Windows 10: Windows randomly deletes restore points

Discus and support Windows randomly deletes restore points in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I think we've stated it can't be done. And there's good reason- Windows is a moving target. You can create your own manually from the GUI; the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Cerawy, Sep 3, 2017.

1. Cerawy Win User

Windows randomly deletes restore points

I said I wanted to avoid windows from making new restore points automatically. I only want my own manual restore points. I thought I explained that well in my previous post.

Cerawy, Oct 9, 2017
  2. f14tomcat Win User

@Cerawy

Is this the Job Schedule entry you are trying to find to disable auto creation of Restore Points? I keep mine disabled.

Windows randomly deletes restore points [​IMG]

f14tomcat, Oct 9, 2017
  3. hawkman Win User
    There is NO choice, its ALL or NOTHING.

What about other programs that automatically create restore points, at the moment, there are loads of them.
    and on the other hand, cleaner/tuneup utility programs that remove them after X days.

Roy

hawkman, Oct 9, 2017
  4. f14tomcat Win User

OP said "wanted to avoid windows from making new restore points automatically". I pointed him to a possible way to do that.

f14tomcat, Oct 9, 2017
  5. I do not use system restore at all, it never has been fully reliable so I just make an Image using Macrium Image at least once a day. It takes less that 3 minutes and it is very reliable.

Josey Wales, Oct 9, 2017
  6. Cerawy Win User
    Yes that seems to be it. I get an error message that says mmc could not create the snap-in, im trying to find a solution for it right now.

Yes I agree, windows system restore is very unreliable, but Im taking one step at a time. Will try to fix this first.

Cerawy, Oct 9, 2017
  7. Cerawy Win User
    Ok, so I cannot seem to get the task schedular to work. I have tried enabling microsoft net framework, tried a sfc /scannow and a chkdsk that came up with no problems.

Is there another way to disable the automatic creation of system restore points?

Cerawy, Oct 10, 2017
  8. lx07 Win User

Turn off system protection.

Your question seems like a exam question - it has no value in real life. If you can explain why you want to do it then perhaps someone will help you.

9. f14tomcat Win User
    @Cerawy

Do you happen to have CCleaner installed? As a workaround, it can be disabled there:

Windows randomly deletes restore points [​IMG]

f14tomcat, Oct 11, 2017
  10. Cerawy Win User
    Yes, that seems to be it. I have also been using CCleaner to delete the individual system restore points created by windows, so the only system resore points I got left are the ones that i created myself and that I know have been created while windows were working properly. I have also been using this guide to try and fix some of the problems with system restore points failing to restore the system. Will give it some time and come back with the results.

Cerawy, Oct 11, 2017
  11. f14tomcat Win User
    Not sure why your MMC is a bit messed up with the snap-ins, but you have a temp workaround.

f14tomcat, Oct 11, 2017
  12. Cerawy Win User
    Ok, so it works. Windows is no longer creating automatic restore points and deleting the ones i create manually. But, windows still creates a restore point whenever I remove or uninstall a program. I dont want windows to create any restore points, I want to use my own.

Cerawy, Oct 16, 2017
  13. Word Man Win User

And the endpoint of that guide suggests ultimately that you go the route of backup as opposed to system restore.

I hope you realize that "System Restore" is a misleading label and will not take your entire system back to precisely where it was when the RP was created - this point was made earlier in the thread.

Mine is another vote for relying more on a free (or paid) imaging program, a good example of which is Macrium Reflect.

You will want to use external storage to send system images to and it costs if you don't have it yet but there never has been such a thing as a free lunch.

Word Man, Oct 16, 2017
  14. Cerawy Win User
    Windows is still creating new restore points every time I install/uninstall a program, thus deleting my own restore points in the process. If anyone knows how to turn this off please let me know.

See post #19.

Cerawy, Oct 18, 2017
  15. Cerawy Win User
    I just tried installing this registry tweak, will see if it disables windows from creating system restore points without my permission.

Cerawy, Oct 23, 2017
Thema:

1. Windows randomly deletes restore points - Similar Threads - randomly deletes restore

2. Deleting Restore Points

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Deleting Restore Points: IHiIs it ok to delete the restored points and create new ones?THANK YOUTIMMY 2 TOES https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/deleting-restore-points/7d31b102-5043-403b-8d4a-ccb70760cc65
  3. Deleting Restore Points

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Deleting Restore Points: IHiIs it ok to delete the restored points and create new ones?THANK YOUTIMMY 2 TOES https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/deleting-restore-points/7d31b102-5043-403b-8d4a-ccb70760cc65
  4. Deleting Restore Points

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. System restore point deleted.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System restore point deleted.: Hello, so I created a restore point on my PC just a month ago and just I upgraded to Windows 11. After updating to Windows 11 I got some updates and I installed them but then I see that my Windows.old folder is deleted and I am stuck on Windows 11, so I went ahead and checked...
  6. Can't delete restore point

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't delete restore point: Friends,Strange problem.Restore points are deleted in a day or so after they are created. Have plenty of space allotted.One system image restore point from 7/9/21 remains and can't be deleted. I did replace a hard disc awhile back and cloned from an external drive if this...
  7. Random System Restore Points

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Random System Restore Points: Whenever I'm on Microsoft Edge and I leave for about maybe 3 or 4 minutes, I see a system restore point created and so I have to delete that randomly created restore point. Not sure if it was my laptop doing it or why it's doing it even though I leave it for only a few...
  8. Restore Points deleted

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Restore Points deleted: I like having restore points to deal with the periodic Microsoft Windows 10 glitches. I understand that for whatever unfathomable reason Microsoft has decided that we can't keep restore points for more than 90 days. I thought that the obvious workaround was to just to...
  9. Restore points being deleted

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Restore points being deleted: Hi folks, for reasons I can't explain my restore points keep getting deleted despite having System Protection turned on. I first notice the missing restore points earlier this week so I created a manual one and now it's gone too. There were no Windows updates to my PC...
  10. Restore points being deleted

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Restore points being deleted: Hi folks, for reasons I can't explain my restore points keep getting deleted despite having System Protection turned on. I first notice the missing restore points earlier this week so I created a manual one and now it's gone too. There were no Windows updates to my PC...