Windows 10: Windows Search and/or Indexing Broken

Discus and support Windows Search and/or Indexing Broken in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, I recently upgraded to Windows 10 and have encountered an interesting problem. I realized it initially when I would press start and begin to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by moromis, Sep 2, 2015.

1. moromis Win User

Windows Search and/or Indexing Broken

Hi,

I recently upgraded to Windows 10 and have encountered an interesting problem. I realized it initially when I would press start and begin to type a program's name in order to run it, as I was doing with Windows 7, but it would not find any results and would prompt me to Google the program. I found it strange but didn't think much of it.

Once I started looking into the issue, I noticed when I go to Indexing Options it says "Indexing is not running." When trying to rebuild indexing, it gives the message about how it will take a while, and then does nothing. So I decided to look into Windows Search.

Windows Search is not and will not run. First: If I go to services.msc and try to start the Windows Search service, it tells me that "The Windows Search service on Local Computer started and then stopped. Some services stop automatically if they are not in use by other services or programs."

So I tried through an elevated cmd prompt: "net start wsearch" gives me error 15:

"C:\WINDOWS\system32>net start wsearch
    The Windows Search service is starting..
    The Windows Search service could not be started.

A system error has occurred.

System error 15 has occurred.

The system cannot find the drive specified."

Finally, and perhaps the strangest thing, one post told me to go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows Search \ SetupCompletedSuccessfully and change the value to 0. However, the only thing in the registry under Windows Search is a Preferences folder. There are no keys there. So to me it looks as though Windows Search does not currently exist on my computer.

So of course I run sfc /scannow. Unfortunately, it tells me:

C:\WINDOWS\system32>sfc /scannow

Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
    Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some
    of them. Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For
    example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. Note that logging is currently not
    supported in offline servicing scenarios.

Any help would be appreciated.

:)

moromis, Sep 2, 2015

2. Major problems after Anniversary Update

Type Indexing in Start search, open Indexing options. Under Advanced tab edit the locations you want indexed for fast search. Then choose Rebuild Index. This may take awhile I'd give it exclusive use to sort these faster.

Run the WIndows Search Troubleshooter:
    Fix and Repair broken Windows Search in Windows 10/8/7

Go over the
    Windows 10 Install Integrity Checklist.

Let us know if you have any questions and what you find.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Sep 2, 2015
  3. Stephen_C Win User
    Cortana not finding local documents

Thanks, did all the things. Also did sfc and dism. Also checked locations under Indexing Options. Also rebuilt index.

It is still broken. Broke after updating to Fall Creators Update.

This is seriously afu.

How do I stop Cortana and revert to plain Windows Search?

Stephen_C, Sep 2, 2015
  4. Windows Search and/or Indexing Broken

Have you performed clean install after the upgrade? It's highly recommended, because there have been known problems when upgrading to W10.

softwaremaniac, Sep 7, 2015
  5. zdzdz Win User
    I have exactly the same problem. Can't start the Windows Search service. *Sad

As for the sfc /scannow error I can advise you to try running: dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

zdzdz, Nov 18, 2015
  6. zdzdz Win User
    I managed to run the Windows Search service.
    I had to delete the Key RebuildIndex and change value of key SetupCompletedSuccessfully to 1.

Windows Search and/or Indexing Broken [​IMG]

Now that the search service works I have another problem. The indexing is not working:

In Advanced options the Index Location is blank and the button Select New is grayed out.

When I run the troubleshooter I get : Incorrect permissions on Windows Search directories -- Not fixed

The owner of folders C:\Program Data\Microsoft\Search and C:\Program Data\Microsoft\Search\Data is SYSTEM. Administrator and my user name are added with Full Control.
    What could be the problem?

zdzdz, Dec 11, 2015
  7. sirsurfer Win User
    Have exactly the same problem. Have been trying for months to fix this without success. Will be interested to see if you are able to find a solution.

sirsurfer, Jan 8, 2016
  8. dalchina New Member

dalchina, Jan 8, 2016
  9. zdzdz Win User
    Actually I managed to fix the indexing problem, but I got even major problem.

I made a different thread just for my case: Windows Search and Indexing Broken - Windows 10 Forums

It appears the root of my problem was wrong security permissions on my drive c:
    Administrator was missing from user groups and I had some unknown accounts.
    That's why indexer couldn't access it's default folder and therefore all other problems came from this.

I did something very stupid. I tried to add Administrator by hand and apply to all subfolders and files. Then stopped it halfway. That was my mistake.

Then I found a free software called Permissions Time Machine. It's a great program that fixes permissions. There is an option to restore the default permissions. I chose to fix permissions for the whole drive c: It took me 10 hours.

As a result the permissions were fixed. Indexing was working. But because of my mistake earlier my start menu and cortana got ruined. They didn't work any more. So I did a clean install of Windows.

So I strongly recommend you do a full backup before you try to do something. I don't know if the problem on your system is the same, but it is probably related to wrong permissions.

zdzdz, Jan 8, 2016
  10. unifex Win User
    Interesting. One of the first things I do with Windows is to turn off indexing and Windows Search. To each it's own, I guess.

unifex, Jan 8, 2016
  11. AndreyT Win User
    Yes, that's what I used to do in pre-Windows 10 versions of the system, when search was a fairly isolated and independent feature.

But in Windows 10 it became integrated much tighter into the system. Disabling indexing and search will result in "dead" search fields in such places as Settings window. Even if you never use the Search field there, it is still rather unpleasant to see it not working properly.

AndreyT, Jan 8, 2016
  12. dalchina New Member
    It also directly affects Cortana's 'My Stuff' search, which seems limited to what's indexed - not that I'd ever actually admit to using it..

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows Search and/or Indexing Broken - Similar Threads - Search Indexing Broken

2. Windows Search Index

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Search Index: Hi,When I search my computer, I can find files with the word I'm searching for. But what I want to find is the contents of office files that have the word I searched for. So I want to add the contents of office files to the search index.In the search index advanced settings...
  3. Windows Search Index

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Search Index: Hi,When I search my computer, I can find files with the word I'm searching for. But what I want to find is the contents of office files that have the word I searched for. So I want to add the contents of office files to the search index.In the search index advanced settings...
  4. Windows Search Index

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. windows search and indexing

in Cortana
    windows search and indexing: hello the search in taskbar stopped working for some reason it i think crashes when i type or click on something in it, i have tried running the trouble shooter multiple times nothing, did this thing with power shell still nothing, did the w + r and then command Still nothing...
  6. windows search and indexing

in Cortana
    windows search and indexing: 1 my windows search does not search the d directory. 2 it happened at once that my index stopped working, when i go to the settings is crashes, i have tried all methods like run, command prompt, and at the end i restarted windows from iso, now i don't know what else i can...
  7. Window search and indexing

in Cortana
    Window search and indexing: I can only fine file names if i type a word in search box but i want to find indexed file content and files which contain the word i type. I tried to solve in many ways such as rebuilding indexes and changing permissions but nothing got different. I don't have such problems...
  8. Nonfunctioning Explorer Search, broken permissions, indexing chaos..

in Windows 10 Support
    Nonfunctioning Explorer Search, broken permissions, indexing chaos..: Hello! I rarely ever run into PC issues that make me desperate, but this might be just the case, specially since I'm completely and hopelessly lost about what to do.. I'd be immensely grateful if any help could be offered, or at least if I can be guided through this...
  9. Windows Search and Indexing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Search and Indexing: When I rebuild the index, I get the message "indexing complete" after a couple of hours, but only 4,000 files are indexed, which is only a small percentage of the total number of files in the directories I've listed for indexing. One directory contains over 10,000 files, a...
  10. Windows Search and Indexing Broken

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows Search and Indexing Broken: After upgrading to TH2 I had an issue with windows search. The service wouldn't start at all. I managed to run the Windows Search service. I had to delete the Key RebuildIndex and change value of key SetupCompletedSuccessfully to 1. [img] Now that the search...