Windows 10: Windows Search Service Terminated

Discus and support Windows Search Service Terminated in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Basic problem is slow start-up and very slow opening files and programs. Here is history of the computer... Original OS was Windows 7 Windows 7... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Ron6962, Aug 18, 2016.

1. Ron6962 Win User

Windows Search Service Terminated

Basic problem is slow start-up and very slow opening files and programs. Here is history of the computer...
    • Original OS was Windows 7
    • Windows 7 upgraded to Windows 10, all worked OK
    • Windows 10 updated with Anniversary Update, problem began
    I first looked in the System Log Event Viewer and found dozens of red errors titled as "The Windows Search Service terminated with the following service-specific error: %%2388525884" The error test and the error code is the same for dozens of times, and seems to grow with more use of the computer. Here is what I have tried so far...
    • Ran SFC SCANNOW, no help
    • Ran CHKDSK, no help
    • Tried a Repair of Windows 10, would not repair, except for clean install
      Googled the error and found nothing of help
    I am at a loss as to what to try next, and really don't want to have to do a clean install, so any advice is appreciated.

:)

Ron6962, Aug 18, 2016
  2. SirSurfer Win User

Can't search my stuff. "Something went wrong"; Can only search web, not desktop or computer

The following errors over and over in Event Viewer:

The Windows Search service terminated with the following error:

The system cannot find the drive specified.

The Windows Search Service has failed to create the new search index. Internal error <8, 0x8007000f, Failed to find Gather Application: Windows>.

The Windows Search Service is starting up and attempting to remove the old search index {Reason: Full Index Reset}.

The Windows Search service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 34 time(s).

SirSurfer, Aug 18, 2016
  3. Search Service terminated with the following error: Access is denied

Hi Chris,

Thank you for your response with the current status of the issue.

To assist you better, please provide us the below information:

• Have you created any System Restore point on the computer?
    • Have you logged in as Administrator Account?
    • When you say that "I get script errors", what is the exact error message"?

Reply to us with the information, so that we can assist you better.

Let us know if you need any further assistance on Windows related issues and we will be glad to help.

Nyima Yonten, Aug 18, 2016
  4. Ron6962 Win User

Curious why no replies....has no one else seen this issue?

Ron6962, Aug 20, 2016
  5. Qwinn Win User
    You're only giving us a small piece of the event log error. Adding things like the Event ID and any description of what the error is would be helpful.

I haven't been getting that particular error. Instead I'm getting these every so often (if I leave the Windows Search Service on):

Event 3104:
    Enumerating user sessions to generate filter pools failed.Details:
    (HRESULT : 0x80040210) (0x80040210)

It's annoying enough that I've just disabled the Windows Search service for now until they fix it. I know it's not only me, a lot of others are reporting that error since the Anniversary update.

Qwinn, Aug 20, 2016
  6. topgundcp Win User
    To be honest, Windows search is one of the first service I disable after every Windows Install and use a third party search engine instead.
    Having said that, since you upgraded from 7 -> 10 - > 10 AU. The Windows Search database might be corrupted. Look under: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Search\Data\Applications\Windows. The database file is Windows.edb. With Windows Search service disabled, delete this file, re-enable Windows Search service and let Windows rebuild the database.

topgundcp, Aug 20, 2016
  7. Ron6962 Win User
    Qwinn.....Sorry if I wasn't giving enough info...thought the error code would be sufficient. the event ID is 10016 which appears to be a common one and not much help defining my situation. I will look for more info. Tha nks for the reply.

Ron6962, Aug 20, 2016
  8. Ron6962 Win User

Topgundcp....thanks so much for the suggestion...I will give it a try as soon as I can (it's another PC) and report back.

Ron6962, Aug 20, 2016
  9. Qwinn Win User
    10016 is a permissions error that is actually quite fixable. Can you post the entire event log error when you get back to that PC?

Qwinn, Aug 20, 2016
  10. Ron6962 Win User
    Sorry, my confusion, the 10016 error is a Dcom error I am also having. The Windows Search errors are 7024 and 7034. The content is below...
    Log Name: System
    Source: Service Control Manager
    Date: 8/17/2016 11:20:28 PM
    Event ID: 7024
    Task Category: None
    Level: Error
    Keywords: Classic
    User: N/A
    Computer: DESKTOP-QREDL07
    Description:
    The Windows Search service terminated with the following service-specific error:
    %%2388525584
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
    <System>
    <Provider Name="Service Control Manager" Guid="{555908d1-a6d7-4695-8e1e-26931d2012f4}" EventSourceName="Service Control Manager" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="49152">7024</EventID>
    <Version>0</Version>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>0</Task>
    <Opcode>0</Opcode>
    <Keywords>0x8080000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2016-08-18T03:20:28.836353100Z" />
    <EventRecordID>1988</EventRecordID>
    <Correlation />
    <Execution ProcessID="944" ThreadID="2116" />
    <Channel>System</Channel>
    <Computer>DESKTOP-QREDL07</Computer>
    <Security />
    </System>
    <EventData>
    <Data Name="param1">Windows Search</Data>
    <Data Name="param2">%%2388525584</Data>
    <Binary>57005300650061007200630068000000</Binary>
    </EventData>
    </Event>

Log Name: System
    Source: Service Control Manager
    Date: 8/17/2016 11:20:28 PM
    Event ID: 7034
    Task Category: None
    Level: Error
    Keywords: Classic
    User: N/A
    Computer: DESKTOP-QREDL07
    Description:
    The Windows Search service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 105 time(s).
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
    <System>
    <Provider Name="Service Control Manager" Guid="{555908d1-a6d7-4695-8e1e-26931d2012f4}" EventSourceName="Service Control Manager" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="49152">7034</EventID>
    <Version>0</Version>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>0</Task>
    <Opcode>0</Opcode>
    <Keywords>0x8080000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2016-08-18T03:20:28.836353100Z" />
    <EventRecordID>1989</EventRecordID>
    <Correlation />
    <Execution ProcessID="944" ThreadID="3036" />
    <Channel>System</Channel>
    <Computer>DESKTOP-QREDL07</Computer>
    <Security />
    </System>
    <EventData>
    <Data Name="param1">Windows Search</Data>
    <Data Name="param2">105</Data>
    <Binary>57005300650061007200630068000000</Binary>
    </EventData>
    </Event>

Ron6962, Aug 20, 2016
  11. Ron6962 Win User
    topgundcp....thank you so much! This appears to have fixed my Windows Search error, and now my folders also open very quickly again. wow! Such an easy fix after hours of searching....sure seems MS would be on to this. Thanks again!

Ron6962, Aug 21, 2016
  12. gtspeck Win User
    You got that right. This error is a headache for a lot of people and no one has a solution, just work arounds.*Sick

gtspeck, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows Search Service Terminated - Similar Threads - Search Service Terminated

2. Windows Audio Service terminated unexpectedly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Audio Service terminated unexpectedly: Acer Nitro 5 with Windows 11 Os Build 22621.2070Windows does not detect any input or output audio devices. No test sounds are able to be played and no devices are available to enable/disable. On the Windows Event Viewer, I am seeing and error with Event ID 7031:Text: The...
  3. Windows Audio Service terminated unexpectedly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Audio Service terminated unexpectedly: Acer Nitro 5 with Windows 11 Os Build 22621.2070Windows does not detect any input or output audio devices. No test sounds are able to be played and no devices are available to enable/disable. On the Windows Event Viewer, I am seeing and error with Event ID 7031:Text: The...
  4. Windows Defender Antivirus Service service terminated

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender Antivirus Service service terminated: Hello, I have problem with Windows Defender on Windows 10 Home (20H2 version). I'm still getting this error in Event Viewer: The Windows Defender Antivirus Service service terminated with the following error: General access denied error I already tried to use sfc /scannow...
  5. Windows Defender Antivirus Service service terminated in Event Viewer

Windows Defender Antivirus Service service terminated in Event Viewer: Hello, I have problem with Windows Defender on Windows 10 Home 20H2 version with all updates installed. I'm still getting this error in Event Viewer: The Windows Defender Antivirus Service service terminated with the following error: General access denied error Event 7023...
  6. [Question] How to search for Windows Terminal?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    [Question] How to search for Windows Terminal?: Searching for Windows gives me Windows Update Settings and searching for Terminal gives me Command Prompt. I don't wanna type the full word every single time I wanna launch it. https://i.imgur.com/IWH3BxS.png submitted by /u/parvinderandroid [link] [comments]...
  7. The Windows Defender Antivirus Service service terminated with the following error:...

The Windows Defender Antivirus Service service terminated with the following error:...: The threat service keeps stopping a couple of minutes after the system has booted. I attempt to restart it I get an unexpected error occured dialog The following error is logged in the Event Viewer,,, The Windows Defender Antivirus Service service terminated with the...
  8. "The SB Recon3D Service service terminated unexpectedly"

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    "The SB Recon3D Service service terminated unexpectedly": Hi, It seems update 1903 broke my Gigabyte G1.Sniper 5 builtin Creative sound card. It's now randomly crashing several times a day, which is getting extremely annoying. I asked both Creative and Gigabyte support for this, both don't care at all and just blame Microsoft....
  9. Windows Connection Manager service terminates

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Connection Manager service terminates: I work in an enterprise environment and I have three Dell Precision 5530 Windows 10 Enterprise laptops that all have the same problem. When I connect the laptop to the domain, the Ethernet adapter will disable itself after about 1 minute. If I remove the laptop from the...
  10. Windows Search service terminated unexpectedly

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Search service terminated unexpectedly: Also Windows search service has failed to create the new search index Failed to find gather Application: Windows Windows Search service terminated wit the following error: The system cannot find the drive specified. I am getting these errors in the Event Viewer Windows...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. The Windows Search service terminated with the following service-specific error:

2. Serach service is terminating

3. the windows firewall service terminated with the following service-specific error windows 2016

4. windows search service terminated,
  5. windows search service terminated unexpectedly 7024,
  6. The Windows Search service terminated unexpectedly.,
  7. the windows search service terminated with the following service-specific error: %%2147749123 windows 10