Windows 10: Windows search service won't start after fall creators update

Discus and support Windows search service won't start after fall creators update in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I can't get the service to start at all. I keep receiving this error. It is causing indexing to not work either. I tried the indexing troubleshooter... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by bobsagetfullhou, Oct 16, 2017.

1. Windows search service won't start after fall creators update

I can't get the service to start at all. I keep receiving this error. It is causing indexing to not work either. I tried the indexing troubleshooter with no luck. Any recommendations?

Windows search service won't start after fall creators update [​IMG]

:)

bobsagetfullhou, Oct 16, 2017

2. Windows Defender: Pop-up saying virus and spyware couldn't be updated

You won't be able to avoid the Fall Creators Update just like you weren't able to avoid the first Creators Update or the Anniversary Update. [1]

WaaS [Windows as a Service] in a Nutshell

#WaasInANutshell

Quick guide to Windows as a Service [WaaS]

Quick guide to Windows as a service (Windows 10)

==============================================

[1] ...or the Spanish Inquisition! <wink>

PA Bear - MS MVP, Oct 16, 2017
  3. UBerlin Win User
    Fall creator component services

Hi!

When I installed the Fall Creator Update I notice that start menu and search did not work.

I find out it was because I had the Defult Authentication Level in the Component Services set to None.

If I set it to Default instead the start menu and search worked.

The reason for setting the level to None is an application that need this setting.

This was not a problem before Fall Creator Update.

Now to my question.

Is there a way to get around this problem?

The application is very important but so is the Windows functions.

Uffe

UBerlin, Oct 16, 2017
  4. bro67 Win User

Windows search service won't start after fall creators update

You have multiple threads and you are stating that you are an Insider. Does not surprise anyone that a Alpha release that is for testing purposes is having issues. Windows 10 is a ongoing Beta OS that is constantly getting updates after each major release.

bro67, Oct 16, 2017
  5. I'm on the stable build of 16299.19 which went out to the general public today. I'm no longer on the insider ring. I even did an upgrade (repair) install of this stable build and problem still persists.

bobsagetfullhou, Oct 17, 2017
  6. topgundcp Win User
    After major update, the Windows Search database might be corrupted. Open "Folder Options" and check mark on "Show hidden files..." and uncheck "Hide protected operating ..." then look under: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Search\Data\Applications\Windows. The windows search database file is Windows.edb, delete this file, re-boot and check if Windows Search is enabled.
    Note: Windows will rebuild the database from scratch, will take a while but will run smoother.

topgundcp, Oct 17, 2017
  7. I was able to delete the one file, and as soon as I delete it the file is recreated right away, as I can tell by the date created being that second. I then went to try and turn back on the windows search service but I get the same error.

8. bro67 Win User

Regardless, you are still going to be dealing with issues when every new release is pushed out right away. You are dealing with a Beta OS that Microsoft is constantly patching after they send out a new Service Pack. It has been expected with Windows 10, that it will never get through the problems as Microsoft continues to treat it as some Beta OS. It would be wise to wait at least 30 days after a new push is done, so that patches are issued if you are using Windows 10 as your regular OS. Especially with the new Man in the Middle attack for WPA2 that Microsoft is always slow to get those fixes out.

bro67, Oct 17, 2017
  9. topgundcp Win User
    If Windows search service is running, you won't be able to delete Windows.edb. Try to disable the service first then delete Windows.edb, reboot then enable it again.

topgundcp, Oct 17, 2017
  10. Windows search service is not running. That's what I'm trying to fix so that it starts running. *Smile

I was just saying that I was able to delete the file, but it immediately recreated itself after I did, even with the windows search service disabled.

11. bro67 Win User
    I would suggest rolling it back and waiting thirty days. If you do not have a backup, you are going to have to deal with the issue until Microsoft pushes it out with their repairs by next Tuesday, which is how these things go.

Always wait thirty days and do not push these updates, especially huge changes like this.

bro67, Oct 17, 2017
  12. topgundcp Win User
    I am confused. Windows Search Service is the one that creates Windows.edb, if disabled, there's no way to create this file.

Try this link to see if it helps:
    How to Fix Microsoft Windows Search Indexer Stopped Working and Was Closed

topgundcp, Oct 17, 2017
  13. Windows search service won't start after fall creators update

I don't know what's happening then. See the image in my original post. It says windows could not start the search service.

14. bro67 Win User
    Did you look in the link that you were given for troubleshooting? If not, it has been pointed out also that there are going to be issues with a new version of Windows or any Operating System when major changes are made. A lot of legacy items are being removed with some items being downgraded in Microsoft's announcement.

bro67, Oct 18, 2017
  15. Just looked at that. Unfortunately I tried all those things with no luck. Maybe I will just wait a month and see if they release a fix, but none of my other 2 PCs are having issues.

bobsagetfullhou, Oct 18, 2017
Thema:

1. Windows search service won't start after fall creators update - Similar Threads - search service won't

2. Fall creators update.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Fall creators update.: How do i stop or block this virus you call the fall creators update, 3 times this year it's uploaded itself onto my computer and every time i've had to revert to the previous build. Each time it installs itself i loose 3-4 hours of work time because i can't use my computer,...
  3. windows creators fall update

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    windows creators fall update: Hey.i was just wondering.how come I haven't got the new creators fall update???I went to download it manually but on the website there only is the creators original update 95658
  4. INetCookies after Fall Creators Update...

in Browsers and Email
    INetCookies after Fall Creators Update...: Sorry if this is the wrong forum, but I thought it was more browser than OS related. Anyway, after last week's v1709 update, CCleaner has been deleting a file it never used to. C:\Users\UserId\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCookies\deprecated.cookie It shows up...
  5. BSOD after Fall Creators update, 0x000000c8

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD after Fall Creators update, 0x000000c8: Hello. I'm having BSODs and other problems like start menu not working after upgrading to v1709. The strange thing is that BSODs occur only when pc turns on, meaning no BSOD when I restart. I even tried a clean install from different 1709 .ISO and still getting BSODs....
  6. Mouse lag after fall creators update

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Mouse lag after fall creators update: After installing the last big fall creators update, I'm getting mouse lag, not only in games but also inside of windows. The mouse will sort of pause when I mouse over things that might highlight in windows. I already reinstalled the Logitech software, and I updated the...
  7. Fall Creators Update

in Windows 10 Support
    Fall Creators Update: Has anyone installed it yet? If so did it break anything for you? Debating If I should update or not. 95662
  8. fall creator update

fall creator update: Is there a general chart which might give info on when i would get fcu. I went from 7 to 10 just a couple weeks before free 10 stopped. 97324
  9. Fall Creators Update

Fall Creators Update: I just bit the bullet and went to Microsoft site and tried to install it. It hung up stuck on 24% and stayed there for an hour so I pulled the plug and it has gone back to the previous version. Now what? 99881
  10. Fall Creators Update

in Windows 10 Support
    Fall Creators Update: I work for a company that has about 200 desktop and laptop running Windows 10 (most are HP's)on our own domain and after the fall creators update, we have experienced Unauthenticated network messages as well as download issues in all browsers (Edge, IE 11, Chrome, Firefox)....