Windows 10: Windows Search indexing never completes

Discus and support Windows Search indexing never completes in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; The search results for "My stuff" always comes back with this message: "These results may be incomplete, search is still indexing your stuff."... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by VelcroFace, Mar 31, 2016.

1. Windows Search indexing never completes

The search results for "My stuff" always comes back with this message:

"These results may be incomplete, search is still indexing your stuff."

Apparently this is a common complaint, and I have tried the most frequently suggested fix: I went into Indexing Options, and deleted and rebuilt the search index. That took only a couple of hours, but I waited three days just to make sure everything was indexed. Unfortunately, the issue still persists. Are there any other solutions I can try?

:)

VelcroFace, Mar 31, 2016

2. Indexing never completes

Windows 10 Pro (1703).

Between SearchProtocolHost.exe and SearchFilterHost.exe, about 30% of an i5 CPU is getting used
    perpetually.

On investigation I found that indexing
    never actually finishes. Repeated attempts to delete/rebuild the index always results in it reaching the same number of indexed items (plus or minus a few from the previous attempt) but it never actually reports finishing. This
    is a relatively clean/benign install of Windows. Note also that there is no associated hard drive activity, only aberrant CPU usage.

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

James-Dean, Mar 31, 2016
  3. Indexing never completes

Hi James,

To better help you with this concern, we suggest that you post your question in TechNet Windows 10 forum. Your Windows 10 question is more complex than what is typically answered in Microsoft Answers Forums. It is better suited
    for the IT Pro audience on TechNet. Here's the link.

Feel free to post back should you have further concern.

Charianne Per, Mar 31, 2016
  4. bro67 Win User

Windows Search indexing never completes

If it is interrupted while scanning, when the machine is supposed to be idle, or a directory is always updating that is in the index, it will never stop.

You need to delete the folders in there, save, then reboot.

bro67, Mar 31, 2016
  5. What folders are those? I have deleted the index and rebuilt it through Indexing Options, but that did not resolve the issue.

VelcroFace, Mar 31, 2016
  6. bro67 Win User
    In the Index interface. Just rebuilding it, is not going to fix the problem.

bro67, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Windows Search indexing never completes

1. Windows Search indexing never completes - Similar Threads - Search indexing never

2. Windows Search Index

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Search Index: Hi,When I search my computer, I can find files with the word I'm searching for. But what I want to find is the contents of office files that have the word I searched for. So I want to add the contents of office files to the search index.In the search index advanced settings...
  3. Windows Search Index

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Search Index: Hi,When I search my computer, I can find files with the word I'm searching for. But what I want to find is the contents of office files that have the word I searched for. So I want to add the contents of office files to the search index.In the search index advanced settings...
  4. Windows Search Index

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. search indexing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    search indexing: i cannot able to on search indexing and when i try to off or on the search indexing it is not connecting https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/search-indexing/4dfc976c-6238-4bd2-9da5-e390b5e5cbb3
  6. windows search and indexing

in Cortana
    windows search and indexing: hello the search in taskbar stopped working for some reason it i think crashes when i type or click on something in it, i have tried running the trouble shooter multiple times nothing, did this thing with power shell still nothing, did the w + r and then command Still nothing...
  7. windows search and indexing

in Cortana
    windows search and indexing: 1 my windows search does not search the d directory. 2 it happened at once that my index stopped working, when i go to the settings is crashes, i have tried all methods like run, command prompt, and at the end i restarted windows from iso, now i don't know what else i can...
  8. Window search and indexing

in Cortana
    Window search and indexing: I can only fine file names if i type a word in search box but i want to find indexed file content and files which contain the word i type. I tried to solve in many ways such as rebuilding indexes and changing permissions but nothing got different. I don't have such problems...
  9. Windows Search and Indexing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Search and Indexing: When I rebuild the index, I get the message "indexing complete" after a couple of hours, but only 4,000 files are indexed, which is only a small percentage of the total number of files in the directories I've listed for indexing. One directory contains over 10,000 files, a...
  10. Rebuilding index never completes

in Cortana
    Rebuilding index never completes: I have developed a problem with Windows 10 search facility. It was suggested that I rebuild the index. I have done this now at least 8 times but it never completes and when I search I always get the result that windows is reindexing. The error message I receive is...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows explorer search never completes