Windows 10: Windows Start Menu and Taskbar Don't Work

Discus and support Windows Start Menu and Taskbar Don't Work in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, on occasion when I mouse over either the start bar or the taskbar it doesn't change colour like it usually does (the little blue background it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by JackaloMoss, Dec 18, 2015.

1. Windows Start Menu and Taskbar Don't Work

Hi, on occasion when I mouse over either the start bar or the taskbar it doesn't change colour like it usually does (the little blue background it changes to for instance) and it doesn't let me click on them. As well as this, it doesn't let me click on any window that isn't the currently selected one. I've tried running SFC /scannow but it says there's no problem, as well as reinstalling windows apps with powershell.

There doesn't seem to be any noticeable way to recreate this happening reliably, it just happens completely randomly. I've found a way to fix it when it comes up, which is to run any program in administrator mode (I usually run cmd in administration mode by opening it with my keyboard and holding ctrl shift enter) and then when the message asking if I want to open it in administration mode comes up, entering yes with my keyboard. When I do this it fixes it back to normal.

Thank you for any help.

:)

JackaloMoss, Dec 18, 2015
  2. AndrewD88 Win User

Start menu and taskbar don't appear to be working...

My apps won't minimise to the taskbar, not sure where they go but I can retrieve them using the task manager (CTRL ALT DEL) but not exactly a streamlined computing experrience. My Start button does nothing when I click it as well. It does acknowledge
    via a green temporary colour change but no menu appears.

AndrewD88, Dec 18, 2015
  3. AndrewD88 Win User
    Start menu and taskbar don't appear to be working...

Google was operating with "no sandbox". Not sure what this means but I went into Google properties and changed the file name by removing "no-sandbox". Google now works without warnings and my start button and tool bar is back. Not sure what the issue
    was but it is resolved.

AndrewD88, Dec 18, 2015
  4. davidhk Win User

Windows Start Menu and Taskbar Don't Work

Give this a try...............................

Right click at it > click Command Prompt (Admin) > type powershell > press Enter key.
    At the flashing prompt, copy and paste this command line ( to avoid typo it's best to apply Copy/paste method)......
    Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

> press Enter.

davidhk, Dec 18, 2015
  5. As I said in the opening post, I have already done that, thank you anyway.

JackaloMoss, Dec 18, 2015
  6. davidhk Win User
    Sorry, I don't see anywhere from your original post mentioning that you had already done that.

But, if you say so, then I apologize for repeating something you have already tried.

davidhk, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Windows Start Menu and Taskbar Don't Work

1. Windows Start Menu and Taskbar Don't Work - Similar Threads - Start Menu Taskbar

2. Taskbar/start menu not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Taskbar/start menu not working: have Windows 10, it was working great since upgraded. Today I turn it on and now when I click the Start button or Windows key, the mouse just looks like it is loading, the taskbar flashes, and nothing comes up. I'm not able to use the search bar, and I can't right click apps...
  3. Taskbar/start menu not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Taskbar/start menu not working: have Windows 10, it was working great since upgraded. Today I turn it on and now when I click the Start button or Windows key, the mouse just looks like it is loading, the taskbar flashes, and nothing comes up. I'm not able to use the search bar, and I can't right click apps...
  4. Start menu and taskbar not working on start-up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start menu and taskbar not working on start-up: Hi there,I have a problem with my pc.When i start up windows 10, i can log-in and i get to my desktop, but my start menu and taskbar still need to load in for 5-10 mins. Ive tried resetting the pc, getting a new one and using windows 11 bypass TPM 2.0 and secure boot on...
  5. Start menu and taskbar not working on start-up

Start menu and taskbar not working on start-up: Hi there,I have a problem with my pc.When i start up windows 10, i can log-in and i get to my desktop, but my start menu and taskbar still need to load in for 5-10 mins. Ive tried resetting the pc, getting a new one and using windows 11 bypass TPM 2.0 and secure boot on...
  6. Start menu and taskbar not working on start-up

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Start Menu, Taskbar and Apps not working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Start Menu, Taskbar and Apps not working: I have recently built a PC for gaming and it has been working for a month perfectly fine, but about a week ago, I have started to get the error critical_process_died frequently, and a few days ago, the taskbar stop showing apps and the start menu stopped working, it also...
  8. Start menu and taskbar not working

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Start menu and taskbar not working: My system has lately been experiencing issues with the Start menu and taskbar. When I power my device on and click on the Start button, the menu doesn't appear. I can right click on the Start button or press Win + X to get to my properties, but left clicking does nothing. The...
  9. shortcuts don't work on start or taskbar

shortcuts don't work on start or taskbar: Just installed Windows 10 - totally successful BUT: no shortcuts/links work in start menu, desktop or taskbar except for links to modern UI apps. Even weirder - shortcuts work if palced in saem directory as the target file/exe but not if then moved elsewhere, like desktop....
  10. Start menu, and taskbar not working in windows 10.

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu, and taskbar not working in windows 10.: Hi all I have a an Asus desktop PC running windows 10, my son was playing minecraft last night and said that firefox came up wityh an error message, and then the start menu and taskbar stopped working, also all of the icons have gone from the task bar and stardock fences...