Windows 10: windows start button no left click

Discus and support windows start button no left click in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello I have just upgraded from seven to ten. At first things were ok but I no longer have anything on the windows icon with left click. Also the new... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Littleknown, Oct 14, 2015.

1. windows start button no left click

Hello
    I have just upgraded from seven to ten. At first things were ok but I no longer have anything on the windows icon with left click. Also the new browser will not start and internet explorer browser icon went away.
    Can I do another free upgrade by using system restore? Thanks.

:)

Littleknown, Oct 14, 2015
  2. Portsky Win User

no left click on start button I can right-click and get a menu, but it's not the same menu I'd get if I left-clicked. How can I fix this?

Inexplicably, the left click started working again, even though I did nothing to attempt to correct it.

Portsky, Oct 14, 2015
  3. Pavan_N Win User
    no left click on start button I can right-click and get a menu, but it's not the same menu I'd get if I left-clicked. How can I fix this?

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and frustration you have been through. I will be glad to assist you.

1. What exactly happens when you left click on Start Button?

2. Do you get any error message?

3. Have you installed all pending Windows and driver updates?

If you right click on Start Button you will get System, Device Manager and Disk Management etc. these are shortcuts to system settings. However if you left click on Start Button you can see apps and other options like File Explorer, Power and All apps etc.
    these are two different Menu to get easy access to your computer.

When you left click on Start Button if you get Start Menu then you might have accidently activated Tablet Mode. Hoover Mouse point on system tray and click on Notification icon and check if Tablet Mode is activated. If it’s activated click on it to deactivate.
    Then try to left click on Start Menu and check. If the issue persists I suggest you to refer the link suggested by

M. Hamer on February 20, 2016

Follow the steps given in the link below to provide the screenshot.

How to include a screenshot in your post

How to include a screenshot in your post

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Thanks

Pavan_N, Oct 14, 2015
  4. spapakons Win User

windows start button no left click

Yes, your key is registered at Microsoft's server so you can reinstall anytime. You can also make a clean install, that is go straight to 10. If I understood correctly you mean that your recent programs list is blank. Yes, this is normal, don't worry. Once you open some programs again the list will fill up. Windows 10 by default hide Internet Explorer and put Microsoft Edge on the taskbar instead. Edge is of very limited use because it supports only Adobe Flash, no Java, no anything else! So you better get rid of it and return to Internet Explorer. Right-click on the Edge icon and select Unpin. Now click on the search icon and type Internet. Click on Internet Explorer and then right-click on its icon and select Pin. Now you have your familiar Internet Explorer back. However, Edge is made default program for internet. To make Internet Explorer default, click on the search icon and type control. Click to open the Control Panel and then click on View by Large icons to see all controls. Click on Default Programs and then Set your default programs. Wait for the list to load and then click on Internet Explorer and Set this program as default and OK.

Remember that Adobe Flash is updated automatically from Windows Update. You can manually update Adobe shockwave, Java and other plugins. I also add WebM video playback support with this utility from Google.

spapakons, Oct 14, 2015
  5. Nothing happens when I right click on edge. Nothing happens when I left click on windows start logo. Nothing happens when I click on search. I can only get to IE by going through an email link!
    The only thing I did after the upgrade was to remove a game program and run augistics registry cleaner.

6. spapakons Win User
    Why did you run the registry cleaner for? It may have done some damage to the Registry and hence your problems. If you have a Windows 10 DVD-ROM you may boot with it and select Repair my computer. Then choose to go at System Restore and return to an restore point before you run the utility. If you don't have a DVD-ROM, restart your computer and reset (or hold power to shutdown) before it fully loads Windows. If you do that 2-3 times you will eventually see the troubleshooting screen. From the tools select the System Restore option and load an earlier restore point. It is not advised to use Registry tools unless you know exactly what you are doing.

spapakons, Oct 14, 2015
  7. OK I have reverted back to seven for now. Before going to ten I had used the Auslogic registry cleaner routinely for years with no problems with it.
    Another question. Will a Seagate 1.5Tb free agent xtreme USB external drive play nice with ten? I could not get it recognized when running ten. If I can not use my external back up drive with ten then I will stay with seven.

8. spapakons Win User

Probably you have to reinstall USB 3.0 drivers after you upgrade to 10. When connecting to USB 2.0 port the drive should have to problems. To connect to USB 3.0 (blue) port you must first reinstall the drivers.

As for the Registry utility, while it can work OK in Windows 7, there is no guarantee it will work OK in 10. Try installing a newer version that might support 10.

spapakons, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. windows start button no left click - Similar Threads - start button left

2. Touchpad Buttons Right Click and Left Click not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Touchpad Buttons Right Click and Left Click not working: For some reason I had to do a clean install of Windows via an Installation Media in which I formatted my C Drive and then installed a fresh copy of Windows 11 on it. However, after all this, my laptop's built-in mouse buttons found near touchpad have totally stopped working....
  3. Touchpad Buttons Right Click and Left Click not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Touchpad Buttons Right Click and Left Click not working: For some reason I had to do a clean install of Windows via an Installation Media in which I formatted my C Drive and then installed a fresh copy of Windows 11 on it. However, after all this, my laptop's built-in mouse buttons found near touchpad have totally stopped working....
  4. Windows 11 Start button not working Left Click

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Start button not working Left Click: I just updated to Windows 11, Version 22H2 and my left click on my start button no longer works. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-11-start-button-not-working-left-click/78cae092-784c-4b76-843d-a08957ed09ad
  5. Windows 11 Start button not working Left Click

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Start button not working Left Click: I just updated to Windows 11, Version 22H2 and my left click on my start button no longer works. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-11-start-button-not-working-left-click/78cae092-784c-4b76-843d-a08957ed09ad
  6. Start Menu button not working, clicking the left mouse button on any element from the taks...

in Cortana
    Start Menu button not working, clicking the left mouse button on any element from the taks...: I accidentally deleted Microsoft.Cortana from SystemApps and ShellExperience now doesn't work. I ran sfc /scannow and it restored the files BUT start button still doesn't work. I feel like I'm missing something. Help pls....
  7. Start button (except left click) and others dont work with right click

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Start button (except left click) and others dont work with right click: Using window 10 and everything was fine and one day lost the icon tray when right clicking the start button. Did a sfc scannow and came up: Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. Details are included in the CBS.Log...
  8. Start button and task bar can not left click to open items

in Windows 10 Support
    Start button and task bar can not left click to open items: Hi Have a weird issue I have experienced in the past. First this was all working fine earlier no issues then all of a sudden I tried to open my weather channel app which I had been pulling up fine all day just stopped where it would open and then close immediately. I...
  9. Start button left click nothing happens

in Windows 10 Support
    Start button left click nothing happens: Have a Dell XPS 11. Clicking left on start button should open Cortana and Start Options. Nothing happens. There's a hamburger on the top left which will bring up the start menu, Most Used, Recently Added and File Explorer, Settings, etc. At the bottom, Power Symbol and a...
  10. The Windows "Start" button on taskbar doesn't work with left-click

in Windows 10 Support
    The Windows "Start" button on taskbar doesn't work with left-click: I have four computers running Win10. On two of them the windows "Start" button on the task bar doesn't work. So I can't get to Settings or Apps. I can right click on the Start button and get the "right-click menu". All of the other task bar buttons work. What's going on...