Windows 10: Windows search won't find certain files

Discus and support Windows search won't find certain files in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm having a strange issue with Windows search. I have a folder with dozens of articles saved in PDF format. If I open the folder and use the search... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by pjfarr, Jun 22, 2018.

1. pjfarr Win User

Windows search won't find certain files

I'm having a strange issue with Windows search.

I have a folder with dozens of articles saved in PDF format. If I open the folder and use the search bar to find a particular file by name it shows zero results. If I navigate to the immediate outer folder in which the article folder is stored and perform the same search, the results come up. If I go one more folder up, again no results. No results either searching from the taskbar.

This also happens with folders containing EPUB files.

Checked the indexing options and the folder is included. The index file has also been re-indexed.

What the—?

:)

pjfarr, Jun 22, 2018

2. Trouble with search bar (won´t find data)

Hi,

Thank you for being a part of Windows 10 Insider Preview.

I appreciate you for providing details about the issue and we are glad to assist you.

Try the following methods and check if it helps:

Method 1:

I suggest you to run the search and indexing troubleshooter and check if it helps.

Follow the below steps:

• Right click on the Start button and click on Control Panel.
    • Click on the Indexing Options.
    • Click on the Troubleshoot search and indexing.

If the issue persists then follow the below method.

Method 2:

Try to run a System File Checker (SFC) scan to check for any file corruption. SFC scan will scan for corrupt system files on the computer and repair them.

Follow the below steps:

• Windows key + X, click Command Prompt (Admin).
    • Command Prompt, type the following command, and then press
      ENTER
      :
    sfc /scannow

Reference: Refer to the following Microsoft article on
    Windows 10 help & how-to

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/support

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Harshavardhan Rathod, Jun 22, 2018
  3. Frank1000 Win User
    Search in certain files

Hi,
    how can i search within the content of only certain files ?

Also, is there a page that contains the list for all Win10 search functions ? I'm looking it up since 30 minutes but can't find anything.

I need to seach the term blabla in all .doc files, how is that syntaxed in the Win-Explorer search. Seems its nothing like it was in previous win8 version.

Thx,
    Frank

Frank1000, Jun 22, 2018
  4. tops Win User

Skype won´t wok in 17063

Skype Won´t work... games won´t work...

Making backup and re-format...

Maybe I Install a Windows 7 again, At least, all of my games run smoothly ...Sadness!!

*Banghead

Thema:

1. Windows search won't find certain files - Similar Threads - search won't find

2. Windows Search not working for certain files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Search not working for certain files: Hello, i am having a problem with the Windows search function.It does not seem to find any Guitar Pro files like .gp, .gp3, etc.I have checked in the search index settings that the files are included and have tried rebuilding the index multiple times and with different...
  3. Windows Search not finding certain files anymore Search Bar

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Search not finding certain files anymore Search Bar: Since somewhen last week, or at most two weeks, the Windows Search, when executed over the Search Bar, doeesn't find certain files anymore. Searching over the Windows Explorer still does find themThree of these examples, all of which are somewhere in a subfolder of \Users\......
  4. Windows Search not finding certain files anymore Search Bar

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Search not finding certain files anymore Search Bar: Since somewhen last week, or at most two weeks, the Windows Search, when executed over the Search Bar, doeesn't find certain files anymore. Searching over the Windows Explorer still does find themThree of these examples, all of which are somewhere in a subfolder of \Users\......
  5. Windows Search not finding certain files anymore Search Bar

6. Windows Search Won't Find Recent Files

in Cortana
    Windows Search Won't Find Recent Files: Hi all. Suddenly when I search a folder and all subfolders for *.* or *.odt it won't find them based on date modified but instead based on date created. Very unhelpful. This doesn't appear to be the case for other filetypes. Not only that but search WILL find them on a thumb...
  7. Windows Search Won't Find Recent Files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Search Won't Find Recent Files: Hi all. Suddenly when I search a folder and all subfolders for *.* or *.odt it won't find them based on date modified but instead based on date created. Very unhelpful. This doesn't appear to be the case for other filetypes. Not only that but search WILL find them on a thumb...
  8. Windows Search Won't Find Recent Files

9. windows search cant find certain apps

windows search cant find certain apps: So when i use windows search for some reason when i type control panel or run neither of them appear anymore. I was having a issue with search before and rebuild the index could that have had a effect on it. 12805
  10. Search in certain files

in Windows 10 Support
    Search in certain files: Hi, how can i search within the content of only certain files ? Also, is there a page that contains the list for all Win10 search functions ? I'm looking it up since 30 minutes but can't find anything. I need to seach the term blabla in all .doc files, how is that...