Windows 10: Windows search not opening folders

Discus and support Windows search not opening folders in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi everyone, Up until a few days ago when I clicked the windows key and typed C:\projects (or any folder) and clicked enter that location would... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by notrosh, Nov 11, 2015.

1. notrosh Win User

Windows search not opening folders

Hi everyone,

Up until a few days ago when I clicked the windows key and typed C:\projects (or any folder) and clicked enter that location would open. This is no longer working and I have no idea why. I can still open applications but I can't open any folder locations. Is there a settings somewhere for this?

UPDATE: After more testing, when I hit the windows key and type C:\projects and hit the enter key....Nothing happens. However if I do the same procedure but instead click on C:\projects with my mouse the folder opens. So it seems only the enter key won't open the folder.

Thanks,

-n

:)

notrosh, Nov 11, 2015

2. Windows 10 Search Bar not opening settings folders "these results may be incomplete.."

Hi Garth,

Not to worry, we will surely assist you with the issue, you are facing.

The issue might be occurring due to any corruption.

Lets follow the below methods to fix the issue.

Method 1: Search index troubleshooter.

In the search box, type troubleshooter, and then click
    Troubleshooting
    . Click View all, and then click
    Search and Indexing

Method 2 : Rebuild search index manually.
    The procedure to rebuild the search index is fairly simple, but Windows 10 might take up to a few hours to complete the rebuilding process depending on a number of factors. If you don’t have any resource intensive tasks planned for the new couple of hours
    continue with the below steps.

1. Open Indexing Options. The easiest way to launch Indexing Options is to type Indexing Options in the Start menu or taskbar search box and then press Enter key.

2. Once the Indexing Options is launched, click the Advanced button to open Advanced Options.

3. Here, under Index Settings tab, under Troubleshooting section, you will see Rebuild button. Click the Rebuild button.

4. You will see the following confirmation box with “Rebuilding the index might take a long time to complete. Some views and search results might be incomplete until rebuilding is finished message” message.

5. Click OK button to let Windows 10 start the rebuilding the search index. Windows 10 might take up to a couple of hours to complete the whole process, but should be done in a couple of minutes in most cases.

Keep us informed with the status of the issue.

Akheel Ahmed, Nov 11, 2015
  3. GarthCook Win User
    Windows 10 Search Bar not opening settings folders "these results may be incomplete.."

I just did a system reset of my Surface Pro4 and after reboot and installation of windows again, my search bar no longer works correctly. I can search for files, but anytime I search for a system function eg "add or remove a program" its says above the options
    "these results may be incomplete.." and if I click on the suggested settings link that should take meto the settings panel to it just goes to a blank settings page that says "search results arn't quite ready yet, try again in a few minutes"

Is there anything I m supposed to do after a system reboot to get this to work? why can't it just reboot to the same state as when i got it out of the box...

Cheers

GarthCook, Nov 11, 2015
  4. Brack Win User

I had never tried to do this before, however this is how my Windows 10 system functions as well. Is it possible this changed in an update and this is simply working as intended.

Brack, Nov 11, 2015
  5. notrosh Win User
    I'm not sure if this is what was intended. I simply wish it would continue to function with the ENTER key.

Thanks,

-n

notrosh, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows search not opening folders - Similar Threads - search opening folders

2. windows search not working/opening

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows search not working/opening: Hello, I've been having problems with my Windows search. Every time I try to open it, it closes.When I click the search icon, it appears for a few milliseconds, then shuts if I try to write anything and closes if I don't....
  3. How to get folders to open in a new window ONLY in search

in Cortana
    How to get folders to open in a new window ONLY in search: Hello,Is there anyway to make folders open in a new window by default ONLY when using search in file explorer?I remember in XP there was a separate search tool, when you would search your PC it would give you a list of results much like in Windows 10 but double clicking on...
  4. Windows Search doesn't close after opening a folder

in Cortana
    Windows Search doesn't close after opening a folder: When I open a folder from Windows Search by searching for it and pressing Enter, the folder opens in an Explorer window but Windows Search doesn't close itself I have to close it manually by click anywhere on the screen. If you search for a folder in your computer and...
  5. Excluding folders in Windows Search

in Windows 10 Support
    Excluding folders in Windows Search: Hi, I'd like to set Windows Search so that the search only searches within the user's C:\Users folder. Alternatively, I'd be happy if the Search searched the whole PC, but excluded the ability to search within other users' folders. I tried setting the Find My Files setting...
  6. Windows search doesn't open

in Cortana
    Windows search doesn't open: My Windows installation got lately corrupt. I performed a clean install and Windows works now just fine. But Windows search no longer opens. The troubleshooting application says that the search folder has incorrect permissions. Chkdsk, sfc nor dism could fix the problem. What...
  7. Windows folder search bar

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows folder search bar: Hello, After recent Windows update I cannot normally use windows folder search because its bar is too short, even in maximized window. 1. Search bar view before starting using search: [ATTACH] 2. Search bar view when typing in search box cannot see what I'm typing,...
  8. Searching folders

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Searching folders: When I search a folder for a word or number, I get one or more files. When I search for exactly the same word or number in the file, I sometimes get a NOT FOUND result. How is that? Am I doping something wrong?...
  9. Searches Folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Searches Folder: Under pc>user there is a folder called "searches." There are two sub folders under searchers called 'everywhere' an 'indexed locations.' There is over 128,000 items in everywhere. Is it safe to delete either of this sub folders contents? 90039
  10. Windows 10 Search will not open

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Search will not open: Hello, Today my windows search window will not even open. When you click on it nothing happens. Even trying to open search from the windows button does not work. I don't even see the search in the task manager. But in services windows search is running. Any Ideas. Thank...