Windows 10: Windows Search/Magnifier-Icon: How to stop showing indexed pictures?

Discus and support Windows Search/Magnifier-Icon: How to stop showing indexed pictures? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; All my own private pictures (with all my manually added tags) are indexed. Whenever I'm searching for an App or a Document with the help of the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by WTenNewbie, Sep 20, 2017.

1. Windows Search/Magnifier-Icon: How to stop showing indexed pictures?

All my own private pictures (with all my manually added tags) are indexed.
    Whenever I'm searching for an App or a Document with the help of the Search/Magnifier-Icon in the Taskbar I also get results from my picture collection.

I know that I can filter the searchresult with a specific file type like "Apps" or "Documents".
    But how can I prevent my indexed pictures from appearing in the search results at all?
    I don't want to filter them out from the result in a second step. I'm looking for a search like "Default search in Apps and Documents, but nowhere else" to see results without any pictures.

How can I do that?

Additional info:
    This thread Stop Personal Images From Appearing Within area - Windows 10 Forums show us, how to exclude pictures from beeing indexed.
    I'm looking for a solution where my pictures doesn't appear like in the linked thread, but remains indexed for much faster searching with my tags.

:)

WTenNewbie, Sep 20, 2017
  2. BDesco Win User

Index search in File Explorer

Hello,

on my keyboard there is a search button (magnifying glass).

In Windows 7 this key opened up Windows Explorer and in the righthand upper corner I could enter my search and the complete index was searched.

Now it opens up some flyout.

The problems is that :

- with a lot of hits, you don't get a good overview of all the results

- in windows 7 all hits were organised in columns with lots of info and the possibility to order the results.

I want to do a search in Windows 10/ File explorer, like I did in Windows 7.

But how to search the index in Windows 10/ File explorer?

If I search this pc everything is searched, indexed and not indexed content, even my external drive is searched. And it is slow 'working on it' is the message I get.

I can search only my harddrive but the problem is the same: indexed and not indexed content is searched. Slow. 'working on it'

The index says: "indexing complete".

thanks.

BDesco, Sep 20, 2017
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    White cortana search box seems to be a bug not feature (I GOT PROOF)

Hi AFWS, this does seem to be a bug and users eyes are drawn to this white box.

A Fix for now is:

Right click your Taskbar, choose Search - Show Search Icon

Then you will only have the magnifying glass icon

When you need to use the search function, you can either click your Start Button and type or click the Magnifying glass icon and type . . .

DaveM121, Sep 20, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Windows Search/Magnifier-Icon: How to stop showing indexed pictures?

Hi, here are two examples, one using Cortana search (e.g. Windows key + S) and one using file explorer search.

Windows Search/Magnifier-Icon: How to stop showing indexed pictures? [​IMG]

Windows Search/Magnifier-Icon: How to stop showing indexed pictures? [​IMG]

You can see that example1.jpg is not found.

Note that in the Cortana search I have selected 'Find results in documents' at the top.

And if you open explorer at a point in your file hierarchy which does not include your pictures, of course you will not see them in your results.

dalchina, Sep 20, 2017
  5. Thank you, dalchina.

As I wrote
    With your process I have to do a search first, wait for the result and then filter this result.
    What I'm looking for is a direct search for "Apps" or "Documents" as soon as I send my search string in the search box/magnifier box.

WTenNewbie, Sep 20, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    Not if you use file explorer as I showed you.

Note too that Classic Shell start menu (if you wished to consider it) also accepts
    example1 kind:docs

As regards Cortana, unless someone has a good idea, you'll need to speak to MS.
    You could try entering one character, then click the docs icon, then complete the rest of the characters.

dalchina, Sep 20, 2017
  7. xpclient Win User
    Use Classic Shell. You can control what it searches.

xpclient, Sep 21, 2017
  8. dalchina New Member

- except those settings per se don't meet the OP's requirements... (see my comment in my last post on CS).

dalchina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows Search/Magnifier-Icon: How to stop showing indexed pictures? - Similar Threads - Search Magnifier Icon

2. not showing mini picture on search icon

in Windows 10 Gaming
    not showing mini picture on search icon: not showing mini picture on search icon on my pc and laptop but other PCs are showing. it's showing bing ai chat icon. how to return mini pictures? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/not-showing-mini-picture-on-search-icon/7242ab95-9590-4830-99b0-91736df4a8c5
  3. not showing mini picture on search icon

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    not showing mini picture on search icon: not showing mini picture on search icon on my pc and laptop but other PCs are showing. it's showing bing ai chat icon. how to return mini pictures? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/not-showing-mini-picture-on-search-icon/7242ab95-9590-4830-99b0-91736df4a8c5
  4. How to export indexed searches of Windows?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to export indexed searches of Windows?: I want to export the 97626 indexed searches. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-export-indexed-searches-of-windows/3cbcbf13-ff35-4a23-9c9a-719f114cc61e
  5. Search Index / Windows Search 'Stopping'

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Search Index / Windows Search 'Stopping': I need some help getting my Search Index turned onThe Search Index has turned itself offI can't turn it back on because the Windows Search constantly says 'Stopping' and I don't have any of the options availableThe Search Index location is also blank...
  6. Search Index / Windows Search 'Stopping'

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Search Index / Windows Search 'Stopping': I need some help getting my Search Index turned onThe Search Index has turned itself offI can't turn it back on because the Windows Search constantly says 'Stopping' and I don't have any of the options availableThe Search Index location is also blank...
  7. Search Index / Windows Search 'Stopping'

in Cortana
  8. Windows Search Index (Icons refreshing)

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Search Index (Icons refreshing): I'm trying to troubleshoot an issue that I believe has to do with Windows Search Index. The issue is that the icons are blinking/refreshing around every 30 seconds to a minute. The icons on the desktop, and the ones pinned to the taskbar refresh. If I disable the Windows...
  9. Magnifying Glass (Search) Icon Windows 10 Taskbar

in Cortana
    Magnifying Glass (Search) Icon Windows 10 Taskbar: Yesterday IT had to do some work on my computer and it never fails that every time they work on it, they restore Cortana for her "search" functionality. I've told them about clicking the windows icon and then to directly start typing but they tend to stick with the Cortana...
  10. Most of my pictures have stopped showing icons (previews of the pictures)

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Most of my pictures have stopped showing icons (previews of the pictures): Most of my pictures have stopped showing icons (previews of the pictures) I have tried every "fix" that I can find by google and nothing has helped. I am using Windows 10. One site said Windows 10 is known for doing this. I tried clearing the cache. I made sure that the...