Windows 10: Windows reset everything - Start menu - audio - etc?

Discus and support Windows reset everything - Start menu - audio - etc? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; My sons PC has just been having odd issues... this is the newest. Booted.... it got to the lock screen (kind of) - and had the power icon in the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by StaticFX, Jul 14, 2016.

1. StaticFX Win User

Windows reset everything - Start menu - audio - etc?

My sons PC has just been having odd issues... this is the newest.
    Booted.... it got to the lock screen (kind of) - and had the power icon in the corner. We chose restart
    Seemed fine... start chrome. Froze
    Force restart... start chrome. Froze.... ok chrome is messed up
    Force restart... uninstall chrome - kill the settings file... re-install ok.
    Start menu is missing some stuff?
    Popup states drive error, restart...
    restart... boots fine. chrome works... but the start menu is empty. like EMPTY of all the things he had in it.
    Only shows ALL APPS, and Power, and 2 blocks (for windows store and edge)
    He starts discord... audio settings are gone. He has to re-pick the devices.

Thats all we have found so far... im stumped as to what is going on?

on a side note, anyone have USB 3.0 issues with Gigabyte 990fxA-ud3?
    Thanks!

:)

StaticFX, Jul 14, 2016

2. "Windows audio" service crushes every 1-2 hours (windows 10)

Hi, for some reason "windows audio" service crashes every 1-2 hours (windows 10). At the same time the "Start" menu becomes unavailable.

The drivers for sound card are updated. On Windows 8.1 everything was working perfectly, what's the issue?

Foster_777, Jul 14, 2016
  3. No audio output device after retting windows 10

Hello,

I had to reset my windows 10 laptop to fix a non-functional windows start button after everything else had failed. Now I have a "no audio output device installed" message meaning the speakers and even headphones don't work. pleas. These were perfectly functional prior
    to the reset.

Please advise.

EdwardSomoye, Jul 14, 2016
  4. philc43 Win User

philc43, Jul 17, 2016
  5. StaticFX Win User
    Yeah i will pass on that unless really needed. I just did a fresh install about a month ago on his system.. he has had weird issues since we got his computer. I have been using Win10 since launch and have had very few issues... his system has been plagued.
    Freezes, stutters, USB issues, etc.. The only major difference between our pc's is that his is an AMD build, mine is Intel.

StaticFX, Jul 17, 2016
  6. philc43 Win User
    OK. Driver problems of the graphics card or motherboard are usually to blame but also the manufacturers can provide a lot of bloatware some of which can also cause problems. I would remove anything that is not essential and then try troubleshooting with a clean boot process and if you can get it to start properly then gradually add back in the various services and startup items until you find the one that causes the problem.

If nothing works then you are back to the method I originally suggested, it is usually the answer and the bonus is that by following that method you do not lose any of your programs or files.

philc43, Jul 17, 2016
  7. StaticFX Win User
    Clean install was done - its Custom built pc (I won it actually) so it has nothing extra.
    He has only installed a few games on it, and a few things like Razer Synapse.
    I have updated the drivers for both the GPU and USB (Tried windows USB drivers and Gigabyte's USB drivers - its 3.0 only issue.)
    It starts fine... its just keeps having odd issues - strangest is the usb 3.0 ports just dont work. Plug an xbox controller in, it works for about 20 seconds then stops. Headset, works... then freezes the pc up when something stops using the headset (like closing skype)
    ALl of this is on a FRESH full wipe clean install of windows 10. Motherboard Bios is updated too... The guy that built it said he has heard of a usb 3.0 issue but i cant find anything.

StaticFX, Jul 17, 2016
  8. ARC
    Arc Win User

Please let us know the source of the drivers you installed. Was it the driver CD that came with the motherboard, or was it windows updates that configured the drivers?

9. StaticFX Win User
    StaticFX, Jul 17, 2016
  10. ARC
    Arc Win User
    You should have stayed with the drivers provided by windows. They work the best and almost never fail. Windows 10 is very driver efficient.

If I have been in your place, I would have performed a Run and Install Windows Updates to get all the drivers.

If that is a bit time consuming, I would suggest you do the same.

If the issue still persists, we may check it in depth.

11. StaticFX Win User
    but I did that.. I ran clean windows with updated drivers for a few weeks. It does the same thing... Im starting to wonder if there is something wrong with the motherboard.

StaticFX, Jul 17, 2016
  12. ARC
    Arc Win User
    If you think so, and if the motherboard is within warranty, try to get a replacement. You can try to RMA it.

Otherwise, a long series of actions will be involved before blaming the motherboard, because the board cannot be tested itself.

13. Berton Win User

As much as one would like to do that it probably would be better to RMA it [LOL]. Return Merchandise Authorization, frequently used for returning defective items.

I have Win10 as an Upgrade from Win7 and another Upgraded from Win8.1, both are Gigabyte boards with AMD AM CPUs about 6 years old. One has a Quad-core CPU and the other is a 3-core CPU. The main thing different from the question is they do not have onboard graphics/video adapters, both have Add-in ATI Radeon PCIe X16 cards. They have been quite stable.

Berton, Jul 17, 2016
  14. StaticFX Win User
    no USB Issuse?? hmmmm good to know

StaticFX, Jul 17, 2016
  15. Berton Win User
    One computer has USB 3.0 support and the other has only USB 2.0 support. I have added a PCIe X1 card to the second one to get USB 3.0 ports, cheaper than a new motherboard. For ease of access both computers have a USB 3.0 Hub mounted in a drive bay just under the ODD/Optical Disc Drive.

Berton, Jul 17, 2016
Thema:

1. Windows reset everything - Start menu - audio - etc? - Similar Threads - reset everything Start

2. Google Chrome/Start Menu etc. not opening

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Google Chrome/Start Menu etc. not opening: Hi guys,We are running Windows Server 2016 Standard. I have a problem that Google Chrome and any browser other than Internet Explorer cannot open. When I click, nothing happens.Same thing with Start Menu. I suppose if we fix Start menu, it will fix the rest of the...
  3. Google Chrome/Start Menu etc. not opening

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Google Chrome/Start Menu etc. not opening: Hi guys,We are running Windows Server 2016 Standard. I have a problem that Google Chrome and any browser other than Internet Explorer cannot open. When I click, nothing happens.Same thing with Start Menu. I suppose if we fix Start menu, it will fix the rest of the...
  4. 20H2 Upgrade - Start Menu Colors etc

in Windows 10 Customization
    20H2 Upgrade - Start Menu Colors etc: The "upgrade" to 20H2 has changed all the colors of the start menu, Tab line color and taskbar color. How do I get it back to Windows standard colors that I had before: Start, produced a dark blue screen Taskbar was dark (black) Nothing seems to work - Help (and why do M/s...
  5. Windows 20H2 issues with Start Menu etc,

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 20H2 issues with Start Menu etc,: Since upgrading to 20H2 from 1903, I have been having trouble with things, I can't find any results on fixes anywhere. Firstly, my Start menu seems to become very buggy, If I click it to open a program for example Gyazo and while Gyazo will open, theStart menu stays open...
  6. Reset Start menu to default

Reset Start menu to default: I have just set up a new laptop and for some reason the start menu has corrupted. The programs no longer line up in a column but are in the centre of the screen in several columns. I read up about changing the TileDataLayer but cannot find this now in Widows 10 even in hidden...
  7. My Desktop, Start Menu, Etc.

My Desktop, Start Menu, Etc.: Well, Microsoft finally did it. It had to happen but I can't believe the stupidity in their move. My machine is so messed up, as of July 6, 2019, that anything I place on the Desktop will NOT stay after a restart. Games will NOT start from the Start menu at any time. And,...
  8. Windows 10 Start Menu Reset

Windows 10 Start Menu Reset: Hello, I've just installed the win 10 fall updates (version 1809). Now, whenever I reboot, windows restores the default start menu apps and icons, eliminating my customizations. Why is this happening? What can I do to stop it? How can I backup my start menu after I finish...
  9. Windows 10 Start Menu Reset

Windows 10 Start Menu Reset: Hello, I've just installed the win 10 fall updates (version 1809). Now, whenever I reboot, windows restores the default start menu apps and icons, eliminating my customizations. A) Why is this happening? B) What can I do to stop it? C) How can I backup my start menu after...
  10. no access to 'start menu' etc

no access to 'start menu' etc: im on insider preview of windows home - build 17692.rs_prerelease_flt.180625-1624 i have lost access to start menu and the notifications shortcut. when i attempt to run programs i receive error messages. i have lost quite a bit of functionality on my system (including...