Windows 10: Windows Search no longer working after Anniversary Update

Discus and support Windows Search no longer working after Anniversary Update in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; As the title says, my Windows Search has stopped functioning properly after the Anniversary Update. I can click on the bar, and it will bring up an... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by SidearmSinker49, Sep 2, 2016.

1. Windows Search no longer working after Anniversary Update

As the title says, my Windows Search has stopped functioning properly after the Anniversary Update.
    I can click on the bar, and it will bring up an empty window, but as soon as I type in anything, it closes itself.

I've read up on some possible methods of fixing it, including restarting the Cortana process through the task manager, as well as fidgeting with the startup settings of the Windows Search service itself, but both to no avail.

There are multiple user accounts on this computer, and the others' seem to have properly-functioning search bars. I've thought about just moving my files to one of the other accounts, but there's 181 GB of stuff on my primary account and to me, transferring all that data is a little bit inconvenient just to have a functioning search bar. So, if at all possible, I'd like to avoid resorting to that method.

I'm at my wit's end....any ideas?

:)

SidearmSinker49, Sep 2, 2016

2. DP no longer working after Anniversary update?

Other than uninstalling and reinstalling the AMD drivers, that did nothing.

Windows10messedupmydisplayport, Sep 2, 2016
  3. DP no longer working after Anniversary update?

Hi,

I will be glad to help you with the issue you have with the computer.

What is the make and model of your computer?

The issue could be related to Display drivers then please try the steps provided to uninstall the
    Display Adapter from Device Manager, uninstall the device drivers from program list and then download the latest drivers from the manufacturer's website.

Step 1:

Uninstall the Device from Device Manager

• Open Device Manager
    • Expand the Display Adapter section.
    • Find the Display card Driver.
    • Right click Display card Driver and select
      Uninstall.
    • Select the check box delete the driver software for this device.
    • Reboot the computer after uninstall process has finished.

Step 2:

Uninstall the Device Drivers from Program List in Control Panel

• Click on start, select Control Panel
    • Now click on Programs and select Programs and Features.
    • Find the Display card Driver.
    • Right click Display card Driver and select
      Uninstall.
    • Reboot the computer after the uninstall process has finished.
    Hope this information is helpful. Please post in case you have any further issues, I will be glad to help you.

Ruth Buruga, Sep 2, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Windows Search no longer working after Anniversary Update

Hi, could you clarify which search you are referring to exactly?
    Do you mean Cortana's search- typically the search bar on the task bar? (I would assume so).
    (There's also the search field in file explorer).

It sounds as if that user account is corrupted, as others work normally, suggesting no basic Windows corruption.

You can try re-registering Cortana for that account - See under Option 2
    Apps - Reinstall and Re-register in Windows 8 and 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Can you post a screenshot with Cortana displayed (e.g. Windows key + S).
    You will need to use the full screen 'Prt Sc' key or similar on your keyboard, then paste that into e.g. Paint and save it.

dalchina, Sep 2, 2016
  5. Hi there dalchina,

I am indeed referring to the Cortana search in the task bar. I've attached a screenshot of what it looks like when I click on the bar, but that doesn't really tell the full story, as it looks like it's functioning correctly until I try to actually use it.
    I've also included a gif of what exactly happens when I do try to use it.

I'll try using that method you mentioned tomorrow morning and see if that works.

Windows Search no longer working after Anniversary Update [​IMG]

SidearmSinker49, Sep 2, 2016
  6. Well I tried using that re-registering method, and it didn't work. I tried using that code in both cmd and powershell and neither seemed to do anything. *Sad
    However, in Powershell, it gave me some kind of error, maybe someone more familiar with this kinda thing can help steer me in the right direction?

SidearmSinker49, Sep 3, 2016
  7. dalchina New Member
    Hi, you didn't follow the instructions. The section begins
    To Re-register a Specific App for Current Account

Windows Search no longer working after Anniversary Update [​IMG]
    Note
    This option is only for Windows 10.

1. Open a command prompt.

2. Copy and paste the command below for the Windows app you want to reset into the command prompt, and press Enter. When finished, you can close the command prompt if you like.

dalchina, Sep 3, 2016
  8. Windows Search no longer working after Anniversary Update

I've already tried using the re-registering code in the cmd command prompt, and it still doesn't seem like it's solved the issue... *Sad

SidearmSinker49, Sep 3, 2016
  9. dalchina New Member
    Ok, so presumably you didn't get a syntax error when you ran it from a command prompt- which is what your first error message was.

What happens after a clean boot? In Safe Mode?

dalchina, Sep 3, 2016
  10. Well I finally tried the clean boot method, and the issue was still not resolved. *Sad

EDIT 1: And now, I cannot re-enable all the services I disabled prior to clean booting... *Sad
    EDIT 2: It actually seems to be working fine from what I can tell. I guess just clicking normal startup re-enabled all the services without having to click enable all (per instructions from link)?

SidearmSinker49, Sep 5, 2016
  11. Vesao Win User
    The last resort is to revert the Anniversary Update.

Vesao, Sep 5, 2016
  12. I suppose so, or I could just migrate my files over to another user account. Or maybe if I wait patiently enough some update in the future might magically fix it.

13. dalchina New Member

User account corruption can be difficult or impossible to fix. As you have other accounts that work, Windows per se is not corrupted. Trying to fix things for one account runs the risk of affecting the others.

dalchina, Sep 5, 2016
  14. Bro, same thing happened to me multiple times. The only actual fix is to make a new account and just manually transfer over your files. I know it's an absolute pain in the ass and makes me angry at Microsoft but it's the only fix.

Once you are settled into your new user account don't **** with anything too much. That's my best advice.

learningsponge, Sep 5, 2016
  15. Yeah that seems like the only solution. I'm still kinda reluctant to do it because I don't know if it's gonna affect my iPhone backup, so for now that's enough to keep me from migrating files. :/

Thema:

1. Windows Search no longer working after Anniversary Update - Similar Threads - Search longer working

2. Windows Search no longer working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Search no longer working: I cannot do a Windows Search either from the Search icon on the taskbar or from the top of the Start menu. When I start typing search text, the search box just locks up and then the screen disappears. I have tried re-indexing, using the Search troubleshooter, rebooting, etc....
  3. Windows search no longer works after 2004 update

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows search no longer works after 2004 update: Hi. After updating Windows to 2004, Windows search no longer works. Every time I click on the search box on the desktop nothing happens. No cursor, no visual sign that I even clicked on it. I also noticed that Cortana has disappeared from the settings app. Don't know if its...
  4. After update KB4524147 search no longer working

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    After update KB4524147 search no longer working: After installing update KB4524147 search isn't working anymore. After installing an update from september I had the same problem only then the taskbar was not working. I removed that and problem was gone. Now taskbar working except for search. This isn't the problem from...
  5. Codecs no longer working after Anniversary update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Codecs no longer working after Anniversary update: Since the Anniversary update, I cannot play MKVs, MP4s and AVIs. I even installed the latest K-lite & CCCP after this. When I use WMP to play an MP4 for example, the program crashes. VLC plays AVI and MP4, but without sound. Do you have suggestions what I have to configure...
  6. Anniversary Update: Search not working properly

in Windows 10 Support
    Anniversary Update: Search not working properly: After the Anniversary update (version 1607 via Windows Update), Search doesn't work properly. (I have re-started again). If I enter a search term ("Restore") on search bar next to the Start Button I get Best match: "Recovery, Control Panel" at the top of the window, but if I...
  7. Win10 Anniversary "Search" not working

in Windows 10 Support
    Win10 Anniversary "Search" not working: I just noticed that my "Search" function does not work anymore. I press the Start button or the search icon in the taskbar and try to type, but nothing more happens. Any ideas why this might've happened? 66077
  8. Cortana Missing and Search Windows not working after Anniversary Updat

in Windows 10 Support
    Cortana Missing and Search Windows not working after Anniversary Updat: Hello, Title says it all. I can't use the search functionality and Cortana is missing. Is there a way to reinstall it? 66038
  9. No windows Search after Anniversary Upgrade

in Windows 10 Support
    No windows Search after Anniversary Upgrade: After the Anniversary Upgrade (AU), I had no Windows search on my PC. This means that File Explorer could not show anything under OS (C:\), FreeCommander wouldn't even start, I could not download to any file other than a Quick Access file, some desktop icons would not work,...
  10. search won't work in anniversary update of windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    search won't work in anniversary update of windows 10: After the Anniversary update (version 1607 via Windows Update), Search doesn't work properly - i no longer have a search icon in my taskbar. i do have a cortana icon. is this by design? - when i try to key something into where it says "ask me anything", i cannot enter any...