Windows 10: windows search not able to search content of pdf when search more

Discus and support windows search not able to search content of pdf when search more in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Windows search is not able to search the content of pdf files when searching more than 4 digit number. I have pdf files in a folder when I try to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by sam9, May 4, 2017.

1. sam9 Win User

windows search not able to search content of pdf when search more

Windows search is not able to search the content of pdf files when searching more than 4 digit number. I have pdf files in a folder when I try to search a content eg 7349, it shows the files which are having this number but if I increase the digits to one more e.g 73495, the result is blank. I have already indexed these files. There is no problem if text files are searched. Please advise.

I am not searching in open files. I am searching the folder of pdf files.

Add_ It is a domain pc. Is it possible that it could be some policy.

:)

sam9, May 4, 2017

2. "Spyware and Unwanted software Protection". Whats with this notification???

Just got this computer Have not downloaded anything, message has appeared three times.

Triton's Search, May 4, 2017
  3. Error Code 85002028

I just got my Windows Phone 7 - AT&T Samsung. I'm trying to setup Outlook email with my Network Solutions POP email account. Because their mail server's domain and certificate don't match my personal domain, there's a certificate mismatch and I get an
    error. How do I turn off this security check?

When I bypass this by going to their generic URL that matches the certificate, I get Error Code 85002028 - "Your Windows Phone doesn't support this server version. Contact support person or service provider."

This sounds like Microsoft is blocking non-Exchange email servers. Could this be true?

Search Frustrated, May 4, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hello, I'm not absolutely sure which you mean. However- I think you need the solution shown at the end of this post.

1. I think you mean if the text in the pdf file contains 4578, then that text can be found, but 45783 cannot?
    And when you do this, is your search string 4 or 5 characters?

2. How are you searching - are you using search in file explorer, or the Cortana search field?

Please note your post (and the other one) are marked as 'Solved' for some reason.

My initial observation (noting the ifilter in the screenshot below):
    Using file explorer search on a text-based pdf I would agree that numeric strings do not seem to be found as you'd expect. For example, of the string 765 which I added to a file, and which was indexed, 76 was found, but not 765. (I also added 7654 and 76543).

However, when I converted that pdf to txt, the strings were found correctly.

Similarly, text (which could be found in the file when open in an editor) was not found correctly by Windows search. E.g. Amb was found, but not Ambassador, whereas a windows search of the txt file worked.

windows search not able to search content of pdf when search  more [​IMG]

How I fixed this:
    I downloaded a pdf ifilter:
    Adobe - Acrobat : For Windows : PDF iFilter 64 11.0.01
    and installed it

windows search not able to search content of pdf when search  more [​IMG]

dalchina, May 5, 2017
  5. sam9 Win User
    Thanks for taking pain in a solved thread. Actually, I marked it solved because there were some confusions going in my mind. The solution provided by you was already applied by me and it worked in win 10 64 bit. But when I tried to install the mentioned filter in win 7 32 bit, it was incompatible. My win 7 has Adobe DC. while googling I came to know that this problem was because of Adobe DC. When Adobe DC is installed, it removes the ifilter which is already included in Adobe 11 and for 32 bit there is no stand alone ifilter provided by Adobe. Today I uninstalled Adobe DC from my win 7 32 bit and installed Adobe 11 again and wow now no problem in searching more digits. I hope this information may help others also.

: I was searching in file explorer

sam9, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. windows search not able to search content of pdf when search more - Similar Threads - search able search

2. Windows Search not searching contents for certain extensions

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Search not searching contents for certain extensions: Been looking for this for several days.I have a couple of file extensions that Window's search is not searching contents for? .kjb and .kjrIf I change the extention to .txt if finds it based on the contents of the file. I even went so far as to make a copy and change the...
  3. Windows Search not searching contents for certain extensions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Search not searching contents for certain extensions: Been looking for this for several days.I have a couple of file extensions that Window's search is not searching contents for? .kjb and .kjrIf I change the extention to .txt if finds it based on the contents of the file. I even went so far as to make a copy and change the...
  4. Windows Search not searching contents for certain extensions

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. windows 11 file explorer does not search pdf content searches PDF titles and doc content

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows 11 file explorer does not search pdf content searches PDF titles and doc content: Computer is a few weeks old, recently upgraded from Windows 10 to 11. The file explorer search was working properly with Windows 10, and initially with Windows 11.I have another computer with Windows 11 initially installed that does not have this problem.I have deleted and...
  6. windows 11 file explorer does not search pdf content searches PDF titles and doc content

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows 11 file explorer does not search pdf content searches PDF titles and doc content: Computer is a few weeks old, recently upgraded from Windows 10 to 11. The file explorer search was working properly with Windows 10, and initially with Windows 11.I have another computer with Windows 11 initially installed that does not have this problem.I have deleted and...
  7. Search only searching contents in PDF files

Search only searching contents in PDF files: Hello, lately when I use File Explorer to search the contents of my Word documents, the search is not yielding any results apart from PDF files. I have tried every fix and update I have seen in the community and it has not fixed the problem. I'm running Windows 10 and this...
  8. Not able to search for Excel content in Explorer

Not able to search for Excel content in Explorer: We have a file server Windows Server 2012 R2 on which we have files. We have a kind of Terminal Server that runs on Windows Server 2019, here I can search for the share in the explorer in the explorer. https://i.imgur.com/LphqseU.png Indexing Options on Terminal Server:...
  9. What happened to searching pdf contents in Windows Explorer?

What happened to searching pdf contents in Windows Explorer?: For my job, I often have to search a folder full of large pdf files for a specific name. I used to just be able to type the name in the upper right search bar, and it would search the contents of the pdf's for that name/word, and show the pdf's that contained it. Now, when...
  10. Searching PDF's

in Windows 10 Support
    Searching PDF's: Hi, thanks for you help. I do a lot of research for topics in economics and philosophy. Many of the resources that I use are in the public domain. I am trying to find a convenient way to download this documents to my computer and maintain them in a searchable form. One of the...