Windows 10: Windows Search Doesn't Suck Anymore

Discus and support Windows Search Doesn't Suck Anymore in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Search has been getting better and better with every version of Windows, but with 10, it’s it a place where it is legitimately awesome. It found what I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Cliff S, Jul 23, 2015.

1. Cliff S New Member

Windows Search Doesn't Suck Anymore

Source: http://reviews.gizmodo.com/windows-s...ore-1719865606

:)

Cliff S, Jul 23, 2015

2. Where is a search tutorial for Windows 10?

I have found a lot of tutorials on Windows 10 but nothing that tells me how to Search my files.

For instance I want to find all my docx files with the word 'economics' in them. Or all the files having an 'm' and a 'j' in the filename and having words that begin with 'xy' in them. You know, the kind of stuff we used to be able to do in Windows XP.
    I also remember Google Desktop which was search nirvana.

With Windows 10 there is the issue of using Cortana to search MyStuff, which I can find zero documentation on, or searching with Cortana turned completely off (which I think will be my mode of operation). So I'm looking for documentation on both ways.

I am guessing that with Cortana turned off I am left with that super slow File explorer search (which never works reliably) that will run for days if left alone.

There is a Gizmodo review entitled "Windows search doesn't suck anymore" at
    http://reviews.gizmodo.com/windows-search-doesnt-suck-anymore-1719865606
    but this apparently has false information saying that I can say : "show me my spreadsheets" but that does not work. Maybe it's referencing a future version of Windows 10.

I tried "find my docx files" and I tried "*.docx:economics" both of those searches showed me two xml files so I'm just banging around in the dark.

So where can I find the "everything you ever wanted to know about Search on Windows 10?" (I fear there isn't one)

Thanks,

Dean

Dean Blakely, Jul 23, 2015
  3. Microsoft LifeCam - Windows 10

sure!! maybe? My microsoft lifecam doesn't work properly anymore. Maybe yours might lol. My job requires a webcam. This is ****! Im so sorry I switched to windows 10. Should have waited. Now my cam sucks. Worked fine a month ago

SweetCanadian, Jul 23, 2015
  4. Windows Search Doesn't Suck Anymore

When I type "Gizmodo" I still get the Bing results.

Windows Search Doesn't Suck Anymore [​IMG]

fracking4oil, Jul 23, 2015
  5. Cliff S New Member
    Maybe because of your system settings? Default browser and/or default search engine?

Cliff S, Jul 23, 2015
  6. Cliff S New Member
    Even on Windows 8.1 it works for me.

Cliff S, Jul 23, 2015
  7. Even setting Chrome & Google as defaults I still get Bing results. Are there settings within Cortana/search I need to set?

fracking4oil, Jul 23, 2015
  8. Cliff S New Member

I couldn't say right now, as I have both my machines setup with their original OSs in preparation for the upgrades*Sad Maybe someone else can help here, sorry. Maybe the author has it setup as a bookmark, and because of indexing it opens for him(total guessing here). Try one of your bookmarked sites-Ten Forums for example.

Cliff S, Jul 23, 2015
  9. rspy24 Win User
    actually the windows 8.1 search was far better, FOR ME atleast.. now is just dumb.. In win8.1 i can open ANY program just by pressing Windows key + typing the first 2 or 3 letters of the program + enter key.. I took me like 1 seg to open a program before... In windows 10 i can still do that but with more steps and it feels so slow.. Is faster to have shortcuts now, like in windows XP lol.. and I hate shortcuts *Sad i know is probably a little nit picking but for me is a deal breaker :c

rspy24, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows Search Doesn't Suck Anymore - Similar Threads - Search Doesn't Suck

2. Windows search box doesn't automatically select the best result anymore

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows search box doesn't automatically select the best result anymore: Usually I pressed the Win key to open up the windows start menu and I typed any letters there to start searching for my apps and files.For example I usually type 'Win' then 'F' and 'Enter' to open File Explorer.The problem is that now the search box doesn't automatically...
  3. Windows search box doesn't automatically select the best result anymore

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows search box doesn't automatically select the best result anymore: Usually I pressed the Win key to open up the windows start menu and I typed any letters there to start searching for my apps and files.For example I usually type 'Win' then 'F' and 'Enter' to open File Explorer.The problem is that now the search box doesn't automatically...
  4. Windows search box doesn't automatically select the best result anymore

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. start menu and search bar doesn't work anymore

in Windows 10 Gaming
    start menu and search bar doesn't work anymore: hello guys , i am having a problem that is really annoying me , the starting menu doesn't appear anymore , no matter the method i use to try to make it pop up , the search bar as well it only appears once, when i restart explorer from manager then won't appear anymore,, this...
  6. start menu and search bar doesn't work anymore

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    start menu and search bar doesn't work anymore: hello guys , i am having a problem that is really annoying me , the starting menu doesn't appear anymore , no matter the method i use to try to make it pop up , the search bar as well it only appears once, when i restart explorer from manager then won't appear anymore,, this...
  7. start menu and search bar doesn't work anymore

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. Windows Search doesn't show icons anymore

in Cortana
    Windows Search doesn't show icons anymore: Does anyone know how to fix this? [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-search-doesnt-show-icons-anymore/122a954f-93d7-4830-88bb-63cf6aaf9139
  9. Search function doesn't work anymore

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Search function doesn't work anymore: Hello everyone, Since a few days my Windows 10 search bar doesn't work anymore. When I try to use it I go to the bar, I type something in it and a window does come up. The Windows however is totally empty, normally my search results would pop up here. I have tried...
  10. Cortana/Windows Search doesn't do math calculations anymore

in Cortana
    Cortana/Windows Search doesn't do math calculations anymore: I recently upgraded to Windows 10 version 1903 and it seems I can no longer do math calculations in the search any more. In the past, entering simple math (or simple searches) resulted in the answer showing up on the frame on the right, but now all I see is "search the web...