Windows 10: Windows Restore to a Seagate 2TB BarraCuda HD not working

Discus and support Windows Restore to a Seagate 2TB BarraCuda HD not working in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I have a Windows 10 system with 2 internal hard drives C: (250 GB) and E: (500 GB) that I use as my primary system. I also have a backup / mirror... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by PhoenixRising, Dec 9, 2017.

1. Windows Restore to a Seagate 2TB BarraCuda HD not working

I have a Windows 10 system with 2 internal hard drives C: (250 GB) and E: (500 GB) that I use as my primary system. I also have a backup / mirror system in case I have an issue with the primary system, I use Windows Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Backup and Restore (Windows 7) to create a system image of my primary system, including both the C: and E: hard drives. I then restore this image including C: and E: to my mirror system and everything is ready in the event my primary system goes down.

Everything was working fine until I installed a new Seagate 2TB BarraCuda HD as the E: drive in my mirror system. Now when I restore the image to the mirror system Windows restore only restores the C: drive, It acts as if it can not see the second Seagate 2TB drive and doesn't give me the option to restore that part of the image (E: Drive). Any Ideas why? Could there be a problem with Windows restore recognizing a 2TB hard drive?

:)

PhoenixRising, Dec 9, 2017
  2. tLocust Win User

Windows 10 update not working

I can't update Windows 10. I have tried repeatedly, but to no avail. Windows 10 Update Assistant displays that the latest version is 14393, but I am stuck on version 10586. How can I fix this?

PC specs:

AMD FX-8320 OC@ 4.00Ghz

16GB Corsair DDR3 RAM

AMD XFX R9 290X

Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3

1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD (where Windows is installed)

2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD

tLocust, Dec 9, 2017
  3. davek86 Win User
    HDD shows in BIOS but not on system

New built computer, Win10, Hero7mobo, 4790K, Samsung 500Gb SSD, Seagate Barracuda 2Tb.

Computer runs fine and is booting from SSD but 2Tb does not show thru settings or control panel.

When started in BIOS 2Tb drive show up.

How can I initialize or format it from BIOS or if it doesn't show in Win10 ?

davek86, Dec 9, 2017
  4. Mooly Win User

Windows Restore to a Seagate 2TB BarraCuda HD not working

Probably not much help but anyway...... have a read here:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com...w7itprogeneral

I know what the following answers will be (lol) use Macrium or some other imaging program.

I've always championed Windows own utility but this is something I think you need to be sat in front of to suss out.

Is putting the old drive back and making a quick copy with another program an option ? Then restore that newly made image back.

Mooly, Dec 9, 2017
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    Microsoft is depreciating the built in system image function and recommending that users move to third party programs for system image backups.

Now might be a good time to move to something like Macrium Reflect Free:
    Macrium Software | Macrium Reflect Free

NavyLCDR, Dec 9, 2017
  6. Hello NavyLCDR. Do you have any links that can give a definitive answer to any hint of when the built in system image function will no longer be a part of the OS?

EyeInTheSky, Dec 9, 2017
  7. Mooly Win User
    I don't think anybody knows for sure. It was mentioned a while ago that Backup and Restore might not make it to the Creators Fall edition (and it did) and the same went for File History.

Because of the uncertainty I made the switch from the Windows utilities to AOMEI which has proved a sound move in practice.

Mooly, Dec 10, 2017
  8. SIW2 Win User

You can use wbadmin command line to restore the image.

9. Hi Thanks for the Input. Considering the Comments my issues are really a result of using a non-supported Backup system (ie: Windows 7 Backup and Restore ) and it's interaction with newer larger hard drives. So it is time to change!

I just tried Macrium Reflect Free and it worked perfect for my purposes, so I ma going with that software --- Thanks again.

PhoenixRising, Dec 10, 2017
  10. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there
    Don't forget to test RESTORE as well if it's the first time you've used it.

Macrium is used by loads of people on this Forum so it should be OK but if you've never used it before you want to be sure restore is also 100% reliable --I've seen loads of cases where people get what seems a successful backup and then on restore there's Disk I/O or other error !!!! (fortunately not normally from Macrium).

So if you have a safe working OLD backup system restore your current system after imaging it with Macrium. If it fails restore from your legacy system.

Chances are Restore will probably be OK but I'd test it rather than find out something is wrong when I really need the restore.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Dec 10, 2017
  11. SIW2 Win User
    It is not clear to me what MS means by this:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...t-policy-for-4k-sector-hard-drives-in-windows

Yet further down the page, it says:

If , as they appear to claim, windows Backup ( in win 8) works with native 4k. Presumably, windows backup ( in win 10 ) should also work with native 4k.

12. reddice Win User
    I agree Macrium Reflect Free is the best. I did not believe all the hype here until I started to use it. It already saved me from reinstalling Windows 10 three times already. Before that I used System Restore and when it failed I had to do a repair install.

reddice, Dec 10, 2017
  13. RolandJS Win User

+1 on the idea of testing restore! Using, over the years, ATI2016, Macrium Reflect, Image for Windows -- I've restored, over the years, using them consecutively.

RolandJS, Dec 11, 2017
  14. Jimbo45 Thanks for the heads up on Macrium Reflect Free, I tried the full backup and restore and it worked great -- all ready for the next catastrophe *Smile*Smile

PhoenixRising, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows Restore to a Seagate 2TB BarraCuda HD not working - Similar Threads - Restore Seagate 2TB

2. Issues with Seagate 2tb Ultraslim HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Issues with Seagate 2tb Ultraslim HDD: Hi everyone. I am running Win 11 on an Acer Nitro AN515-55 I have a Seagate 2TB UltraSlim external hard drive. Last November my laptop started to update without my knowledge and froze. I rebooted and the laptop was stuck in boot. I realized the external hard drive was still...
  3. Issues with Seagate 2tb Ultraslim HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Issues with Seagate 2tb Ultraslim HDD: Hi everyone. I am running Win 11 on an Acer Nitro AN515-55 I have a Seagate 2TB UltraSlim external hard drive. Last November my laptop started to update without my knowledge and froze. I rebooted and the laptop was stuck in boot. I realized the external hard drive was still...
  4. Seagate Barracuda drive beeping (worry or don't worry)

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Seagate Barracuda drive beeping (worry or don't worry): As I was getting ready to move my setup to an SSD/HDD system, I got a new seagate barracuda 2 TB HDD (Model # ST2000DM008) from ebay (new, not open box used/seller refurbished, new), was slightly amazed at how small it was compated to my older ST2000DM006 model, but that's...
  5. Temperature for Seagate 2TB HDD ?

Temperature for Seagate 2TB HDD ?: Hi So i'm using a Seagate 2TB SATA 3 with 7200 RPM hard drive and just wanted to know what are the normal temps for it ? When in idle the HDD's temp is 42'C and when gaming it goes up to 55'C. If anyone has some info on this i'd greatly appreciate it because i don't know...
  6. How to delete EFI system partition from Seagate 2TB external HD

How to delete EFI system partition from Seagate 2TB external HD: I have a Seagate 2TB external Hard Drive almost completely full of movies/videos. A friend asked if they could borrow it to view some movies on their MAC but returned it as it did not show up on their computer. I plugged it back into my PC laptop and discovered that it was...
  7. How to delete EFI system partition from Seagate 2TB external HD

in Windows 10 Support
    How to delete EFI system partition from Seagate 2TB external HD: I have a Seagate 2TB external Hard Drive almost completely full of movies/videos. A friend asked if they could borrow it to view some movies on their MAC but returned it as it did not show up on their computer. I plugged it back into my PC laptop and discovered that it was...
  8. Seagate 2tb external drive

Seagate 2tb external drive: Bought a new usb cord since it kept randomly disconnecting the drive. It shows up in device management and on disk drives yet it says it cant initialize and wont show how much memory has been used or is available in volumes I dont know what to do...
  9. What are the steps to Installing Windows 10 on a Seagate Hybrid 2TB HD with SSHD;

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    What are the steps to Installing Windows 10 on a Seagate Hybrid 2TB HD with SSHD;: What are the specific steps for a new Winddows 10 install on a Hybrid 2 TB HD with 256 GB SSHD? What files should be loaded into the SSHD? And when in the process? Original HD is still functioning but due to upgrade from Win 7 Win 8, Win 8.1 and Win 10 the HD has multiple...
  10. Seagate Barracuda 3GB no longer being properly recognised, and beeping

Seagate Barracuda 3GB no longer being properly recognised, and beeping: I have a Seagate External HDD, srd00f2, that until yesterday was working perfectly. I can not think of anything that has changed, other than that the drive is no longer being recognised by Windows, and is beeping when connected. I have already tried a number of things, and...