Windows 10: Windows saving as jpeg instead of jpg

Discus and support Windows saving as jpeg instead of jpg in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Not sure if this is a windows problem or not but I've tried everything with my browsers to resolve this. Whenever i save an image in firefox and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Fitzy, Jul 17, 2016.

1. Fitzy Win User

Windows saving as jpeg instead of jpg

Not sure if this is a windows problem or not but I've tried everything with my browsers to resolve this.

Whenever i save an image in firefox and chrome the save file type is greyed out and the images are always saved as jpeg instead of the native jpg and my embroidery software doesnt find/display jpeg's, i know i can convert them to jpg's with irfanview but this is a bit laborious. O've googled to im blue in the face and can't find a soloution for the the browsers.

This only happens on my laptop and not on my main pc.

Any ideas guys?

Cheers

Dave

:)

Fitzy, Jul 17, 2016

2. Screen

How did you save it as a .doc file ?

File/ Save as...

Instead of opening word

Open paint and paste from it and use file/ save as jpeg or jpg.

ThrashZone, Jul 17, 2016
  3. change .jpg files to .jpeg files

A .jpg and .jpeg are the same file format. The only reason there are two different suffixes is because when they first came out some programs producing these files used the .jpg and others used .jpeg.

Paint uses the .jpg when it saves a JPEG file.

You can rename them to .jpeg if you like.

A_User_Here, Jul 17, 2016
  4. Berton Win User

Actually, I've not had to convert from .jpeg to .jpg, just rename the file using the .jpg extension. Both extensions tend to show as the same type when using Save As. Most times images get downloaded as .png types.

Berton, Jul 17, 2016
  5. Fitzy Win User
    That's the problem too, only the image name is showing and not the file extension.

Fitzy, Jul 17, 2016
  6. strollin Win User
    If your embroidery software can't find a file with the jpeg extension, it's very poorly written. jpg and jpeg are the exact same file. As pointed out, there is no need to convert them, they simply need to be renamed.

Here's a batch file that will do the renaming for you. Copy the text between the CODE tags below into a text file and name it something like jpg.bat. Put it in the folder where you download the jpeg files. After downloading, simply open File Explorer and find the jpg.bat and double-click on it and it will rename all the jpeg files to jpg files.

Code: @echo off rename *.jpeg *.jpg[/quote]
    That's because, by default, Windows hides file extensions in File Explorer. In File Explorer, on the View ribbon, put a check mark in the File name extensions checkbox.

strollin, Jul 17, 2016
  7. LMiller7 Win User
    jpeg and jpg are the same file format, just with a different name. The reason is historic. The file format was originally designed for the Mac which allows extensions of more than 3 characters. When ported to Windows the extension was changed to jpg because early versions allowed a maximum of 3 characters. Most programs accept both.

LMiller7, Jul 17, 2016
  8. Fitzy Win User

The software does read jpegs, just not on my laptop. The firefox mimetype.rda file doesn't even contain the parameter to change from jpeg to jpg, was told to change this on another post. The MIME string isn't even in my registry.

Fitzy, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows saving as jpeg instead of jpg - Similar Threads - saving jpeg instead

2. JPG/JPEG files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    JPG/JPEG files: I upgraded from 10 to 11 in June. Upgrade seemed to go fine. Now I have noticed all my JPG/JPEG files are Adobe files. When I try to save an email attachment from Outlook it converts the JPG files to Adobe. Is there a setting I need to change?Seems to be happening for email...
  3. JPG/JPEG files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    JPG/JPEG files: I upgraded from 10 to 11 in June. Upgrade seemed to go fine. Now I have noticed all my JPG/JPEG files are Adobe files. When I try to save an email attachment from Outlook it converts the JPG files to Adobe. Is there a setting I need to change?Seems to be happening for email...
  4. All Browsers Suddenly Save All Images from All Sources as .jfif instead of .jpeg or .jpg

in Windows 10 Gaming
    All Browsers Suddenly Save All Images from All Sources as .jfif instead of .jpeg or .jpg: Suddenly, on my computer but not my wife's, every one of my browsers Edge, Chrome and Brave is giving me the option to save pictures in only the jfif format. Jpeg or jpg is not being offered. I've seen various threads about this and how the behavior can be reverted to...
  5. All Browsers Suddenly Save All Images from All Sources as .jfif instead of .jpeg or .jpg

All Browsers Suddenly Save All Images from All Sources as .jfif instead of .jpeg or .jpg: Suddenly, on my computer but not my wife's, every one of my browsers Edge, Chrome and Brave is giving me the option to save pictures in only the jfif format. Jpeg or jpg is not being offered. I've seen various threads about this and how the behavior can be reverted to...
  6. All Browsers Suddenly Save All Images from All Sources as .jfif instead of .jpeg or .jpg

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. how to change .jpeg to .jpg

how to change .jpeg to .jpg: how to change .jpeg to .jpg https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-change-jpeg-to-jpg/f09c66eb-489b-4c86-b218-fb3f66e6a86c
  8. Windows 10 and .jpg/jpeg images

Windows 10 and .jpg/jpeg images: I am having problems with pulling a .jpg/jpeg image into my Janome Digitizer Embroidery program. All answers to the problem that I have read says to reset Microsoft Photo App. It mentions that "app data will be gone" or something to that effect. Does this mean I will lose...
  9. photos saved as webpage instead of .jpg

photos saved as webpage instead of .jpg: Lately when I open an attached photo from my phone it won't let me hit file, save as. They are going to my google drive. How do I change this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/photos-saved-as-webpage-instead-of-jpg/2454f0bb-c96b-4db5-beb6-3b22bcbd1eb6"
  10. Excel JPEG to jpg

in Windows 10 Support
    Excel JPEG to jpg: Windows 10 Home. I am wanting to rename and number about 30 photos sent by a friend. I have never had any difficulty doing this: just bag them up, name the first one, Enter, and they are all named and numbered. This time I am getting two number ones, two number twos and so...