Windows 10: Windows Spotlight has default beach cave picture on every startup

Discus and support Windows Spotlight has default beach cave picture on every startup in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Does anyone know if there is a way to force Windows Spotlight to use a random image on each startup, as opposed to the default beach cave? I understand... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by jeffrey, Sep 23, 2015.

1. jeffrey Win User

Windows Spotlight has default beach cave picture on every startup

Does anyone know if there is a way to force Windows Spotlight to use a random image on each startup, as opposed to the default beach cave? I understand from other posts that since the user hasn't yet signed in at that point, it seems to default to that picture. However, using other 3rd party Win10 apps such as [Chameleon](https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/stor...n/9wzdncrfjb22) and other lock screen changers, I can confirm that they are able to change the lock screen picture on each startup (by doing it in the background while I'm using my pc, and then saving the changes I would assume). I would assume the "slideshow" lock screen option works in a similar manner. Why is Windows Spotlight unable to do this out of the box, considering if I choose to lock my pc Windows Spotlight shows a new image most of the time. However, at each startup it reverts to the beach photo. I rarely lock my pc, so it seems like a waste.

Is there some setting, Windows app, or registry hack I can use to get the functionality I am describing? I was thinking Windows would store all the Spotlight photos it downloads in a folder somewhere, so I could choose a lock screen "slideshow" of that hidden folder, but it seems there are logos and other files in that folder as well.

:)

jeffrey, Sep 23, 2015

2. Windows Spotlight default beach cave image does not change on start-up pre-login screen

Thank you for responding, Argel

I've checked the lock screen option in settings on my lap top. It was already set to Windows Spotlight and my internet connection has been very good since I switched to a new lap top - so for several months.

My lock screen picture was changing but it went through phases of giving me a new picture every day for a few days, then I'd have a run of the beach cave picture for several days.

Interestingly, whilst in the lock screen option in settings just now, I see that there is a slideshow option and within that one can upload an album (presumably created in pictures) - using this option, I guess users can find their favourite photos or pictures
    from the internet save them to a folder and add it.

There is also the set picture option (I believe another responder may have mentioned this). I wonder if it changes the priority of the default lock screen picture... I've added a picture and, if the order is taken into consideration, it should now be the
    default picture as it is the first one of the five suggested pictures - the beach cave is no. 3. Presumably, I can irradicate the beach cave once and for all, by adding more pictures of my choice to set pictures. (Apologies to the photographer of the beach
    cave - essentially, I can't fault it. For some unbeknownst reason, I've developed an inexplicable aversion to it.)

I really liked Microsoft's picture of Lake Bled - taken at dusk in winter so the alpine mountains, the monestary on the island and the roofs are all dusted with snow - which only appeared once but I managed to find googling so I shall see if this
    now works as my default picture...

I shall see how I get on.

Thanks again.

Nicola

Nicola Cambridge UK, Sep 23, 2015
  3. Creators Update 1703 Sign-in/Login screen Spotlight feature broken

Yes. I think that or that MS broke the Spotlight on log-in screen in CrU. Maybe they fix it in next Update or not. Who knows. The only thing that works on log-in screen is Picture. Even Slideshow won't show on log-in screen only static pic. On my two laptops
    it does not matter if I cold boot or log out. The log-in screen always shows one of default pic (cave beach,Ice cave, hill, etc.).

But on the other hand you have that buton Show lock screen background picture on the
    sign-in screen. Which now is not working like in Anivversary Update. Hmm....

SebastianByczkowski, Sep 23, 2015
  4. Windows Spotlight has default beach cave picture on every startup

Chameleon isn't a lock screen changer but a wallpaper changer for the desktop flavors. For Windows 7 some time back you would have gone with the Logon Screen app to change the start up screen when Windows was loading before the Welcome lock screen and onto the desktop. So far there hasn't been the rush to get 3rd party tweakers out for people in this area as you saw for XP first to be followed by Vista, 7, 8.

There is one option found immediately for change of the sign in screen however. How To Change Windows 10 Login Screen Background Image There's a warning on that one by someone in the comments however about that blocking the option to change the lockscreen background likely from changes in the system registry itself.

Fortunately however Ten Forums has the solution in hand! *Biggrin Review the guide for this instead of bothering with any 3rd party crapola! Lock Screen Background - Change in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Night Hawk, Sep 23, 2015
  5. jeffrey Win User
    ok, thanks for the advice!

jeffrey, Sep 24, 2015
  6. jeffrey Win User
    Your 1st link is for the login/sign in screen though, I'm looking for a way to have the lock screen Spotlight images rotate so that a new one is shown on each startup, as opposed to changing in the background (i only see them if i lock my pc) and then reverting on each boot.

jeffrey, Sep 24, 2015
  7. jeffrey Win User
    Your 2nd link is the Tenforums general post on various ways to change the logon screen (single image, slideshow, spotlight), not really specific to what I am looking for. Thanks anyway, though.

jeffrey, Sep 24, 2015
  8. Windows Spotlight has default beach cave picture on every startup

I would place a lot more trust in following the guide there until someone does come out with something more specific since 10 is still the brand new version out at the moment. In fact I still didn't get a chance to sign out yet to see if the change for a picture not slide folder option took effect. There's also an Advanced section for adjusting the delay between screens you can adjust as well.

JUST CHECKED and the change was immediate! I sign out of the local account long enough to sign in with one of the MS accounts and then went back to the local again to see the screen worked twice! The Advanced will help tweak the random views where you may have to shorten the duration in order to see a new screen on each startup or sign in.

Windows Spotlight has default beach cave picture on every startup [​IMG]

Hey a month early for Halloween! *Cool A little something taken from a 3rd party game mod for an old Steam title there.

Night Hawk, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Windows Spotlight has default beach cave picture on every startup

1. Windows Spotlight has default beach cave picture on every startup - Similar Threads - Spotlight has default

2. Spotlight pictures

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Spotlight pictures: I have said that I either Like or am Not a Fan on hundreds of photos. What bugs me is that I have to respond to the same photos. Once I'm indicated my preference regarding a given photo, why can't that be permanent vs having to do it again a few weeks later??...
  3. Spotlight pictures

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Spotlight pictures: I have said that I either Like or am Not a Fan on hundreds of photos. What bugs me is that I have to respond to the same photos. Once I'm indicated my preference regarding a given photo, why can't that be permanent vs having to do it again a few weeks later??...
  4. Spotlight pictures

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Windows 10 Spotlight has stopped working, picture will not change

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Spotlight has stopped working, picture will not change: I have been frozen on the same lockscreen picture for several weeks.I ran the fix described here: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-spotlight-stopped-working/19bd909a-d78b-4f29-b18c-8b6bad1b77c2, and rebooted.It did not work. After I select Windows...
  6. How to default lock screen to Picture instead of Spotlight

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to default lock screen to Picture instead of Spotlight: [ATTACH] Hi, guys! I hope everyone having a great holiday season. However, I am back in business and I have a question. So I am trying to set up a default lock screen for my Win 10 Pro using GPO. I found a workaround here on how to do this by placing the startup script...
  7. Spotlight pictures

Spotlight pictures: Does anyone know where the Spotlight picture of the European houses along the river was taken? I don't see the picture yet in Assets https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/spotlight-pictures/eb34e50f-4b39-475d-a04b-1d12e308f9a6
  8. Cave is blurry

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Cave is blurry: I have gone through several updates. At one point, I was not having to enter a password when I turned on the computer, but when I do, the cave is blurry and that is unpleasant. And I don't even want the cave....
  9. Spotlight picture not changinglight pictures

Spotlight picture not changinglight pictures: I'm a bit confused about the terminology of background pictures, themes and Spotlight picture. When the computer hasn't been used for a specified time, my screen savers start. If I go back to the computer and move the mouse my screensaver goes away and another Windows picture...
  10. Beach-Cave Login Screen

Beach-Cave Login Screen: Hi all, When I start my PC, i.e. from an off state as opposed to wake from sleep or hibernation, the first image I always see is that of a beach-cave photo. I would like to change this. To be clear, I'm not referring to the lock-screen image; I'm referring to the pre-login...