updates side of Programs.

Get a video of it doing it and hardware info through Speccy and send to the person in charge of the Insider program. They may ask for dump logs and some other stuff if they need it.

If you have an extra drive, try a clean install on it and se if the problem happens again. If not, then we know something is screwed up on the current drive and needs diagnosed.

If you have a backup before this started, try that first. Also try a Linux Mint Live CD to see if the problem replicates with it. If not, then we are dealing with another what in the H did Microsoft's Software Engineers do to screw up their OS again.

bro67, Apr 1, 2017
  14. GioXmen Win User
    Ok, so it goes like this:

I have been on build 15048 where powershell worked normally, then I upgraded to 15058 - broken, then I downgraded back to 15048 - works again. 15063 comes out for insiders I upgrade to it and yet again, same bug, and then I revert back and it works. So in total I have tried 3 times to upgrade to 15063 with no bugs - no luck. Now when the RTM build came out, I decided to update and fix my issues one by one, fixed my apps by resetting data, and now powershell is left.

If the issue can not be fixed without clean installing then it is not worth it. A repair install will most likely fail too, since it probably does not touch any program data, which is where the fault most likely is and I don't have a 2 TB backup drive to back my stuff up *Sad

My hardware shouldn't be the issue ,since I have had windows 10 for a couple of years now, and only the two latest builds have been corrupting something after updating.

IF I knew where powershell keeps its program data, I could transfer a fresh copy from my laptop, since it is currently on build 15063.

P.S I have also installed powershell 6 alpha to see if it also has any issues, and no, it works just fine :/

I have a feeling it is because my OS is really old, well old enough. My laptop( which has a relatively fresh OS) went through 5 insider builds before 15058 and 15063 and it had no issues. If only my insider build didn't have an expiration date, then I could have waited for a couple of months *Tongue

GioXmen, Apr 2, 2017
  15. Berton Win User
    Reading the other thread about Insider Preview Version 1703 Build 15063.0 through Version 1703 Build 15063.11 indicates the RTM version will be coming soon. There has been speculation on other sites that Version 1703 Build 15063.11 RTM has been leaked but as with previous test/BETA versions of Windows over the last several years there could be an issue with leaked/unofficial installs.

Berton, Apr 2, 2017
Thema:

1. Windows PowerShell acting weird? - Similar Threads - PowerShell acting weird

2. Windows 11 acting weird

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 acting weird: Hello microsoft community!I am using windows 11I actually made a mistake and disable windows defender system. Then I realized windows acting weird. Then I recovered all my settings to 3 hours so that the windows defender system started. But after that I realized some of the...
  3. Windows PC Acting Weird

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows PC Acting Weird: Hello! I hope you are having a nice day.My Windows PC has been said as per my router to have connected to some malicious website about an hour in the future, that makes 0 sense and I'm wondering what it is.It came from this PC, and there is an unknown Linux device on my...
  4. Windows PC Acting Weird

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows PC Acting Weird: Hello! I hope you are having a nice day.My Windows PC has been said as per my router to have connected to some malicious website about an hour in the future, that makes 0 sense and I'm wondering what it is.It came from this PC, and there is an unknown Linux device on my...
  5. Windows acting weird

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows acting weird: Hey, been having some weird problems with windows since building this computer. Specs: Intel Core i7-10700K RTX 3070 Gigabyte OC 8gb 750W Corsair 80 PLUS Gold RM750x Kingston SA2000 M.2 Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 C16 So the issues I'm having are:...
  6. Windows is acting weird

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows is acting weird: Hello, I have had a problem for some time now. Windows is acting weird that when I want to use something related to windows it just randomly keeps tabbing. For example, I click on the windows symbol to open the menu, and windows just scroll back and forth like when I am...
  7. window snapping acts weird

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    window snapping acts weird: [ATTACH] Hey guys, i got a problem: The windows snapping tool doesn't work on my pc: Every time i want to snap a window to the side it snaps, but the window is slightly larger than my screen. See the following screenshots for further explanation (pay attention to the...
  8. Windows defender is acting weird.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows defender is acting weird.: So, I recently got a brand new computer, and I wanted to personalize some of my settings. I went to windows defender, and when I tried to open some of the settings, I kept getting the "You'll need a new app to open this" window. I've been having a hard time trying to find a...
  9. Windows acting weird

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows acting weird: My dell computer with windows sometimes makes noise, even when it is turned off. Not the sound of the fan, but it will often use the notifcation jingle. I’ve reset, used windows defender to check for viruses, and looked all over, but I can’t seem to find a solution. If anyone...
  10. windows 10 acting weird

in Windows 10 Support
    windows 10 acting weird: for the past couple of days now my pc a sony vaio desktop with windows 10 has been acting weird slow to boot up, no text showing in my files, my Web browsers are also not working and when I shut my pc down I get a blue screen no idea what to do ? [img] 105437

Users found this page by searching for:

1. PowerShell ISE acting funny