Windows 10: Windows Spotlight: what makes the picture change?

Discus and support Windows Spotlight: what makes the picture change? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I have two Windows 10 Pro x64 machines. One is a desktop and another is a laptop (Lenovo ThinkPad). On both machines I work under a local... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by AndreyT, Mar 14, 2018.

1. AndreyT Win User

Windows Spotlight: what makes the picture change?

I have two Windows 10 Pro x64 machines. One is a desktop and another is a laptop (Lenovo ThinkPad). On both machines I work under a local administrative account. On both machines the 'Personalization - Lock Screen - Background' setting is set to "Windows spotlight". Both machines are constantly connected to Internet by an Ethernet connection.

At the end of the day, when I finish working on my desktop, I manually issue a 'Power - Sleep' command through the menu. Next morning I just wake it up, log in and continue working.

When I finish working on my laptop I just close the lid (which is set up to make it sleep). Next morning I open the lid, log in and continue working.

Both machines are set up to show the lock screen when coming out of sleep.

I observe that Windows spotlight images on lock screen constantly change on the desktop machine, which is apparently how it is supposed to be. But the lock screen image never changes on the laptop (the same "Lake and backpack" image every time). What could be the reason, the difference here? Why does my desktop change its Windows spotlight images, while my laptop does not?

:)

AndreyT, Mar 14, 2018
  2. Time Lady Win User

windows Lock sceen background is stuck

Are you trying to use Spotlight but it's stuck on one picture or change the picture to another?

If to get Spotlight working try this fix from Tenforum: Reset and Re-register Windows Spotlight in Windows 10 make
    sure you follow instructions to the letter especially the part about changing the setting from spotlight to picture before running the fix, make sure you wait until the fix is finished as there's a delay between the script appearing to complete & the next
    step.

Time Lady, Mar 14, 2018
  3. A picture showed up on my lock screen that I did not download. How do I delete?

Hello

What your seeing is Windows Spotlight pictures. They are pictures Microsoft thinks you will like. You can easily change from Spotlight to your own pictures by going to Start > Settings > Personalization > Lock Screen and changing from Windows Spotlight to your
    own gallery.

Hope that helps

MikeSnyder61704, Mar 14, 2018
  4. Eagle51 Win User

Hey AndreyT,
    Sorry ... I can't answer as to why, but you can try the reset / register spotlight from this tutorial - Reset and Re-register Windows Spotlight in Windows 10 Windows 10 Tutorials to try and get it working again.

Note: I don't use sleep on my desktop or laptop (they run 24/7) and both of them do the same thing. Spotlight will work fine for awhile and then just stop and default to the lake / backpack image. After doing many reset/register spotlight, I gave up using spotlight and created my own slide show of spotlight images *Smile

Eagle51, Mar 14, 2018
  5. dalchina New Member
    Spotlight can be a bit fragile. Mine broke after I had been fiddling for a bit over a year ago- I almost got it back working again - all except the Preview in Settings. After the next major build upgrade, all was fine again- and has been ever since.

So try the above tutorial- and then if necessary you could just wait for the next build upgrade.
    - I use sleep on my laptop without problems.

One thing I recall trying that seemed to nudge it back into operation was adding an app such as weather - in Settings, Spotlight.

dalchina, Mar 15, 2018
  6. Bree New Member
    Actually the "Lake and backpack" is not a Spotlight picture. It's one of the default pictures installed by Windows 10 along with the cave and the red biplane wing. It's this one...
    C:\Windows\Web\Screen\img103.png
    ...and it's what the lockscreen defaults to when Spotlight is broken.

And how!

1709 made two big changes to Spotlight. For the first time ever the Spotlight picture appears on a cold boot up, not just when locking the screen. The other change is that it seems even more fragile than before (if that's possible).

For me, at least, the tutorial link Eagle51 gave you in post #2 fixes it every time.

(I have a theory that when I turn on metered connections Spotlight breaks when it runs out of new pictures to use)

7. Al Airone Win User
    I just tried the tutorial and it worked like a charm - thanks, Brink!

There are a number of other solutions posted in MS Support forums - curiously, some people mentioned half of the solution (delete files from the Assets folder) but not mentioning the Settings folder.

Al Airone, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows Spotlight: what makes the picture change? - Similar Threads - Spotlight makes picture

2. Windows spotlight automatically changes to picture!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows spotlight automatically changes to picture!: Hey, I have been using windows 11 since a long time and I must say it is a cool experience, in my opinion I must say it has plenty of feature issues and bugs,one of the most important one is the windows spotlight feature, for some reason it doesn't work in my machine. I reset...
  3. Windows spotlight automatically changes to picture!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows spotlight automatically changes to picture!: Hey, I have been using windows 11 since a long time and I must say it is a cool experience, in my opinion I must say it has plenty of feature issues and bugs,one of the most important one is the windows spotlight feature, for some reason it doesn't work in my machine. I reset...
  4. Windows Spotlight does not change the pictures.

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Windows Spotlight does not change the pictures.: Windows Spotlight lock screen picture won't change - Microsoft Community I have followed the above step in the article given above and still the problem is not solved.i have also tried creating a new windows profile and restarted my system the problem was not solved....
  5. Windows 10 changing from the spotlight to picture

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 changing from the spotlight to picture: Hello to anyone who sees this, I recently reinstalled Windows 10 as my old HDD was corrupted and I now have an SSD. Anyways, I really like Windows 10 Spotlight and I wish to keep using it however whenever I go into the personalize window is changes from spotlight to picture....
  6. Spotlight isn't changing any pictures

in Windows 10 Customization
    Spotlight isn't changing any pictures: hi , windows spotlight pictures aren't changing from 1 day . Pls help me resolve this . Its just displaying the original picture . thx you https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/spotlight-isnt-changing-any-pictures/f53acefe-89c4-4cb4-8d66-3d0a7e6e7cd3
  7. Windows Spotlight, picture won't change

Windows Spotlight, picture won't change: When my laptop is connected to the Wi-Fi, the picture in Windows Spotlight is changing regularly. But when I connected to the internet via a cable, the picture go stuck. How to change something so that I can find a new picture when I start my laptop?...
  8. Windows spotlight not change picture?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows spotlight not change picture?: Hello to all i have an issue with new version windows 1903 windows spotlight not work and is stucked on mountain lake photo ,things that i try reset bat from windows 10 forum nothing change,delete all files from where windows spotlight saves the pics nothing...
  9. Windows Spotlight won't change the picture

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Windows Spotlight won't change the picture: Hi there, I got a HP notebook with Windows 10 and since half a month Windows Spotlight is broken and won't change the picture. I already uninstalled the update that Windows downloaded previous to when described problem occured. But Spotlight still sticks to the same picture....
  10. Windows Spotlight: what pictures are shown?

Windows Spotlight: what pictures are shown?: Hi, I have a question concerning Windows Spotlight: the pictures I see, are different from the pictures my colleagues see. How come? E.g., I never see animals on my lock screen, whereas some of my colleagues do. How are the pictures chosen? Kind regards Stijn Bousard...