Windows 10: Windows Spotlight Lock screen photo not coming up on Sign-in screen

Discus and support Windows Spotlight Lock screen photo not coming up on Sign-in screen in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hello, Windows 10 Pro, fully fully updated. The following happens on two completely different machines (desktop and laptop of different manufacturers).... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by dark77, Sep 19, 2017.

1. dark77 Win User

Windows Spotlight Lock screen photo not coming up on Sign-in screen

Hello, Windows 10 Pro, fully fully updated. The following happens on two completely different machines (desktop and laptop of different manufacturers).

Up until some time ago (I believe, before Creator's Update, but not 100% certain about that), I used to have Windows Spotlight activated, so that almost every day or every other day, on lock screen, I get one of those lovely photos from Microsoft world archive. However, I not only used to get them on the Lock Screen, they were appearing on the Sign-In screen as well on the first boot-up and Sign-in, as I thought they should, as Windows Spotlight works that way (right?). And I really liked it.

But as of one update, that stopped happenning. Windows Spotlight still works fine on Lock Screen, new photos just fine, but on the sign-in screen, I keep getting the Windows 10 default backgroud photo, the beach/cave one.

Needless to say, I changed nothing in the Sign-In or Lock screen settings at all.

Any ideas on how to fix this? I've already tried the "Brinx fix". Also, needless to say, I've tried resetting the Windows Spotlight back to Photo, and reboot and back countless times.

Cheers

:)

dark77, Sep 19, 2017
  2. Mr V Win User

Windows Spotlight Lock screen photo not coming up on Sign-in screen (it's OK on Lock screen)

Hello, Windows 10 Pro, fully fully updated. The following happens on two completely different machines (desktop and laptop of different manufacturers).

Up until some time ago (I believe, before Creator's Update, but not 100% certain about that), I used to have Windows Spotlight activated, so that almost every day or every other day, on lock screen, I get one of those lovely photos from Microsoft world archive.
    However, I not only used to get them on the Lock Screen, they were appearing on the Sign-In screen as well on the first boot-up and Sign-in, as I thought they should, as Windows Spotlight works that way (right?). And I really liked it.

But as of one update, that stopped happenning. Windows Spotlight still works fine on Lock Screen, new photos just fine, but on the sign-in screen, I keep getting the Windows 10 default backgroud photo, the beach/cave one.

Needless to say, I changed nothing in the Sign-In or Lock screen settings at all.

Any ideas on how to fix this? I've already tried the
    "Brinx fix"
    . Also, needless to say, I've tried resetting the Windows Spotlight back to Photo, and reboot and back countless times.

Cheers

3. How do I eliminate Windows 10 start up photos?

JimWynne's advice failed. My computer still boots up with the annoying time wasting photo that requires an needless ENTER keystroke to get the log on password screen. JimWynne wrote "START MENU>SETTINGS>PERSONALIZATION>LOCK SCREEN then turn OFF "Windows
    Spotlight". I found no OFF choice for Windows Spotlight so I changed to Picture. Still no luck, computer boots up with the useless photo.

I also turned OFF "Lock screen background picture on the sign in screen" with no success.

AndrewFarkas1138, Sep 19, 2017
  4. Bastet Win User

Same here & has been happening since a CU in June, I've put it down to MS possibly breaking Spotlight with that CU or they've removed the feature.

Bastet, Sep 19, 2017
  5. Bree New Member
    I can't say when exactly it changed, but I can say what the behaviour now seems to be for me (Creators Update, 1703, 15063.608).

If you choose Spotlight for the lock screen and the option to show the lock screen background on the sign in screen it will still work as described - but ONLY when you lock the screen, say with WinKey+L.

However, it doesn't set the sign in screen seen at first boot. that remains as whatever was last set for 'Picture' as the lock screen background. If you've never set a Picture, this will be the default 'man cave'. My workaround is to save one of my favourite spotlight pictures and set that as the one used in the lock screen's Picture setting, then set the lock screen back to using Spotlight (at least I now get to see a picture I like on first boot).

6. dalchina New Member
    Windows Spotlight Lock screen photo not coming up on Sign-in screen [​IMG]

Hi, note the setting (marked green) - it's an option.

I found I was getting one of my own pictures on log off, on; I toggled the settings marked in red to have the Spotlight pictures back again.

Note that the screen image you see from a restart may differ from your Spotlight image- it is constructed in a different way.

dalchina, Sep 19, 2017
  7. dark77 Win User
    Thanks, but I tried that god knows how many times already and went insane it didn't work. For such a silly thing as well. In the meantime, I was a bit jammy on MS discussion forum.

Found the answer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...0-e66d13db0c7c

Found and suggested by SebastianByczkowski.

dark77, Sep 19, 2017
  8. Bastet Win User

It's only a temporary solution from what I've read.
    Here's more from another thread:
    It appears that when a user first opens an account and activates Windows Spotlight, this value gets set to 4, and Spotlight works on first boot and when signed out. But as soon as the initial image is changed to the next one, whether by selecting "Not a Fan" or just by time, the value gets changed to 0, and Spotlight no longer works on first boot or when signed out.
    There's more. Not only did SebastianByczkowski identify the problem, he also found out that the Content Delivery Manager is the program that is changing the value.
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...c-0fbbfcafb2c0

Bastet, Sep 19, 2017
  9. dark77 Win User
    Alas, you are correct. On the first reboot this morning, the image reverted to background stock photo. Grrrr.

Man, I've seen some silly programming in my time, but this is...

dark77, Sep 20, 2017
  10. Bree New Member
    As I said earlier, you can change that stock background to one of your own choosing. It doesn't fix the problem, but at least you get to see a photo you actually like.

Thema:

1. Windows Spotlight Lock screen photo not coming up on Sign-in screen - Similar Threads - Spotlight Lock screen

2. Spotlight Lock Screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Spotlight Lock Screen: Hi everybody, I know we can't personalize the Windows 10 Spotlight lock screen. It would be better if we could at least choose a preferred theme. I like these landscapes, however, if I had a choice, I would prefer painting.Thanks....
  3. Spotlight Lock Screen

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Spotlight Lock Screen: Hi everybody, I know we can't personalize the Windows 10 Spotlight lock screen. It would be better if we could at least choose a preferred theme. I like these landscapes, however, if I had a choice, I would prefer painting.Thanks....
  4. Spotlight Lock Screen

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Windows Spotlight - Lock Screen image will not show on Sign-In Screen

Windows Spotlight - Lock Screen image will not show on Sign-In Screen: Hi all, I haven't posted here before, so hopefully it's not breaching etiquette to jump straight to the question! I'm running Windows 10 Home version 1903 (Build 18362.778) on a desktop computer. A while ago, I installed DisplayFusion to help support wallpaper rotation and...
  6. Lock Screen - Windows Spotlight

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Lock Screen - Windows Spotlight: I have been getting the Windows Spotlight lock screen pictures, which are beautiful and interesting, until recently. In lock screen settings I have set it to Windows Spotlight, but I am not getting them anymore. What happened? How can I continue to get the lock screen...
  7. spotlight lock screen

spotlight lock screen: without waiting a week or two for windows to display the "Like what you see?" question, how do I find out what I'm looking at in my spotlight lock screen??? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/spotlight-lock-screen/ad43af1f-2c08-4456-8424-3e56c3709553
  8. Lock Screen and Windows Spotlight

Lock Screen and Windows Spotlight: After August update to Windows 10-1903 the pictures on the lock screen are blurred. It happens if I use Windows Spotlight or picture. Everything is fine once I get to my desktop....
  9. lock screen (windows spotlight)

lock screen (windows spotlight): My windows spotlight picture doesn't change even if connect my laptop to internet. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/lock-screen-windows-spotlight/038e1bf6-8a17-4cd5-8f63-1a96dcea8909
  10. Windows Spotlight/Lock screen

Windows Spotlight/Lock screen: Got two Win 10 Pro x64 systems in full time use, a laptop and a desktop. On the desktop the Lock screen is working as it should in default config - a new high def picture every few days, some of them quite beautiful. However on the laptop the picture never changes. I've...