Windows 10: Windows Search Feature Not Working Properly

Discus and support Windows Search Feature Not Working Properly in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, I came to request help with a recent issue that has made using my computer far more difficult. I run Windows 10 on an HP and for some odd... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by starblazing, Apr 16, 2017.

1. Windows Search Feature Not Working Properly

Hello,

I came to request help with a recent issue that has made using my computer far more difficult.

I run Windows 10 on an HP and for some odd reason, my search feature will not work.

It's been going on for a few weeks now, and I've been using Cortana for a while in place, but for some things Cortana doesn't work, such as having to type in more vague code to access files that need to be tweaked to mod video games.

When I try to use the search feature, I can type the first letter before it freezes for a split second and closes out completely. It does the same whether I click on it or use the Windows key.

Help would be appreciated. Thank you.

:)

starblazing, Apr 16, 2017

2. Windows Search Feature Not Working Properly

Hello,

I don't know what happened, but I tried to search for the calculator again the other day, and it suddenly worked. Unfortunately, I won't be around that computer for many months, as I'm studying abroad. Hopefully, this problem doesn't come back to haunt me.

Thanks!

Petter Wilhelmsen, Apr 16, 2017
  3. Windows Search Feature Not Working Properly

Hello,

I've been Googling a lot to try to fix this problem that I recently discovered, but nothing seems to be working. It started maybe a week ago, and I discovered it when I wanted to search for the calculator. I work a lot on my computer, and therefore I use
    the calculator a lot as well. I remember that all my desktop programs had been pushed to the left (I sort them into two categories, one on the left and one on the right). This may or may not be related to the issue I'm experiencing now. I also cannot access
    Settings through the Windows menu (including subcategories in Settings). I've tried these fixes:

• Look for corrupted system files (no corrupted files found)
    • Expand the indexing area (to include all folders)
    • Troubleshoot the search and indexing feature
      • It says: "invalid permissions on windows search directories", but when I try to change the owner to my admin user, nothing changes

• Reinstall Cortana

I hope someone out there can help me! :O

Here are my system specs:

Windows 10 Home x64

Processor: Intel Core i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40GHz

RAM: 32 GB

EDIT:

Tried troubleshooting Windows Store, without it solving my problem.

Petter Wilhelmsen, Apr 16, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Windows Search Feature Not Working Properly

Hi, first thing to try to see if this is a user profile issue or perhaps a conflicting program is to check this with another user account.

If you don't have one, create one for test purposes.

If Cortana works properly then, Windows is likely to be ok. If not, try a clean boot to check for 3rd party conflicts.

If that doesn't work, try re-registering Cortana.

Tutorial section, use the command for Cortana, observing the instructions at the start of that section.
    Apps - Reinstall and Re-register in Windows 8 and 10

Does file explorer search work? (Note: Cortana file search only finds indexed files, will not find executables, and is really rather limited, and doesn't support regular expressions).

For really fast effective searches use:
    Locate32
    Ultrasearch
    Everything by Void tools

(free, find anything across all internal disks and partitions, find-as-you-type indexed results with very good file specifications by data, size, extension, regular expression....).

dalchina, Apr 16, 2017
  5. The primary reason I need my search feature to be fixed is to access files that have to be searched through the search feature, such as things like %appdata% to tweak data in game files. For some odd reason, this usually works fine with the Windows key search but not with the file explorer search. Do the search softwares you listed support those types of searches?

starblazing, Apr 16, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    Hi, example using Locate32:

Windows Search Feature Not Working Properly [​IMG]

Feel free to try the other programs.

File Explorer:

Windows Search Feature Not Working Properly [​IMG]

The difference? The first (specified 'everywhere' - all disks/partitions) was instant.
    The second took several minutes, and I started from 'Roaming' (on an SSD).

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Windows Search Feature Not Working Properly

1. Windows Search Feature Not Working Properly - Similar Threads - Search Feature Working

2. Windows Search not working properly

in Cortana
    Windows Search not working properly: Windows Search is not working properly. In Task Manager/Processes SearchApp.exe is shown as suspended, with a green leaf-type symbol which when hovered over says “This UWP process is suspended to improve system performance”. Under “GPU Engine” it reads “GPU 0 – 3D” In...
  3. Windows Search not working properly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Search not working properly: Windows Search is not working properly. In Task Manager/Processes SearchApp.exe is shown as suspended, with a green leaf-type symbol which when hovered over says “This UWP process is suspended to improve system performance”. Under “GPU Engine” it reads “GPU 0 – 3D” In...
  4. Windows Search not working properly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. The search is not working properly

in Cortana
    The search is not working properly: Hello, When I trying to find a file so it is doesn't working properly! For example I am trying to find text file thats are located in the desktop: [ATTACH] and it does not work: [ATTACH] Windows Server 2019...
  6. Search Bar in windows is not working properly

in Windows 10 Customization
    Search Bar in windows is not working properly: There is blank screen on the search bar when I try to search anything in windows [IMG] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/search-bar-in-windows-is-not-working-properly/ebe04da6-c964-45fc-8f46-68175e07173d
  7. Search Bar in windows is not working properly

in Windows 10 Customization
    Search Bar in windows is not working properly: There is blank screen on the search bar when I try to search anything in windows [IMG] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/search-bar-in-windows-is-not-working-properly/379b6b1b-1b9c-4ab8-9756-6d9acf961fd6
  8. Windows features(?) aren't working properly

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows features(?) aren't working properly: Features that are strictly part of the OS, like the on screen volume indicator, the Alt+Tab and Win+Tab displays, or the start menu, all just stop working randomly. They seem to fix themselves if I just wait a bit, but then stop again. Any solve for this? Edit: I’m using...
  9. Windows Search indexing not working properly

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Search indexing not working properly: Dear all, When I try to search for a document content on an indexed location it will not display any results, but you can clearly see that this text is existing in the word document. See screenshot. This is not for all but for a lot of "in document text searches" The...
  10. Windows Search indexing not working properly

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Search indexing not working properly: Dear all, When I try to search for a document content on an indexed location it will not display any results, but you can clearly see that this text is existing in the word document. See screenshot. This is not for all but for a lot of "in document text searches" The...