Windows 10: Windows product key on label differs to retrievd key

Discus and support Windows product key on label differs to retrievd key in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; UPDATE found my own answer... apparently the key on the label is the OEM key the manufacturer is obliged to give with an OEM product. the '... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by reddwarf4ever, Nov 29, 2015.

1. Windows product key on label differs to retrievd key

UPDATE
    found my own answer...
    apparently the key on the label is the OEM key the manufacturer is obliged to give with an OEM product.

the ' embedded' key found with magicaljellybean is the volume licensing key that the manufacturer uses to bulk activate multiple PC's

Hi
    not strictly a Windows 10 issue.

I did a product key search using jellybean on a Windows 7 PC I am about to upgrade to Windows 10. however the product key I obtained vqb3x .....etc is different from the product key on the sticker on the side of the PC.. .MMVJM....etc

just wondered why it is different ?
    thanks

:)

reddwarf4ever, Nov 29, 2015

2. activation error Error code: 0x8007007B)

0x8007007B
    Filename, directory name or volume label syntax is incorrect.
    Product key does not match edition.
    Enter different product key or connect to organisations network.

0xC004F210
    Error installing product key
    Product key entered cannot activate this edition or version.
    Enter different product key.

Gerry C J Cornell, Nov 29, 2015
  3. Iko.M. Win User
    Damaged Product Key on the Label

Yes, Contact Microsoft App was helpful ! Very good and fast feedback from Microsoft help person with chat ! Excellent ! Now I am waiting warranty answers from PC shop .

Thanks for advice !

Iko.M., Nov 29, 2015
  4. Windows product key on label differs to retrievd key

Factory Windows 7 OEM-SLP installs use a manufacturer specific key. Each Manufacturer has their own OEM-SLP key for each version of Windows 7 they ship on PC's. So for example, every HP model ABC PC that ships with Windows Home Premium will have the same HP Home Premium key. Those factory OEM-SLP installs don't activate online, they activate against a SLIC table in the BIOS added by that OEM. Those OEM-SLP keys are permanently blocked form online activation. That's so you can't use a key finder and try to use them on another PC. They will only work with the matching custom OEM install media. If you clean install Windows 7 and try to use that key it will fail activation. That's what the key on the COA sticker is for. It's a unique key for that PC only. Even then I think you have to do a phone activation the first time you use it. Just to make sure its being used on the PC it came with.

As far as I know those OEM-SLP keys are blocked by Windows 10 too if you try to enter one manually. You can't activate Windows 10 with one on a clean install. The ones on the COA sticker will work though. If you do an upgrade from a currently installed Windows 7 that is using an OEM-SLP key it will be accepted though. It just checks activation status on an upgrade and doesn't really care about the key in use. It's a legally activated install so you get a digital entitlement with your upgrade.

alphanumeric, Nov 29, 2015
  5. very informative reply thanks

reddwarf4ever, Nov 29, 2015
  6. Kyhi Win User
    when OEM's where required to place the coa on the pc..
    you got two PC activations for the price of one...

one via OEM pre-activation and the other via coa product key

Kyhi, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Windows product key on label differs to retrievd key

1. Windows product key on label differs to retrievd key - Similar Threads - product key label

2. Windows Product Key is different in system windows 10

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows Product Key is different in system windows 10: Hello,I'm trying to understand why the product key is diffrent from the CD-KEY that I bought and that I used at start to acivate my windows 10. For exemple in my current system Windows 10:Ordinateur\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows...
  3. Use product key with a different account

Use product key with a different account: Hello,I need to reinstall Windows 10 on my computer and was wondering if I could take this chance to change which Microsoft account is associated to my product key. It is currently linked to an old Hotmail account that I don't really use anymore, and would like to use my...
  4. Use product key with a different account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Use product key with a different account: Hello,I need to reinstall Windows 10 on my computer and was wondering if I could take this chance to change which Microsoft account is associated to my product key. It is currently linked to an old Hotmail account that I don't really use anymore, and would like to use my...
  5. Use product key with a different account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Different Product Keys

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Different Product Keys: So I was going to reinstall windows, and decided to get my product key. I got this pc from someone with w10 pro already installed. I go to cmd, and type the text that displays the key, and I get a key. Just to make sure, I do the notepad.vbs script and I get a different key....
  7. Same Product IDs, Different Keys

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Same Product IDs, Different Keys: Hello, We have two Lenovo P330 Windows 10 Pro boxes with embedded keys. After setting up one of the units, we decided to clone it to the other new PC. The activation worked without issues, and I'm seeing the proper keys, but the product IDs are matching. This is causing...
  8. different product key

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    different product key: I can not activate windows 10. 0x8007007B error in my display. please give me different product key. please help me. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/different-product-key/706a4405-de9e-4c92-9312-875c8ed0a859
  9. Different Product Keys

Different Product Keys: I am trying to determine the product key for system incase I need to reinstall windows. I have a windows 10 install along with a product key I used to activate windows. However when I run this command in powershell "wmic path SoftwareLicensingService get...
  10. Different Product Keys?

Different Product Keys?: Would appreciate your help. *Smile Have an Acer with a COA showing the product key for Windows 7. Ran Belarc Advisor, and it shows a different Product key for Windows 7. Any clues as to why he PKs do not match? Also, planning to install Windows 10 Home, and...