Windows 10: Windows running slowly in specific situations

Discus and support Windows running slowly in specific situations in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Over the last few days (since maybe Thursday but definitely Friday) my Win10 machine has been running slowly in certain situations. The programs... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by BlackOwl, Aug 13, 2017.

1. BlackOwl Win User

Windows running slowly in specific situations

Over the last few days (since maybe Thursday but definitely Friday) my Win10 machine has been running slowly in certain situations. The programs iTunes, GSAK, and Unreal Tournament 2004 run slowly in general, much slower than my new hardware has been able to output since I bought it less than two months ago. Other programs are substantially slower than normal to load, but act quite fine once they've been loaded (Sid Meier's Civilization V and Overwatch are two notable exmaples - they take up to six times longer to load than they did this time last week). The change was sudden but not noticeable straightaway.

One further change I've noticed is that whenever I go to shut down or reboot the computer, it tells me it's "Getting Windows ready" despite there being no updates to my knowledge. It tends to hang on that screen for some time before it actually shuts down or reboots - I'm not sure how long it takes as I often lose patience and go and do something else, but it's more than expected.

Steps I've already tried:
    • rebooting
    • antivirus scan
    • uninstalling programs I've installed within the last week
    • rolling back Windows updates (which I've found to be basically impossible)
    • cleaning up the fullest hard drive (I've more than doubled the free space on it)
    • updating my video card drivers
    • defragging all three hard drives

Any ideas?

:)

BlackOwl, Aug 13, 2017
  2. BulldogXX Win User

system and reserve problem

Computers don't run slowly because of the hard drive. They run slowly because of memory (aka RAM.) Specifically, you have too many programs running for the amount of RAM in your computer. The solution is to close programs that don't need to run.

BulldogXX, Aug 13, 2017
  3. Applications are running slowly in user account in windows 10

Hi,

For us to better assist you with you issue slow apps, we'd like to ask a few questions.

• Have you made any updates or changes to your computer before experiencing this issue?
    • When did you start experiencing this issue?
    • Which version and OS build number of Windows 10 is currently installed?

To determine the version and OS build number of Windows, type winver in the search bar of Start menu.

Looking forward to your response.

Reymichael Ros, Aug 13, 2017
  4. Tony K Win User
  5. BlackOwl Win User
    This evening, the computer started throwing BSODs that said "DRIVER_VERIFIER_DETECTED_VIOLATION". This message fell to a quick Google search and I discovered that the Driver Verifier program was running when it shouldn't have been. This was my fault. I have disabled Driver Verifier and my system is now running effectively again.

BlackOwl, Aug 13, 2017
  6. Helmut Win User
    It sounds like the PreFetch and SuperPrefetch files being deleted by some cleaning/snake oil application.
    Then when you startup Windows has to remake those again.

The whole purpose of those files is to speed up the loading of applications. Windows does occasionally re-make those on it's own schedule.

When you install something those files are made on first starting the application. If you close the application and re-start it's much quicker than the first time in a session.

"cleaning up the fullest hard drive (I've more than doubled the free space on it)"
    That I suspect is the cause of it, the cleaning/snake oil application deleting those PreFetch files, possibly on shut down/restart - look in to that.

Helmut, Aug 13, 2017
  7. BlackOwl Win User
    I just posted saying the problem has been solved.

BlackOwl, Aug 13, 2017
  8. Tony K Win User

Thanks for posting your good results, BlackOwl. You may want to mark this thread solved. Best of computing to you. *Smile

Tony K, Aug 13, 2017
  9. Delphia4 Win User
    I have had the same my computer was getting slower day by day. Then I installed kaspersky onto my PC and scan my all drive. Now it's okey so far.

Delphia4, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows running slowly in specific situations - Similar Threads - running slowly specific

2. Programs run slowly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Programs run slowly: I have a window 7 ,14 years from now , Because Microsoft ended the support from windows 7 and programs very slow, glitches,and won't run smoothly,I decided to upgrade it to windows 10..I'm very glad because it run now smoothly,New UI,and more features.But after a week on...
  3. Windows 11 Running Slowly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Running Slowly: Hello Gals and Guys - I recently upgraded my PC to Windows 11, but it's been running poorly. Specifically, sometimes, not always, certain programs will open slowly like if I click on them, it's like i didn't cause it hangs for a minuteit seems like a minute before it finally...
  4. Windows 11 Running Slowly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Running Slowly: Hello Gals and Guys - I recently upgraded my PC to Windows 11, but it's been running poorly. Specifically, sometimes, not always, certain programs will open slowly like if I click on them, it's like i didn't cause it hangs for a minuteit seems like a minute before it finally...
  5. Will Windows run slowly if in a VM?

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Will Windows run slowly if in a VM?: Hey, so I was thinking about switching my main OS to Ubuntu so I could get my foot in the door with linux and start experimenting around with it a bunch. However, I know if I do that a lot of games will be unavailable to me because they require Windows. That being said, I was...
  6. Insert key not working in specific situations

in Windows 10 Support
    Insert key not working in specific situations: For the first time, I have needed to use the Insert key on my laptop, but I have discovered that it doesn't work when I need it to work. To be more specific, it doesn't work when I try to use it in Freeplane or Freemind (in both of which it causes a new child node to be...
  7. Windows running slowly

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows running slowly: So to start off my computer has 16 GB of ram, Intel i5-7500 4 core processor (and a GTX 1060, if that changes anything) but yet windows runs very slowly. Sometimes it’ll take up to 20 seconds to just get a response from pressing the windows key, and I find it very annoying....
  8. Windows 10 is running slowly

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 is running slowly: Windows 10 runs sooo slowly. Is there anyone who can help with instructions for 2019? I've checked the community but all the links for the same problem are for windows 8 or are too old to be relevant. Microsoft jargon is not plain English and for those of us with a brain yet...
  9. Laptop running slowly

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Laptop running slowly: My laptop is getting very slow. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/laptop-running-slowly/7dd93db5-2ab3-44fa-ae5b-d3239eb003a9
  10. Windows Explorer running slowly

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows Explorer running slowly: My partner's computer is having a problem with Windows Explorer running slowly and poorly. It's been happening for nearly a month, she ascribes the timing of symptoms beginning to show to the same time she installed some new software. I'm not totally convinced as I've had a...