Windows 10: Windows Start, Search, Notification Stopped working

Discus and support Windows Start, Search, Notification Stopped working in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; This may have been addressed already. The Start, Search, and Notification features stopped working today for the ADMIN User. They do nothing when I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by gtspeck, Oct 21, 2015.

1. gtspeck Win User

Windows Start, Search, Notification Stopped working

This may have been addressed already.
    The Start, Search, and Notification features stopped working today for the ADMIN User. They do nothing when I click on them.
    They are working for other users on the same PC.
    Haven't updated anything except Java.
    Need to know how to reset them for the ADMIN User. For whatever reason, only the admin user is affective.
    Any help resolving this issue would be appreciative.

:)

gtspeck, Oct 21, 2015
  2. JRG_981 Win User

Start Menu Not Working

I'm having the exact same issue - Windows 10 was working just fine, and then the start menu, search box, and the notifications stopped completely.

JRG_981, Oct 21, 2015
  3. Day 2: Start Button

Day 2 into Windows 10 and Start Button suddenly stopped working. Not only the Start Button but the following as well:

Notification Center

Search

Upgraded from Windows 7 Home Basic 25 hours ago.

Gelo de Guzman, Oct 21, 2015
  4. Whatphoeb Win User

Run the following command in an elevated command prompt, to run the System File Checker.
    sfc /scannow
    Restart after the scan is over and see if it helped.

Repair Windows Image. Open an elevated CMD copy-paste the following and hit Enter
    Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Restart after the scan is over and see if it helped.

Make Start full screen and back. Enable Tablet Mode and Start Screen and then go back. See if this toggling has helped.
    Open an elevated PowerShell window type the following and press Enter:

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}
    To open an elevated PowerShell prompt, type PowerShellp in taskbar Search, and in the result ‘Windows Powershell’ which appears, right-click and select Run as administrator.
    May be a third party application is causing this issue, perform clean boot and check if it helps.
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

Whatphoeb, Oct 21, 2015
  5. gtspeck Win User
    Thanks for the advise. I tried all of your ideas prior to posting for help, and none of them fixed the issue.
    This morning I did a system restore and that did the trick. I also uninstalled Java and reinstalled it since that was the only change I made. Again that for the help.*Smile

gtspeck, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows Start, Search, Notification Stopped working - Similar Threads - Start Search Notification

2. Search and Start Menu Stopped Working

in Cortana
    Search and Start Menu Stopped Working: Windows searched suddenly stopped working for me, and it's become extremely annoying. I can't click in the search box in either the taskbar or windows explorer. It looks like something resets and I can't type anything in either window. Furthermore, clicking on anything in the...
  3. Search and Start Menu Stopped Working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Search and Start Menu Stopped Working: Windows searched suddenly stopped working for me, and it's become extremely annoying. I can't click in the search box in either the taskbar or windows explorer. It looks like something resets and I can't type anything in either window. Furthermore, clicking on anything in the...
  4. Search and Start Menu Stopped Working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Start, cortana, search, notification stopped working on my laptop

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Start, cortana, search, notification stopped working on my laptop: Guys I have a Asus tuf fx504 running Windows 10 home. I recently faced this issue. Tried many methods from the internet but it didn't work finally reinstalled windows and it worked fine. But after 3 days the same problem...please help submitted by /u/Shot-Dimension-4822...
  6. windows start button and search box stopped working

in Cortana
    windows start button and search box stopped working: windows start button and search box stopped working https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-start-button-and-search-box-stopped/ad7b97bd-6e0d-4d84-a0f7-ea6634a7d8fe"
  7. Start/Notification/Cortana/Search Stop Working

in Windows 10 Support
    Start/Notification/Cortana/Search Stop Working: Hi All, I've got a system here which is acting up and I'm looking for ideas of how to resolve. Specs are: Windows 10 Home (upgraded from W8.1) i7-3632 8GB RAM 64bit Inspiron 17R5720 laptop Here's the problem: Everything works fine upon boot, but then, something...
  8. Start Menu , Search and Notifications not work

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu , Search and Notifications not work: Hello , suddenly my start menu , search and notifications not work. Even if i click on it it dont opens. I did this solution with this copy pasta at PowerShell but dont works : Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register...
  9. Windows Start menu and Cortana/ Search stopped working

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Start menu and Cortana/ Search stopped working: Have the Anniversary edition. Suddenly the start menu and Cortana have stoped working. As has right click menus on the start bar? It was okay after the initial install?? Have tried several restarts but no change. Dan 60994
  10. Start menu, Notifications and Apps stopped working.

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu, Notifications and Apps stopped working.: So yesterday I was just watching some videos on youtube and then the screen flashed for a second and started everything started acting up. I restarted my computer and since then, the start menu, notifications and all apps like the xbox app and store app no longer work. I did...