Windows 10: Windows randomly deletes restore points

Discus and support Windows randomly deletes restore points in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I just tried installing this registry tweak, will see if it disables windows from creating system restore points without my permission. Good Morning,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Cerawy, Sep 3, 2017.

1. f14tomcat Win User

Windows randomly deletes restore points

Good Morning, @Cerawy. You've been at this project for some time now. One question for you this morning. If you are trying to get Windows to stop creating Restore Points on it's own, why are you implementing a registry hack to create one at every startup? I'm only on 1st cup of coffee, so maybe I don't see the reason yet.

The title of the HTG article you quote where you are getting this tweak reads:
    How to Make Windows Automatically Create a System Restore Point at Startup

f14tomcat, Oct 23, 2017
  2. Cerawy Win User

Just found out today that windows has created nothing less than 9 system restore points with the same date, completely wiping out all the manual restore points that I made myself. So I now have 9 system restore points that are basically the same, and all the system restore points that I made are just gone like that. Absolutely ridicilious. I wanted to restore my computer to one of the system restore points that I made about a week ago but they are wiped out by windows.

You are right, discard this as a solution.

Cerawy, Nov 1, 2017
  3. f14tomcat Win User
    Where are you seeing these 9 restore points? Picture if you can.

f14tomcat, Nov 2, 2017
  4. Cerawy Win User

What bothers me is that windows is deleting my restore points and replacing them with restore points that doesn't work. I have tested the restore points that windows is creating, and they almost always come up with an error message. I am tempted to simply disable system at this point restore because its causing more problems than its solving.

They are listed in system protection, I don't have a screengrab right now though.

Cerawy, Jan 6, 2018
  5. Cerawy Win User
    I found a solution, stop using unreliable programs from windows and use aomei backup instead.

Cerawy, Jan 19, 2018
  6. reddice Win User
    I disabled System Restore since December and use Macrium Backup Free. It has already saved me from reinstalling five times already. Before that System Restore would delete restore points or fail and I had to reinstall anyway.

System Restore also uses about 10GB of useless restore points wearing out my SSD quicker.

reddice, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows randomly deletes restore points - Similar Threads - randomly deletes restore

2. Deleting Restore Points

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Deleting Restore Points: IHiIs it ok to delete the restored points and create new ones?THANK YOUTIMMY 2 TOES https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/deleting-restore-points/7d31b102-5043-403b-8d4a-ccb70760cc65
  3. Deleting Restore Points

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Deleting Restore Points: IHiIs it ok to delete the restored points and create new ones?THANK YOUTIMMY 2 TOES https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/deleting-restore-points/7d31b102-5043-403b-8d4a-ccb70760cc65
  4. Deleting Restore Points

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. System restore point deleted.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System restore point deleted.: Hello, so I created a restore point on my PC just a month ago and just I upgraded to Windows 11. After updating to Windows 11 I got some updates and I installed them but then I see that my Windows.old folder is deleted and I am stuck on Windows 11, so I went ahead and checked...
  6. Can't delete restore point

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't delete restore point: Friends,Strange problem.Restore points are deleted in a day or so after they are created. Have plenty of space allotted.One system image restore point from 7/9/21 remains and can't be deleted. I did replace a hard disc awhile back and cloned from an external drive if this...
  7. Random System Restore Points

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Random System Restore Points: Whenever I'm on Microsoft Edge and I leave for about maybe 3 or 4 minutes, I see a system restore point created and so I have to delete that randomly created restore point. Not sure if it was my laptop doing it or why it's doing it even though I leave it for only a few...
  8. Restore Points deleted

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Restore Points deleted: I like having restore points to deal with the periodic Microsoft Windows 10 glitches. I understand that for whatever unfathomable reason Microsoft has decided that we can't keep restore points for more than 90 days. I thought that the obvious workaround was to just to...
  9. Restore points being deleted

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Restore points being deleted: Hi folks, for reasons I can't explain my restore points keep getting deleted despite having System Protection turned on. I first notice the missing restore points earlier this week so I created a manual one and now it's gone too. There were no Windows updates to my PC...
  10. Restore points being deleted

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Restore points being deleted: Hi folks, for reasons I can't explain my restore points keep getting deleted despite having System Protection turned on. I first notice the missing restore points earlier this week so I created a manual one and now it's gone too. There were no Windows updates to my PC...