Windows 10: Windows start button and volume control do not work

Discus and support Windows start button and volume control do not work in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I use the volume control constantly - start button seldom - Tried to adjust the volume yesterday and the slider did not come up. had to open Volume... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by kstavert, Jun 30, 2017.

1. kstavert Win User

Windows start button and volume control do not work

I use the volume control constantly - start button seldom -

Tried to adjust the volume yesterday and the slider did not
    come up. had to open Volume Mixer to adjust sound.

Search (cortana) doesn't work either... just checked and
    the calendar won't open .. nor will the windows notifications
    box

Tried to reboot and start menu wouldn't open.

I tried all of the things here:
    How to fix your Windows 10 Start Menu - BT

and nothing worked.

I got to " Refresh your PC"
    and got scared when I read that it
    would keep some stuffs and reset
    others... didn't want to chance losing
    important things on my PC so I backed
    out.

If anyone has experience with fixing
    this issue, I will really appreciate it.

I can't think of anything that I installed
    within the past couple of days.

I know that there was an update at
    least a week ago.

Thank you for your assistance
    Karen

:)

kstavert, Jun 30, 2017

2. Start button and Search do not work

After upgrading to Windows 10 from Windows 7 all was fine at first. Now when I click on start button, nothing happens. The same happens if I click on Search the web and Windows. I can shut down my computer by right clicking on the start button when a drop
    box appears. Help!

MichaelKetley, Jun 30, 2017
  3. dumaisp Win User
    Start button and Search do not work

Notyfy me

dumaisp, Jun 30, 2017
  4. iDamn Win User

well hello.

i for one have experienced this problem before, and spent 2 days searching for solution to no avail. watching youtube videos, they all fixed their issues but never did mine. the only way i fixed it was by doing the option you backed out on. sacrificed few of my data on C:/ but thats about it.

i would really like to see this problem goes away for you if there's anyone with a new possible workarounds. goodluck buddy

iDamn, Jun 30, 2017
  5. dalchina New Member
    Hi, which build of Windows are you running?
    Windows key + R, winver
    Please post the build number.

Have a look at your Update History
    Windows key + I, Update and Security, Update History.
    Please post a screenshot (if you can) or list the last 3 or 4 updates shown.
    To post a screenshot please use the Insert Image icon above your post to the left of the video icon.

Look at the dates and see if one relates to the start of this problem. If so please advise the update.

Now let's consider using System Restore. If you have previously enabled this and have not just upgraded to the new Creator's build you may have some useful restore points. (Restore points are deleted when you upgrade).

As you can't use the Start Menu, try Windows key + R, rstrui

See if there's a restore point you can use.
    If so, please try that and advise the outcome. If there's an error number, please quote it.

What happens if you try to launch Edge?

Try some the the things that don't work (start menu, volume control... note the time. Then use the Event Viewer (Windows key + X, Event Viewer) to look at your Event Log (Application events).
    Please post any error reports that seem related to those actions.
    ====================================
    Results of what you tried previously from the guide you quoted:

New user account:
    Please confirm you created one and advise the outcome.

Similarly please advise the outcome of running
    SFC /SCANNOW
    and
    DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
    as recommended in that guide.

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows start button and volume control do not work - Similar Threads - start button volume

2. disable by software headphones volume control buttons/pause button

in Windows 10 Gaming
    disable by software headphones volume control buttons/pause button: for some reason, my headphone plug on my computer its the one that is both microphone and sound output seems to have this problem, where the button for lowering the sound volume is activated for some reasoni had this problem with multiple different headphones and earphones,...
  3. disable by software headphones volume control buttons/pause button

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    disable by software headphones volume control buttons/pause button: for some reason, my headphone plug on my computer its the one that is both microphone and sound output seems to have this problem, where the button for lowering the sound volume is activated for some reasoni had this problem with multiple different headphones and earphones,...
  4. disable by software headphones volume control buttons/pause button

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. My volume button is not working

in Windows 10 Customization
    My volume button is not working: Hello, my volume button is not working when i click the volume with the plus sign it shows up a search box thingy in chrome and when i click the volume with the minus sign it does nothing when i click the no volume sign it shows up the chrome help center how could i fix this?...
  6. How do I turn of Windows volume double overlay (volume plus control buttons)?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I turn of Windows volume double overlay (volume plus control buttons)?: In Windows 10, changing the volume makes the volume bar show up as well as a BIG overlay panel with the name of (say) the Youtube video playing music as well as a button to pause it (before it was only for Chrome that this happened). How do I disable the second overlay?...
  7. Volume Control not working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Volume Control not working: The volume control on the lower right of the screen is not working. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/volume-control-not-working/b1c2fb65-7937-467a-97f7-05887fb37172
  8. Volume buttons are not working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Volume buttons are not working: For some reason when i turned my PC on and went on YouTube, I tried turning my volume up and it didn't work. All the other buttons on my keyboard work, except for those three. The mute, lower volume, and higher volume buttons. I need help....
  9. volume button on keyboard not working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    volume button on keyboard not working: I don't know anything about computers. I just got my laptop back after it being stuck in a different country for a month, i don't know if they touche it or what. but anyway. any time i press the volume button on my keyboard which are on the f10-f12 keys all it does it **** up...
  10. (Win 10) My start menu button and volume control button isn't working

in Windows 10 Support
    (Win 10) My start menu button and volume control button isn't working: Whenever I press the start menu button at the bottom left corner, the menu does not pop up so I can not use any of my apps. Same with the volume button. Whenever I press it, the horizontal rectangle volume control does not appear so I have to right click to change my volume....