Windows 10: Windows search stopped working, wont rebuild index

Discus and support Windows search stopped working, wont rebuild index in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I foolishly got some viruses a few days ago. I cleaned it all out I think with malwarebytes and hitman pro, but one problem remains that windows search... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by theridon, Aug 12, 2018.

1. theridon Win User

Windows search stopped working, wont rebuild index

I foolishly got some viruses a few days ago. I cleaned it all out I think with malwarebytes and hitman pro, but one problem remains that windows search will not find any files. It finds programs like Steam, Firefox, etc and windows functions just fine but it won't find ANY actual files (i.e. word documents).

When I open indexing options, I get this blank slate and it becomes completely unresponsive, I can't even open up advanced options. Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Tried so far: Indexing trouble shooter, sfc /scannow found no problems, Used bat file to rebuild index here Rebuild Search Index in Windows 10

I'd like to figure this out without having to reinstall windows. Thanks Windows search stopped working, wont rebuild index :)

:)

theridon, Aug 12, 2018
  2. Arun B J Win User

Windows 10 Windows Search / Indexing Stops Completing

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve this issue.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps

• Press Windows key + R.
    • Type Services.msc In the search box.
    • Select Windows Search
    • Restart the services and set the service as Automatic
    If the issue persist try performing Rebuilding Index again.

To rebuild the index follow the steps below:

• Open the Control Panel from the Start menu.
    • Open Indexing Options in the Control Panel.
    • Select the Advanced button in the Indexing Options window.
    • Select Rebuild in the Troubleshooting section of the Advanced Options window.
    • Select OK when it asks if you’re sure you want to re-build the search index.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help

Arun B J, Aug 12, 2018
  3. Windows 10 Search Stops Working

I am also having difficulties with the "search the web and Windows" bar next to the windows start button, your solution here "
    I suggest you try rebuilding the index and check if issue is resolved. To rebuild all the index, kindly follow the below given steps:

• Press Windows key, type Indexing and hit enter.
    • Click on Advanced button.
    • Click Rebuild under Troubleshooting section and click OK.
    • Try searching and see if issue is fixed." WILL NOT WORK as when I type in that search bar all I get is an empty white box.

KatNashRamblerkat, Aug 12, 2018
  4. Windows search stopped working, wont rebuild index

Windows Search/Indexing Stops Working - Can't Rebuild

After initially starting my computer, Windows Search seems to function correctly. After a while it stops responding at all. I am unable to enter the indexing options from control panel to rebuild the index (nothing happens when I click on it). I attempted to restart the Windows Search service via services.msc, but am greeted with the message "Windows could not stop the Windows Search service on Local Computer. Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion". What can I do?

whitebloodcell, Aug 12, 2018
Thema:

Windows search stopped working, wont rebuild index

1. Windows search stopped working, wont rebuild index - Similar Threads - search stopped working

2. Windows Search Index rebuild time

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Search Index rebuild time: Microsoft Windows Search Indexer was taking up unusually high CPU and power output on my windows 11 laptop. On an online forum, I read that if restarting the service doesn't work the best way is to rebuild the entire index.Now it's been almost 3 days since the search index...
  3. Windows Search Index rebuild time

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Search Index rebuild time: Microsoft Windows Search Indexer was taking up unusually high CPU and power output on my windows 11 laptop. On an online forum, I read that if restarting the service doesn't work the best way is to rebuild the entire index.Now it's been almost 3 days since the search index...
  4. How to rebuild search index.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to rebuild search index.: A while ago I deleted the search index in hopes that it would make folders contents load faster. It didn't, so I want to rebuild the index so that I can use the search feature. When I open the Indexing options, nothing is listed under Included Locations at all...
  5. How to rebuild search index.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to rebuild search index.: A while ago I deleted the search index in hopes that it would make folders contents load faster. It didn't, so I want to rebuild the index so that I can use the search feature. When I open the Indexing options, nothing is listed under Included Locations at all...
  6. How to rebuild search index.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Index Rebuild Won't Stop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Index Rebuild Won't Stop: Hi, I cannot get my index rebuild to stop. It was rebuilding for 12+ hours overnight and got to 342,112 files. It got stuck at that number and would not increase so I modified the indexing to only one of the folders it was originally indexing. This made the files amount...
  8. Windows Search Service wont start, Index fails to rebuild

in Cortana
    Windows Search Service wont start, Index fails to rebuild: I go the same problem as here, but nothing in the thread helped: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-search-service-wont-start-index-fails-to/e651a51d-0264-432c-a8e8-830f630242c3?page=2 I tried every single suggestion that I could find out there,...
  9. Windows Search/Indexing Stops Working - Can't Rebuild

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Search/Indexing Stops Working - Can't Rebuild: After initially starting my computer, Windows Search seems to function correctly. After a while it stops responding at all. I am unable to enter the indexing options from control panel to rebuild the index (nothing happens when I click on it). I attempted to restart the...
  10. Rebuild Search Index in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Rebuild Search Index in Windows 10: How to: Rebuild Search Index in Windows 10 How to Reset and Rebuild Search Index in Windows 10 By default, Windows will use the file properties, and file contents you want indexed. The index uses the Windows Search service and runs as the Searchindexer.exe process in...