Windows 10: Windows Search - Files not shown

Discus and support Windows Search - Files not shown in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi Guys! first of all, sorry for my english; it isn't my first language. I would like to show you a very strange issue that make me crazy. I have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by DrakeVanCaster, Sep 15, 2015.

1. Windows Search - Files not shown

Hi Guys!
    first of all, sorry for my english; it isn't my first language.

I would like to show you a very strange issue that make me crazy.
    I have some HDDs connected through SATA in my PC and in one of them, I stored my files.
    Included that path in Indexing service, Windows can't show me the file I search.

Instead, if I search a file or a folder stored in my DropBox folder for example, (under C:\users\Emanuele\Dropbox) the windows search show it immediately.

Some example.
    If i want to search a file or folder stored in D:\, windows search not show any file....
    If i search a folder in indexed in C: all works fine.

Windows Search - Files not shown [​IMG]

I tried to rebuild index too many times.

Hope is clear... please help me *Smile

:)

DrakeVanCaster, Sep 15, 2015
  2. brady1989 Win User

OR fucntion not working in saved searches

if I search for:

80134543 OR 80134544 OR 80134545

then 3 files are found, each file contains one of the numbers in the search. I save this search and then run the saved search that I have just created and only the first file for 80134543 is shown. I have tried different files, different folder and have
    also tried it on another windows 10 computer and it still only shows the first file.

why is it that the search works when typed in manually but not when it is run from a saved search? does windows 10 have an issue with saved searches and the OR function?

brady1989, Sep 15, 2015
  3. Jagatth Win User
    File search problem with windows 10

In Windows 10 file explorer, I am not able to find files that I know exist. Specifically, this happens when I search with the option of searching with file name as shown in the screenshot below. You may see that I searched for files with "decade" in the
    file name. The search shows 4 files in the indexed location. However, I know that there are other files with "decade" in the file name AND that these are in the same indexed location as the ones which have shown up.

You can see the additional files below.

All these files are in the same folder, but yet, some show up when I search in the file explorer, and some don't .

I don't know why this happens. Any solutions would be highly appreciated. I DID NOT HAVE THIS TROUBLE IN WINDOWS-7!

Thanks,

J

Jagatth, Sep 15, 2015
  4. Windows Search - Files not shown

namelessrabbit, Sep 16, 2015
  5. dalchina New Member
    Hi, have you set up search in file explorer to index the areas you want?
    Click the search box, Search tab, Advanced options, Change indexed locations, Modify.
    You can see how the indexing is progressing- it shows the number of items.

dalchina, Sep 16, 2015
  6. dalchina New Member
    That said, searching using Cortana or explorer for files/folders/ etc seems to be a waste of time. (I've never used it).
    I've always used e.g. Locate32 (fast indexed search by name+ optional find by content); 'Everything' is fast but more basic. There are others- straightforward, reliable, easy, uncomplicated.

dalchina, Sep 16, 2015
  7. Hi guys,
    thank you for your reply.
    @namelessrabbit: it's very absurd... With W7 and W8 the search service works well... and now in W10 I can only search in my user folder?!
    The strange thing is I can search correctly for file and folder but not in other HDDs.
    @dalchina: Hi! of course I've checked the indexing option.

I don't know what to do now *Sad

DrakeVanCaster, Sep 17, 2015
  8. dalchina New Member

Windows Search - Files not shown

Can you post a screen-shot showing your (supposedly!) indexed locations? (explorer settings)

dalchina, Sep 17, 2015
  9. bro67 Win User
    Do not use Cortana. Use the standard Windows Search in Windows Explorer. An even better option would be to use something like Ultra Search, which uses the MBR to find the files.

bro67, Sep 17, 2015
  10. dalchina New Member
    So out of curiosity, I plugged in a flash drive. It had a couple of files on it.
    It was not in the indexed locations, of course.
    Cortana failed to find anything on the drive.
    I added a file, Cortana still failed. Somehow I wasn't surprised.
    Explorer search found the added file very quickly, but continued some search activity for quite some time, slowing things down (green progress bar).

There are much better ways- using freeware solutions!

dalchina, Sep 17, 2015
  11. sure *Wink

@bro67
    I don't need an external software.
    with W7 and W8 I press the windows button and in 1 second I find the correct folder... I don't need advanced search.. just a folder *Smile

12. done the same but I can't figure out if I done some mistake somewhere...
    why I can search correctly only in my C: drive?

13. dalchina New Member

Can you try opening your D: drive in explorer, then doing the search?

dalchina, Sep 17, 2015
  14. Hi Dalchina,
    Opened D: in explorer and performed a search using the upper righ search box.

The search works... Still not works in Start search insted of other C: indicized files

15. dalchina New Member
    Hmm, interesting. Thanks for the confirmation. Do you get the impression this hasn't been thoroughly tested/specified? & a Cortana search for 'My Stuff' is pretty useless. And the inherited start menu (from upgrade) loses all subfolders in Win 10 'All Apps'- e.g. all the shortcuts from all the subfolders under my 'Multimedia' folder are presented in a flat list- others are missing.

My view: 1. Use a start menu replacement. 2. Don't use explorer search- use 3rd party freeware.

dalchina, Sep 17, 2015
Thema:

1. Windows Search - Files not shown - Similar Threads - Search Files shown

2. One Drive Search not all files are shown

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    One Drive Search not all files are shown: Hello,I am using one drive since years on windows 10, withing the last years mainly using mobile Android app.Files should be indexed for quick searching them,but this isn't working the whole time properly.I am not talking about new uploaded or moved files, for example I tried...
  3. One Drive Search not all files are shown

in Windows 10 Gaming
    One Drive Search not all files are shown: Hello,I am using one drive since years on windows 10, withing the last years mainly using mobile Android app.Files should be indexed for quick searching them,but this isn't working the whole time properly.I am not talking about new uploaded or moved files, for example I tried...
  4. One Drive Search not all files are shown

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. files are shown missing or duplicated

in Windows 10 Gaming
    files are shown missing or duplicated: so i have this problem where when i look at my downloads folder in file explorer, they are not shown in orderwhen i scroll down a bit and then scroll back up , i saw that one of my files was duplicated and when i click on one of them, it highlights bothand when i looked...
  6. files are shown missing or duplicated

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    files are shown missing or duplicated: so i have this problem where when i look at my downloads folder in file explorer, they are not shown in orderwhen i scroll down a bit and then scroll back up , i saw that one of my files was duplicated and when i click on one of them, it highlights bothand when i looked...
  7. Search box not shown

in Cortana
    Search box not shown: I have been having problems in which I do not have the option to switch to search box in my Lenovo laptop. I used to have the option to do this but after I just opened my computer this morning, I found that my search box have been switch to search icon and when I tried to...
  8. HIdden Files not shown

in Windows 10 Support
    HIdden Files not shown: I have around 15 hidden files in c:\ that don't show up in file explorer even with 'show hidden files' checked in view options. Is this something Microsoft is doing deliberately? How do I get them to show up? 135218
  9. Files not shown in Windows Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Files not shown in Windows Explorer: Just upgraded to latest version of Windows 10. Many of my newer files do not show up in Explorer. I know the files are there, because if I open a program, e.g. Adobe Reader, and and click on a recent file, the file opens, even though it is not listed in Explorer. This...
  10. Files shown in "Recent"

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Files shown in "Recent": Files from two particular folders under Documents do not appear in Recent: One is called MS Office Textfiles and the other MS Office Spreadsheets. However, if I save the same files to another folder and use them they do appear in Recent. Any file I use in any other folder...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. indexing not showing some arabic files windows 10