Windows 10: Windows rearrange themselves when I turn off/on monitors.

Discus and support Windows rearrange themselves when I turn off/on monitors. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Ever since I got my new monitor, a BenQ XL2540, my windows keep rearranging themselves. First, everything moved to my main monitor, not so bad, yet... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ATLW, Jul 6, 2017.

1. ATLW Win User

Windows rearrange themselves when I turn off/on monitors.

Ever since I got my new monitor, a BenQ XL2540, my windows keep rearranging themselves.
    First, everything moved to my main monitor, not so bad, yet annoying.
    But, I moved my PC + changed a cable on my 2nd monitor (a normal DVI cable, was a dual link), and now everytime i turn my monitors off/on, all my windows move over to that monitor, which is extremely annoying.

I tried to google it, but found nought.
    I hope someone here has some answers.

[2nd Monitor]---[Main Monitor]
    DVI ---------------Display Port

:)

ATLW, Jul 6, 2017
  2. NorbWitt Win User

Desktop Icons

Apparently no one in the community knows how to fix the problem. I have found that the icons are arranged by "SORTING BY SIZE" even when NONE of the sort options on view are checked. Does know how to turn off all sort options in Windows 10??? I have tried
    turning them on and off a number of times, but the icons still rearrange themselves to the left. I have auto arrange turned off.

NorbWitt, Jul 6, 2017
  3. Pbshiver Win User
    WINDOWS 10 Desktop icons rearrange when monitor turns off/on (ONE MONITOR)

I have a problem where my icons keep rearranging to the left side of the screen every time I turn my monitor off/on again. I was wondering if anybody had an idea of what to do as other answers I found were for icons rearranging when the computer turns on/off
    which ISN'T the problem, or when someone had 2 monitors. First, a little information on my configurations and computer.

• I DO NOT have auto arrange on
    • I have an Acer monitor connected through DVI. I use the power button on the monitor to turn it off.
    • I have Windows 10 Home Edition with an AMD Radeon R9 380 graphics card
    • Keep in mind that this problem happens with ONE MONITOR. I don't need solutions for if I had 2
    • I do not nor have ever had ESET, so solutions for that won't work
    • I would not like third party programs please
    • Remember, this only happens when I turn my monitor on/off

Pbshiver, Jul 6, 2017
  4. ATLW Win User

Bah, no one knows anything? Damn.

ATLW, Jul 9, 2017
  5. My problem is similar. I have 2 external monitors ad my laptop display. Physically my laptop is on my left, a Dell monitor is center and a HP monitor on the right. On Friday, the Dell was the main display with the laptop display and the HP extended displays. This morning, after having the laptop asleep over the weekend, the configuration is completely different.
    I received this laptop two weeks ago. Previously I had a Mac. This problem has occurred since day 1.

cookieburk, Jul 9, 2017
  6. pyramid10 Win User
    Welcome to the Forum.

Generally speaking, it depends on how the Display Settings are configured; i.e. which display is #1, #2, and which is the main(!).

And because the motherboard and the OS might not agree on which designation is which, there is a bit of trial and error to get it to configure correctly to one's liking.

pyramid10, Jul 10, 2017
  7. ATLW Win User
    My main monitor is also monitor #1
    my secondary monitor is #3, and my TV is #2.

Still, all windows migrate to my secondary (Monitor #3) whenever I turn off my monitors.

8. Windows rearrange themselves when I turn off/on monitors.

Thanks for the suggestions!

In System-> Display -> Customize your display, the monitors show as 3, 2, 1. Identify shows them as 1, 2, 3. The cursor movement follows the 3, 2, 1 alignment. When I drag and drop the order of the monitors in customize display, either nothing happens or the display order changes but then changes randomly when I wake up the laptop.

If the motherboard thinks the monitors are in a different order, will changing the order of the monitor cables into my docking station help?

Thanks again.

cookieburk, Jul 10, 2017
  9. EdTittel Win User
    Try this free program: Dual Monitor Tools. It will let you position Windows where you want them, and remember the monitor and placement thereupon for you across restarts/reboots. Works for me, so should also work for you (hopefully).
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Jul 11, 2017
  10. Ed,

Thanks for the info. I tried the web page. It is blocked by my federal agency. I'll try it at home.

Cookie

cookieburk, Jul 11, 2017
  11. EdTittel Win User
    You're welcome. Hope you find it useful once you have the chance to try it out.
    Best wishes for a successful resolution to your situation.
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Jul 13, 2017
  12. Changing the ports where the cables were plugged seems to have resolved the problem. Thanks to everyone for your help. Rearranging the monitor cables would never have occurred to me.

Cookie

cookieburk, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows rearrange themselves when I turn off/on monitors. - Similar Threads - rearrange themselves turn

2. monitors are turning off when gaming

in Windows 10 Gaming
    monitors are turning off when gaming: everytime i play something it cause my monitors to turn off after some time and i dont know whyI`ve already changed my PSU and cpu cooler to a water cooling system and the problem still existI was also testing my temps and my cpu has 84* max when gpu is 80*so im really...
  3. monitors are turning off when gaming

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    monitors are turning off when gaming: everytime i play something it cause my monitors to turn off after some time and i dont know whyI`ve already changed my PSU and cpu cooler to a water cooling system and the problem still existI was also testing my temps and my cpu has 84* max when gpu is 80*so im really...
  4. Icons rearranging themselves on Windows 10 after changing monitor.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Icons rearranging themselves on Windows 10 after changing monitor.: Hi everyone. I recently got a new monitor that upgraded from the resolution 1680 x 1050 to 1920x1080. The problem I'm having is that the icons seem to be stuck in the old resolution. Whenever I change my icons' locations, they always reset after a restart. I've configured...
  5. Webcam Turning off when monitor turns off

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Webcam Turning off when monitor turns off: Hello, I am trying to record video from my webcam while my monitor is turned off but everytime i turn off my monitor, the webcam turns off aswell. How do I fix this issue?...
  6. Startup Apps Turn Themselves Back On When I Turn Them Off

in Windows 10 Customization
    Startup Apps Turn Themselves Back On When I Turn Them Off: Hello, I seem to be having an issue with turning my startup apps off. In particular its CCXProcess, Creative Cloud Desktop, and Vanguard Tray Notification. I switch them off but then if I click on another setting tab or close settings and come back they've turned themselves...
  7. Windows 10 rearranges and resizes open windows after I turn off my monitor

Windows 10 rearranges and resizes open windows after I turn off my monitor: Hi I have seen this question posted earlier, but all the suggestions that were helpful to the other users don´t work for me. I have a nvidia graphics card, which is connected to 2 monitors, one is 32:10 with a 5120x1440 resolution, and the other is 16:9 with a 3840x2160...
  8. rezizing of windows when turning off and on monitors

rezizing of windows when turning off and on monitors: hello world when i turn on my screens in the morning it rezizes my windows and programs, even relocate them into my second screen or vice versa. i suspect its my monitors. at home that never happens. on mac it never happened. is the problem hardware related or can it me...
  9. Monitors keep turning themselves back on

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Monitors keep turning themselves back on: Hi guys. I have an issue where my monitors keep turning themselves back on. I've scoured google (or more accurately ddg) and I've found little in the form of a solution. I hear tale that xbox 360 USB controllers cause monitors to turn back on, and I do plug mine in for...
  10. Start menu icons rearrange themselves

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu icons rearrange themselves: Hello, I hope someone has any idea what is happening any possibly why. My start menu icons every now and then rearrange themselves. They go from small to medium size, and groups resolve. Then I do the tedious work of arranging everything and then without a single...