Windows 10: Windows Security. Allow user access only to subfolder and not root

Discus and support Windows Security. Allow user access only to subfolder and not root in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I've tried to search about this there and here, but hadn't found a solution. SITUATION I have a following folders structure: root ----|A ----|B... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by gacuxz, Oct 1, 2017.

1. gacuxz Win User

Windows Security. Allow user access only to subfolder and not root

I've tried to search about this there and here, but hadn't found a solution.

SITUATION
    I have a following folders structure:
    root
    ----|A
    ----|B
    --------|B1
    --------|B2
    ----|C
    I need to give permission for user to access only folder B2 and deny access to any root folders. I want to lock user inside this folder.

WORKAROUND
    After reading this, I almost achieved it doing these two steps:
    • I gave the only "Traverse Folder/Execute File" permission for desired user to root folder and forced this permission to all subfolders.
    • I disabled inheritance for folder B2 and gave "Full control" permission for desired user.
    In this way user can't access root folder's content, but can access B2 folder directly through direct link or shortcut.

PROBLEM
    The problem is that user can get one directory "up" from his folder and see root folder B with subfolder B1 along with B2. He can even go inside B1 directory and see all files inside. Although he can't access main root folder root - Windows shows "Access denied" error. Windows Security was always very messy but now I'm out of ideas.

:)

gacuxz, Oct 1, 2017
  2. leedacey Win User

Subfolder permissions

I am the only user and administrator for my desktop. I have an external HDD that I use for phot and video storage instead of my desktop hard drive. I have suddenly lost permission rights to the picture subfolder. If I go to Properties, security and try
    to change permissions there is only one user and they do not have write access. The option to add a user is not available. the option is light grey. The root directory above this sub folder is fine; the sister subfolders at peer level are fine. I have heard
    this is a common windows 10 problem. It is very frustrating.

leedacey, Oct 1, 2017
  3. gerstebad Win User
    How to allow creation of subfolders/files but disallow renaming the folder itself

Hi!

With a certain folder I want to allow creation of subfolders/files but disallow renaming the folder itself.

What I tried:

Allow for subfolders and files, only: Full access.

And:

1) Allow for folder, only: 'Read, Execute' + 'Show folder content' + 'Read' + 'Write'.

Result: The user can create subfolders and files (ok), but also can rename the folder itself (not ok).

2) Allow for folder, only: 'Read, Execute' + 'Show folder content' + 'Read' + 'Write', except 'Write attributes' or 'Write advanced attributes'.

Result: The user cannot rename the folder itself (ok), he can create subfolders (ok), but he cannot create files (not ok).

How can I prevent the folder itself from being renamed, while subfolders and files can be created?

Thank you for any useful hints in advance!

Kind regards,

Gerald

gerstebad, Oct 1, 2017
  4. Windows Security. Allow user access only to subfolder and not root

TairikuOkami, Oct 1, 2017
  5. gacuxz Win User
    Thank you, TairikuOkami.

PROBLEM
    It works in your case, but at the time I didn't realize that my folders are CIFS shares in NAS (Network Access Storage). NAS has UNIX-like OS so looks like the file system and security descriptors are entirely different from Windows. And in my case with your solution user can't access subfolder B2 directly - I get Access is denied.

WORKAROUND
    I can achieve your result in my case with "Traverse Folder/Execute File" security option for root and all subfolders enabled, as I described in my first post. But in this case user can't access only root folder's contents. All other subfolders in different level can be accessed. It's interesting, that user still can access the B folder even if I disable inheritance of B and entirely remove user from the list.

CONCLUSION
    NAS and Windows Security systems between themselves do not work properly. At this point I'm curious how they managed this to work at all... *Smile

gacuxz, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Windows Security. Allow user access only to subfolder and not root

1. Windows Security. Allow user access only to subfolder and not root - Similar Threads - Security Allow user

2. Windows Security will not allow access to my passwords?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Security will not allow access to my passwords?: Windows Security will not allow access to my passwords, on Edge or Chrome , nor will it allow me to to turn it off in Chrome. When logging onto windows the windows security works fine, it only seems to be an issue when trying to access any of the passwords on both internet...
  3. Windows Security will not allow access to my passwords?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Security will not allow access to my passwords?: Windows Security will not allow access to my passwords, on Edge or Chrome , nor will it allow me to to turn it off in Chrome. When logging onto windows the windows security works fine, it only seems to be an issue when trying to access any of the passwords on both internet...
  4. Windows Security will not allow access to my passwords?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. how to grant access to different users for different subfolders?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    how to grant access to different users for different subfolders?: Hi everyone,Is there a way to give access to multiple users to different subfolders all at once? or automatically?Here's the situation I'm facing: I have 500 users and 500 subfolders for them in our drive, and I need to give each one of them access to their folder only to...
  6. Unknown user ? in Windows root

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Unknown user ? in Windows root: Hello, I have had a problem with a nasty virus on my computer a month ago and had it fixed by re-installing Windows 10 and resetting my computer completely. Now I seem to be having some of the same problems before I got completely shut out of my computer and I noticed...
  7. Install WindowsApps into subfolder instead of root?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Install WindowsApps into subfolder instead of root?: [ATTACH] Due to lack of storage, i have collected quite a few drives in my system over the years. Whats annoying about that is, when ever i install a single windowsapp (mostly games due to their increasing size) on a drive, Windows clutters the root directory full with...
  8. Registry. Write access lost to the c:\Users folder and subfolders.

in Windows 10 Support
    Registry. Write access lost to the c:\Users folder and subfolders.: Dear all, The error described below occurred only after I had used regedit. I messed up the uninstall (I had to use rmdir/s) of a compiler (Delphi), and the only way out thereafter, was to use regedit. All keys that referred to that compiler --- certainly numerous --- were...
  9. adding user but only allowing to access certain programs

in Windows 10 Customization
    adding user but only allowing to access certain programs: It seems when I Bing this that there are ways but I'm not easily finding the answers. I want to allow a 2nd user on my computer but not give them access to all of my files or programs. Basically there are 3 programs they would need to use. One is Adobe and the other 2 are...
  10. Allow write access to C:/ root

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Allow write access to C:/ root: Even though I am administrator on my PC, I do not have write access to C:/. (Win 10 Pro) Has anyone else had this problem, or does anyone know of a fix? Thanks 10905

Users found this page by searching for:

1. subfolder access only