Windows 10: Windows Search Indexer suddenly using too much CPU, help please

Discus and support Windows Search Indexer suddenly using too much CPU, help please in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi, the "Microsoft Windows Search Indexer" is driving me nuts and heating up my PC in my hot little apartment.*Confused The problem: Since about... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Shamelesslyprou, May 24, 2018.

1. Windows Search Indexer suddenly using too much CPU, help please

Hi, the "Microsoft Windows Search Indexer" is driving me nuts and heating up my PC in my hot little apartment.*Confused

The problem:

Since about about 20 days ago (perhaps it happened after a Windows update, not sure, but I think it has happened before...not sure how or why it stopped last time), Microsoft Windows Search Indexer has been acting very moody, suddenly abusing my CPU like crazy.

What I mean is that even when I'm not downloading anything, even when index is not being rebuilt, every 5-20 minutes (irregularly) that process begins to overuse my CPU. For instance, when I open a Task Manager, I can see Microsoft Windows Search Indexer suddenly rising to the top, CPU usage going from like 3% to 50% or more and my PC's fans start revving up. Sometimes the Disk column also goes to 99% or 100% usage.

In the past I would wait but it did not stop so eventually what I did was right click on the process and ending it (I had to do it several times back to back because usually it showed up again in a few secs). Then in five, ten, twenty minutes, I never know when, it would begin again.

I am attaching a picture of my task manager from earlier so you can see (Though it didn't happen in this case, the Disk percentage sometimes goes up 99% or 100% when indexing starts acting up). PiXhost - Free Image Hosting

What have I done so far?

I have rebuilt the index three times (twice intentionally, once the PC had started doing it itself) in the last two or three weeks. Each time took like 10 hours. But eventually, nothing changed. I have checked for viruses, etc, too.

The only "solution" has been to turn off indexing (based on a tutorial I read): Going to services, right click on Windows Search and disabled and restart PC. Yes, that worked and the indexing stopped (actually usually shows up again once or twice right after I restart but no more).

Couple of times I tried turning it back on after another restart but then same problem occurs as before, so I have left it off.

This solution works in one sense but I need indexing turned on to help me search through about 100,000 pdf files that I have on my PC. I'm a biology student and these are files I use everyday.

I have been unable to find a replacement for Windows indexing. I have tried a few software but they either search only the titles of my pdf files or when they search inside them, it takes much longer and is much less complete than Window's indexing, to the point that they're useless.

About my PC:

3 years old, DELL Vostro, i7, 64 bit, 6 GB RAM, running Windows 10.

About me:

Tech newbie, know next to nothing about computers.

Conclusion

Microsoft Windows Search Indexer process (and perhaps related processes) suddenly begins using too much of my CPU, something that happens irregularly but often.

I much appreciate any suggestions/help that you can offer me. Thank you. *Cool

:)

Shamelesslyprou, May 24, 2018
  2. Arun B J Win User

Windows 10 Windows Search / Indexing Stops Completing

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve this issue.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps

• Press Windows key + R.
    • Type Services.msc In the search box.
    • Select Windows Search
    • Restart the services and set the service as Automatic
    If the issue persist try performing Rebuilding Index again.

To rebuild the index follow the steps below:

• Open the Control Panel from the Start menu.
    • Open Indexing Options in the Control Panel.
    • Select the Advanced button in the Indexing Options window.
    • Select Rebuild in the Troubleshooting section of the Advanced Options window.
    • Select OK when it asks if you’re sure you want to re-build the search index.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help

Arun B J, May 24, 2018
  3. Arul_D Win User
    Windows 10 search not indexing Outlook 2013, no search results

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in using Windows 10.

Let's diagnose the issue by referring to the following suggestion and check if that helps you.

First of all, I would suggest you to check if the
    Windows Search
    Service is running in Automatic mode under the list of Windows services. You can follow the steps to check and start the
    Windows Search again:

• Press Windows+R keys to open Run. Type “servces.msc” without quotes and hit
      Enter.
    • From the list of services, locate the Windows Search Support Service
      and Windows Search Service.
    • Right click on the Windows Search Service
      and then click on Properties.
    • Check if the service is running. If not, start the service and change the
      Startup type to Automatic.
    • Follow the same steps to start the Bluetooth service
      and change the startup type to Automatic.
    You can also try the following suggestion.

Run the Search and Indexing troubleshooter. Follow the steps mentioned below.

• Press “Windows key + W”.
    • Type “Troubleshooting” without quotes in the Search box and hit enter.
    • Select “View all” option from the left panel.
    • Select “Search and Indexing”.
    • Follow the on-screen instructions to run the troubleshooter.
    Hope this information helps you. Please do let us know if you need further assistance.

Arul_D, May 24, 2018
Thema:

Windows Search Indexer suddenly using too much CPU, help please

1. Windows Search Indexer suddenly using too much CPU, help please - Similar Threads - Search Indexer suddenly

2. Microsoft Programmes using too much CPU

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Programmes using too much CPU: I've never had this problem before until 2 days ago. I couldn't find a way to fix it and it effects my fps performance. Can you please help me? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-programmes-using-too-much-cpu/90a0e87a-fbbc-4d9d-986c-545e4e7c5d68
  3. Microsoft Programmes using too much CPU

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Microsoft Programmes using too much CPU: I've never had this problem before until 2 days ago. I couldn't find a way to fix it and it effects my fps performance. Can you please help me? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-programmes-using-too-much-cpu/90a0e87a-fbbc-4d9d-986c-545e4e7c5d68
  4. Microsoft Programmes using too much CPU

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows 10 : Browsers using too much CPU!!

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 : Browsers using too much CPU!!: Hey, I am using Windows 10 in my newly built PC and I am seeing that every time I start my PC, chrome started in background and start using about 60% CPU without opening any thing on PC. I thought it was a browser problem so I uninstalled the browser and started using...
  6. Too much CPU Usage

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Too much CPU Usage: Sir/Madam , I am Using Windows 7 SP1 64 bitPentium D, 2GB RAM.Recently i have noticed in task manager, that a process called nscpuminer64 is using much cpu usage,sometimes utilizing entire RAM.Few days ago my thermal paste of processor got dried and CPU didn't started which I...
  7. javaw.exe often using too much CPU

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    javaw.exe often using too much CPU: I often notice that javaw.exe (8 Update 251) is taking too much CPU (65% upwards). Tried to investigate using Process Explorer, System Explorer, Task Manager Deluxe, Daphne, but none of them provides the information I'm looking for: which program/process is demanding Java too...
  8. search indexer using cpu

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    search indexer using cpu: hello. the search indexer is consumin all my cpu making my pc hot and slow. I have tryed disabling it many times in the services menu but it just still there. the idenxing options is stuck "in waiting to receive indexing status..." dont know what elese to do plis help....
  9. Windows Search Indexer suddenly using too much CPU

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Search Indexer suddenly using too much CPU: Hi, the "Microsoft Windows Search Indexer" is driving me nuts and heating up my PC in my hot little apartment.*Confused The problem: Since about about 20 days ago (perhaps it happened after a Windows update, not sure, but I think it has happened before...not sure how or why...
  10. Windows Defender is using too much CPU

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender is using too much CPU: Antimalware Service Executable process is using way too much CPU (55-60%) and my total CPU usage never falls under 90% unless I stop it manually and everything's back to normal again. I really don't wanna keep disabling it, but I have no choice currently. Anything I can...