Windows 10: Windows Smartscreen not so cool

Discus and support Windows Smartscreen not so cool in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi people. I have found today that I wasn't able to update Filezilla FTP client because Smartscreen kept asking me for a non existing password for... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by eLPuSHeR, Aug 25, 2015.

1. eLPuSHeR Win User

Windows Smartscreen not so cool

Hi people.

I have found today that I wasn't able to update Filezilla FTP client because Smartscreen kept asking me for a non existing password for my Administrator account. Clicking on the "install anyway" button did nothing.

I had to completely disable Smartscreen for this to work, although I re-enabled it later.

What gives? It seems Microsoft doesn't even know what Filezilla is... *Rolleyes

:)

eLPuSHeR, Aug 25, 2015

2. SmartScreen not so smart.

Hi,

I would like to inform that Windows SmartScreen helps keep your PC safe by checking downloaded files and web content within apps to help protect you from malicious software and potentially unsafe web content. Before an unknown or potentially
    unsafe downloaded file is opened, Windows will display a warning. If SmartScreen detects potentially unsafe web content in an app, Windows will display a warning in place of the content. To disable SmartScreen, follow the steps below:

• Type SmartScreen settings in the Search box and press Enter.
    • Click on Change Windows SmartScreen Settings in the left navigation pane.
    • Select the option, Don't do anything (turn off Windows SmartScreen) and click on OK.

If you would like to develop a program, then suggest you to post your query in MSDN forums in the link provided below:

Msdn forums - Visual Studio General Questions

Hope the information provided is helpful. Feel free to write to us for any other assistance with Windows, we'll be glad to assist you.

Eeshwar Kumar, Aug 25, 2015
  3. kiwe2000 Win User
    SmartScreen not so smart.

I've just downloaded an .exe file twice.

• Once it got downloaded via some (native) Windows tool in a batch script and excecuted right away! Called from the .bat script.
    • Then, I've downloaded the same file, via Chrome. When I clicked to excecute that file in ~/Downloads, SmartScreen popped up and told me it had protected my PC from something.
    It doesn't make any sense, does it? I feel like the script just excecuting something from the Internet (without me knowing) is quite a bit worse than me deliberately clicking on an .exe I've just downloaded from GitHub, or sometimes recent builds from AppVeyor
    or whatever. Both are fairly legitimate sources for code and excecutables (imo) and I download stuff from those all the time. Why bothering users with a big screen from those sites then?

SS (is a bad acronym and) just looses it's purpose when it pops up at random like that.

Side questions (sorry):

• I'm not too familiar with developing software with VS / for Windows. There are cheap certs out there that can be used for signing binaries (e.g. for open source projects). Can those be used to basically avoid SmartScreen?
    • Why can't VS users simply use their Microsoft ID to obtain at least some kind of cert? Or GitHub users get a cert if they manage to authenticate properly, so they can sign their .exes?

Thanks.

kiwe2000, Aug 25, 2015
Thema:

Windows Smartscreen not so cool

1. Windows Smartscreen not so cool - Similar Threads - Smartscreen cool

2. disable Windows defender SmartScreen win 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    disable Windows defender SmartScreen win 11: I have tried almost all of the suggestions I have found here and nothing works. I have a new laptop/WIN 11. I don't understand way it should be so difficult to remove this. You are interfering with the use of my computer. Can I please get some help that will allow me to...
  3. disable Windows defender SmartScreen win 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    disable Windows defender SmartScreen win 11: I have tried almost all of the suggestions I have found here and nothing works. I have a new laptop/WIN 11. I don't understand way it should be so difficult to remove this. You are interfering with the use of my computer. Can I please get some help that will allow me to...
  4. Web-Browser\Microsoft Defender SmartScreen trust

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Web-Browser\Microsoft Defender SmartScreen trust: We have an installer for our software self-extracting archive signed with a GlobalSign Code Signing Certificate. It's uploaded to our server, users can download it through our website.We have encountered a couple of problems:1 When downloading our installer from our website,...
  5. Web-Browser\Microsoft Defender SmartScreen trust

Web-Browser\Microsoft Defender SmartScreen trust: We have an installer for our software self-extracting archive signed with a GlobalSign Code Signing Certificate. It's uploaded to our server, users can download it through our website.We have encountered a couple of problems:1 When downloading our installer from our website,...
  6. "smartscreen can't be reached right now" prompt

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "smartscreen can't be reached right now" prompt: Hi MSFT I do a app with WHQL sign, today morning show this as below, may I know why this happen? is it depend on security setting of OS image or ? and how to avoid of this?...
  7. "smartscreen can't be reached right now" prompt

"smartscreen can't be reached right now" prompt: Hi MSFT I do a app with WHQL sign, today morning show this as below, may I know why this happen? is it depend on security setting of OS image or ? and how to avoid of this?...
  8. SmartScreen pops up "unrecognized app" warning

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SmartScreen pops up "unrecognized app" warning: Hello!I'm working on a release of an update for software that's been around for 5 years. We have a EV certificate with Sectigo, which I understand is supposed to help with reputation. Nevertheless, when we go to install the software, SmartScreen pops up an "unidentified app"...
  9. SmartScreen pops up "unrecognized app" warning

SmartScreen pops up "unrecognized app" warning: Hello!I'm working on a release of an update for software that's been around for 5 years. We have a EV certificate with Sectigo, which I understand is supposed to help with reputation. Nevertheless, when we go to install the software, SmartScreen pops up an "unidentified app"...
  10. Whitelist my program for Windows OS SmartScreen trust build

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Whitelist my program for Windows OS SmartScreen trust build: Hello, I am a software developer for the open-source program OpenRocket. We are about to release a new version of our program, and have already code-signed it, but Windows SmartScreen still marks the software as an unrecognized app. I think this has to do with building trust...